Besides firing or getting rid of his position with UM, what can Mario do (realistically) to succeed here going forward?

Mario is a egotistic meathead. We spouted the same solutions last year and he hasn't changed. He isn't going to now either.
Fire him or live in this football abyss...
We will choose abyss... we have for 20 years. Why change??

Advertisement
What you're saying is fine, but in my opinion it's not reasonable or realistic. Where do you draw the line???? This is a world and an industry with FINITE resources. I know we all think we are all of a sudden rich.....but I've been a fan long enough to know that these resources can change, disappear, or be curtailed overnight. What you're asking for would require ANOTHER expensive hire. Let's recap what Mario would then NEED in order to win:

- A good offensive coordinator. This one is not negotiable and cannot be argued. OC is THE most important staff position in the modern game given how slanted toward offense the game as a whole has become. This option is EXPENSIVE. If done correctly, this process will also inherently have TURNOVER. That turnover will make the position more EXPENSIVE.
- A good defensive coordinator. This option, over the long haul, will/should also be EXPENSIVE .
- This new proposed veteran on staff. You'll likely have to pay him more than the average position coach to get someone willing to hold Mario's hand. You'll also likely need to find someone that doesn't have aspirations to achieve something greater since he likely won't get much credit for any success Mario has here.

Re-read everything I just typed above. You would need ALL OF THAT just to make Mario a winner. It begs the question, what human being with a functioning brain and a basic understanding of football WOULDN'T succeed with those types of resources??? What value is Mario bringing to the program?

The low IQ "anti mope" police on this board will eventually re-hype themselves towards the tail end of the offseason and begin building themselves and this board up for a great turnaround, but I personally like to look at this objectively and realistically. Mario himself is EXPENSIVE and requires EXPENSIVE toys around him to make it work.

Now that you've read all that. Realize it's coming from someone who is ROOTING FOR MARIO. I'm a former CCHS student. My son currently goes to CCHS. There is no one on the planet that wants Mario to succeed more than I do. With all that said....it was a mistake not hiring Lane Kiffin. I said it THEN, I say it NOW, and I'll say it four years from now. In the modern CFB game you have to be able to play chess on gameday. Even if Mario gets his wish and builds a "Michigan 2.0" he's never going to have the football acumen that Harbaugh has....which just inherently puts him at disadvantage when you are trying to eventually take down the big boys in a playoff setting.
The best thing any company could do with Mario is to can him. Move on. Unfortunately, that’s not an option here for whatever reason. Keeping him around is going to eventually cost the U much more than his salary.

The best thing any company could do with Mario is to can him. Move on. Unfortunately, that’s not an option here for whatever reason. Keeping him around is going to eventually cost the U much more than his salary.

We have said this since Coker... but Hecht continues to do the same .... ineptitude continues. We have trademarked it.

Maybe not run up the middle on every ******* 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and short.
We were converting on most of those short yardage situations early in the season. Looked like our short yardage woes from the Shannon, Golden, and Diaz eras were finally over.

Then came conference play and we started getting stuffed on most of those short yardage situations. We didn’t adapt much. A few plays here and there where we got creative, but it was not near enough once we started struggling with our short yardage game.

I don’t know the true percentages, but I feel like we were converting on an 80% success rate on those short yardage runs for the first 4 games of the season. From then on, it felt like we converted about 10% of those short yardage runs, including some brutal stops where all we needed for 2 plays was to just pick up one foot and we couldn’t get it done.

Advertisement
Undisciplined play and poor in game management aside…

Step ******* one. Stop meddling with your coordinators. Nobody will be able to convince me that’s Dawsons offense.

- Actually land Cam Ward and hope he's the first QB to play under Mario post-Herbert who's capable of temporarily shedding his reputation as a QB killer.

- Come to the realization that the 1990's Big 10 offense we've trotted out for much of his tenure thus far is the equivalent of Golden & D'Onofrio's philosophy of passive "wefense" that we all suffered through. An offense with a foundation of condensed formation, conversative, predictable, ooga booga bull**** keeps us in dogfights with equally terrible opponents and is doomed to fail spectacularly.

- Having a top OL should make you want to have a balanced attack with the consistent threat of a dynamic vertical passing game. It shouldn't make you salivate at the thought of constantly playing in a phonebooth for four quarters.

- Less Cam McCormick, Jonathan Denis, Logan Sagapolu, Thomas Gore, Lou Cristobal types out of the portal. Too many inexcusably poor additions who prove to be net negatives with any semblance of extended playing time. We should be aiming far higher at DB than pursuing backups from Vanderbilt and slow, undersized, thrice-benched at OU Jaden Davis.

- Realize that recruiting speedsters, i.e. Chris Johnson, means absolutely nothing if they never see the field and are never put in positions to threaten defenses.

- Outsource every part of his job as a head coach except for recruiting to far more capable, intelligent people.

Advertisement
Assuming he won't resign he needs to not be involved with the offense at all. He also needs Zo or basically anyone else to hire the offensive coordinators going forward.

