Besides firing or getting rid of his position with UM, what can Mario do (realistically) to succeed here going forward?

filmcane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
Here are a couple of things he needs to do in order to actually become a success here, because at present, the team's scoreboard performance is no worse than if Manny had stayed:
  • Discipline - when he arrived, he preached discipline and accountability, yet we still commit stupid penalties that alter the outcome of games. Why was Jacolby played for the entire game? That sends the wrong signal to the team in multiple ways and one of those many ways is that there won't be consequences for harming and/or costing the team.
  • Game day - I know everyone locally and in national media is all over him about it, but if he's not holding players accountable for hurting the team, why would we expect he'll hold himself accountable? He HAS to take real action. It's a problem and he's not fulfilling the covenant that he made with the school, the players, parents, alums, fans and community. It's a problem and that is an empirical truth. If he can't truly see that and be willing to take steps toward improving this, he will not make it here and when he fails here, like so many before him, he will be damaged goods. Gotta put structures in place to insulate himself from ******** up games.
  • Dark Night Of The Soul - If he'd like to keep his career, not the Miami job, but his career as a HC, he will have to humble himself, do a lot of introspection and ask himself what is most important to him: A. avoiding hurt ego and feelings, or B. winning at a big level and being a success. It's an oversimplification, but there it is - he either has to make some hard, and self-effacing decisions, and make real, structural changes, or he will go the HC-way of Al Golden, Randy Shannon, Larry Coker, etc.
Thoughts?

Advertisement
A lot of pro staff have game clock management staff. Literally their job is to say, “coach, you’ve got 2, with the amount of time left we need to use 1.” That sounds so childish to need a position like that but we said the same thing about “get back” coaches. Now those guys are pretty important.

Assuming he won't resign he needs to not be involved with the offense at all. He also needs Zo or basically anyone else to hire the offensive coordinators going forward.

Actually, let's focus on what he's actually good at as that is much faster. He needs to focus on recruiting and the o-line and that's literally it. He's very good at those two things and dog**** at everything else.

The model for Mario's success here is pretty simple.

-He needs two wartime consiglieres at the coordinator spots who can properly utilitize the talent Mario acquires.
-Mario should be allowed to wear a headset on gameday for appearances, but it should be unplugged.

That's reality folks. It's the reason Mario wasn't the first, second, or third choice for some of us.

Advertisement
Here are a couple of things he needs to do in order to actually become a success here, because at present, the team's scoreboard performance is no worse than if Manny had stayed:
  • Discipline - when he arrived, he preached discipline and accountability, yet we still commit stupid penalties that alter the outcome of games. Why was Jacolby played for the entire game? That sends the wrong signal to the team in multiple ways and one of those many ways is that there won't be consequences for harming and/or costing the team.
  • Game day - I know everyone locally and in national media is all over him about it, but if he's not holding players accountable for hurting the team, why would we expect he'll hold himself accountable? He HAS to take real action. It's a problem and he's not fulfilling the covenant that he made with the school, the players, parents, alums, fans and community. It's a problem and that is an empirical truth. If he can't truly see that and be willing to take steps toward improving this, he will not make it here and when he fails here, like so many before him, he will be damaged goods. Gotta put structures in place to insulate himself from ******** up games.
  • Dark Night Of The Soul - If he'd like to keep his career, not the Miami job, but his career as a HC, he will have to humble himself, do a lot of introspection and ask himself what is most important to him: A. avoiding hurt ego and feelings, or B. winning at a big level and being a success. It's an oversimplification, but there it is - he either has to make some hard, and self-effacing decisions, and make real, structural changes, or he will go the HC-way of Al Golden, Randy Shannon, Larry Coker, etc.
Thoughts?

Personnel decisions too....both during the season and in the bowl games.

He needs a veteran coach on staff who can advise him about game day coaching. @Jedi Master Cane said consiglieres as coordinators, but I'd say it should be someone who doesn't have as much skin in the game, but does have a ton of experience.

What you're saying is fine, but in my opinion it's not reasonable or realistic. Where do you draw the line???? This is a world and an industry with FINITE resources. I know we all think we are all of a sudden rich.....but I've been a fan long enough to know that these resources can change, disappear, or be curtailed overnight. What you're asking for would require ANOTHER expensive hire. Let's recap what Mario would then NEED in order to win:

- A good offensive coordinator. This one is not negotiable and cannot be argued. OC is THE most important staff position in the modern game given how slanted toward offense the game as a whole has become. This option is EXPENSIVE. If done correctly, this process will also inherently have TURNOVER. That turnover will make the position more EXPENSIVE.
- A good defensive coordinator. This option, over the long haul, will/should also be EXPENSIVE .
- This new proposed veteran on staff. You'll likely have to pay him more than the average position coach to get someone willing to hold Mario's hand. You'll also likely need to find someone that doesn't have aspirations to achieve something greater since he likely won't get much credit for any success Mario has here.

Re-read everything I just typed above. You would need ALL OF THAT just to make Mario a winner. It begs the question, what human being with a functioning brain and a basic understanding of football WOULDN'T succeed with those types of resources??? What value is Mario bringing to the program?

The low IQ "anti mope" police on this board will eventually re-hype themselves towards the tail end of the offseason and begin building themselves and this board up for a great turnaround, but I personally like to look at this objectively and realistically. Mario himself is EXPENSIVE and requires EXPENSIVE toys around him to make it work.