Actually, let's focus on what he's actually good at as that is much faster. He needs to focus on recruiting and the o-line and that's literally it. He's very good at those two things and dog**** at everything else.
Is there something in his contact that would preclude this? You know Zo has got to see his shortcomings (Marios) and would/should let Mario know, you recruit we will take care of hiring this day fwd. We will also be hiring a clock manager and a special teams coach etc etc.
Win win I would think....either Mario says KMA and leaves or he gets the help he needs and we get a free win or 2.

We were converting on most of those short yardage situations early in the season. Looked like our short yardage woes from the Shannon, Golden, and Diaz eras were finally over.

Then came conference play and we started getting stuffed on most of those short yardage situations. We didn’t adapt much. A few plays here and there where we got creative, but it was not near enough once we started struggling with our short yardage game.

I don’t know the true percentages, but I feel like we were converting on an 80% success rate on those short yardage runs for the first 4 games of the season. From then on, it felt like we converted about 10% of those short yardage runs, including some brutal stops where all we needed for 2 plays was to just pick up one foot and we couldn’t get it done.
Do you remember who our opponents were early in the season?

I’m watching the Clemson Kentucky game and thinking, there isn’t anyway we beat either one of these type of teams next year.
We are overwhelmed with questions basically at every position to fix in one offseason.

Our only hope is that everyone plugs into Restrepo type training mentality and physically.
Right now X is all we got , just (3) years ago X was like scout team 5th string WR really no D-I skills and now he’s ELITE NFL ready WR 1st day selection next year

You would think these kids would say X we want what you have . X would love to help and lead BUT most kids just don’t have it in them
This just maybe or problem , these kids should be calling home telling mommy I’m stay at school making me better and our team with X as my leader and mentor.

I wonder how many are doing that right now ?

It wouldn’t shock me to know X only takes new years off then starts right in again the day after ALONE

GOCANES

Do you remember who our opponents were early in the season?
Yes, those opponents weren’t world beaters by all means. We actually struggled running the ball in the A&M game. However, most of our ACC opponents weren’t world beaters either and were not good at stopping the run minus a couple teams. Yet, they all turned into the 2000 Baltimore Ravens on crucial short yardage situations.

Advertisement
he is not changing, and unless somehow he miraculously improves we start each season with 2 losses guaranteed because of game mgmt.

Find a homeless man on the side of the road to take over in game coaching and timeouts.

Don't have to look that far .... my wife could do a better job ... she was screaming her head off "take a time out" what is he doing?
Lol my wife would be a top notch time management coordinator. You should see how she manages the kids daily and she plays no mofoin games. I would love seeing her say hey basura time out now to Mario. She would make him reconsider his line of work with how she would handle him

Advertisement
- Actually land Cam Ward and hope he's the first QB to play under Mario post-Herbert who's capable of temporarily shedding his reputation as a QB killer.

- Come to the realization that the 1990's Big 10 offense we've trotted out for much of his tenure thus far is the equivalent of Golden & D'Onofrio's philosophy of passive "wefense" that we all suffered through. An offense with a foundation of condensed formation, conversative, predictable, ooga booga bull**** keeps us in dogfights with equally terrible opponents and is doomed to fail spectacularly.

- Having a top OL should make you want to have a balanced attack with the consistent threat of a dynamic vertical passing game. It shouldn't make you salivate at the thought of constantly playing in a phonebooth for four quarters.

- Less Cam McCormick, Jonathan Denis, Logan Sagapolu, Thomas Gore, Lou Cristobal types out of the portal. Too many inexcusably poor additions who prove to be net negatives with any semblance of extended playing time. We should be aiming far higher at DB than pursuing backups from Vanderbilt and slow, undersized, thrice-benched at OU Jaden Davis.

- Realize that recruiting speedsters, i.e. Chris Johnson, means absolutely nothing if they never see the field and are never put in positions to threaten defenses.

- Outsource every part of his job as a head coach except for recruiting to far more capable, intelligent people.

Maybe the best medicine would be for Cam to go elsewhere after saying he didn't want to be part of this mess of an offense... maybe..
...maybe Mr. Fizycal will get the message and change..

This, right here, is the critical piece in turning the program around long-term. Problem is, Cristobal seems totally incapable of doing so.

Oregon's worst offensive seasons under Mark Helfrich were still better than Cristobal's best. The Oregon fanbase demonized OC Marcus Arroyo and things only got worse under OC Joe Moorehead. The common denominator was the head coach and his inability to delegate to his coordinators.

I'll start simple.. Mario needs to understand that TE's can be used for something other than blocking and get the **** out of the OC's way.

The model for Mario's success here is pretty simple.

-He needs two wartime consiglieres at the coordinator spots who can properly utilitize the talent Mario acquires.
-Mario should be allowed to wear a headset on gameday for appearances, but it should be unplugged.

That's reality folks. It's the reason Mario wasn't the first, second, or third choice for some of us.

"Mario should be allowed to wear a headset on gameday for appearances, but it should be unplugged."

Best comment on here in a while.

Advertisement
Back