Now that you've read all that. Realize it's coming from someone who is ROOTING FOR MARIO. I'm a former CCHS student. My son currently goes to CCHS. There is no one on the planet that wants Mario to succeed more than I do. With all that said....it was a mistake not hiring Lane Kiffin. I said it THEN, I say it NOW, and I'll say it four years from now. In the modern CFB game you have to be able to play chess on gameday. Even if Mario gets his wish and builds a "Michigan 2.0" he's never going to have the football acumen that Harbaugh has....which just inherently puts him at disadvantage when you are trying to eventually take down the big boys in a playoff setting.

Mario is F****** moron! And someone needs to do something about all these players sitting on their team and opting out of games, it's BS!

Advertisement
Hire someone who is solely responsible for all game day decisions.

See a psychiatrist and/or genie, someone who can rid his mind of his neanderthal, slow ball control mentality.

Start there.

Oh yeah, take Dennis Smith’s goofy *** social media away. We have other staffs clowning him/us.

His focus needs to stay on recruiting. Let the coordinators control the live action. Period.

Tell Dawson to run what he did in Houston in ‘22.

It’s not a coincidence that the only success Dawson ever had was when he lost his RB and had to go true Air Raid.

What you're saying is fine, but in my opinion it's not reasonable or realistic. This is a world and an industry with FINITE resources. I know we all think we are all of a sudden rich.....but I've been a fan long enough to know that these resources can change, disappear, or be curtailed overnight. What you're asking for would require ANOTHER expensive hire. Let's recap what Mario would then NEED in order to win:

- A good offensive coordinator. This one is not negotiable and cannot be argued. OC is THE most important staff position in the modern game given how slanted toward offense the game as a whole has become. This option is EXPENSIVE. If done correctly, this process will also inherently have TURNOVER. That turnover will make the position more EXPENSIVE.
- A good defensive coordinator. This option, over the long haul, will/should also be EXPENSIVE .
- This new proposed veteran on staff. You'll likely have to pay him more than the average position coach to get someone willing to hold Mario's hand. You'll also likely need to find someone that doesn't have aspirations to achieve something greater since he likely won't get much credit for any success Mario has here.

Re-read everything I just typed above. You would need ALL OF THAT just to make Mario a winner. It begs the question, what human being with a functioning brain and a basic understanding of football WOULDN'T succeed with those types of resources??? What value is Mario bringing to the program?

The low IQ "anti mope" police on this board will eventually re-hype themselves towards the tail end of the offseason and begin building themselves and this board up for a great turnaround, but I personally like to look at this objectively and realistically. Mario himself is EXPENSIVE and requires EXPENSIVE toys around him to make it work.

Now that you've read all that. Realize it's coming from someone who is ROOTING FOR MARIO. I'm a former CCHS student. My son currently goes to CCHS. There is no one on the planet that wants Mario to succeed more than I do. With all that said....it was a mistake not hiring Lane Kiffin. I said it THEN, I say it NOW, and I'll say it four years from now. In the modern CFB game you have to be able to play chess on gameday. Even if Mario gets his wish and builds a "Michigan 2.0" he's never going to have the football acumen that Harbaugh has....which just inherently puts him at disadvantage when you are trying to eventually take down the big boys in a playoff setting.
I would like for Mario to be the guy too. He has the gravitas to pull it in the money and recruits to make it happen. I'm not trying to draw too many conclusions from the bowl game because it really isn't the same as a regular season game.

That said, It doesn't have to be an expensive hire. We have Ed O enjoying his retirement while spending plenty of time on campus. If he were asked, do you think he'd want top dollar?

Advertisement
He simply needs to understand what he’s good at and more importantly, what he’s not. Stay away from what you’re not good at. Aka let the coordinators be in charge of their side of the ball including timeout usage.

What you're saying is fine, but in my opinion it's not reasonable or realistic. Where do you draw the line???? This is a world and an industry with FINITE resources. I know we all think we are all of a sudden rich.....but I've been a fan long enough to know that these resources can change, disappear, or be curtailed overnight. What you're asking for would require ANOTHER expensive hire. Let's recap what Mario would then NEED in order to win:

I would like for Mario to be the guy too. He has the gravitas to pull it in the money and recruits to make it happen. I'm not trying to draw too many conclusions from the bowl game because it really isn't the same as a regular season game.

That said, It doesn't have to be an expensive hire. We have Ed O enjoying his retirement while spending plenty of time on campus. If he were asked, do you think he'd want top dollar?
Want to **** off the world? Wait until Saban retires and hire him, he's just up the road.

Advertisement
I'll play along.

1. Bring in elite talent via portal. No more depth chart/home sick Jags.

2. Stop being cheap with QB recruiting. Yes 5* QB transfer. Yes 5* QB bust. Most importantly 5* QB can overcome corching deficiencies. Mario saving Timeouts and fielding 9 players won't be as detrimental if we hit on QB.

3. Stop attempting to be the smartest in the room. We do not have better evaluators than everyone else.

4. Utilize young guys in meaningless games. CIS is trying to convince the world bowl games don't matter but I watched a bunch of upperclassmen miss tackles/blocks/assignments. Would much rather Bobby Washington get more penalties than Jacolby George.

5. Try instilling any form of discipline. Hold players accountable for **** ups instead of trotting the same **** out on the field.

6. Practice special teams.

7. Throw away entire offensive philosophy it's just offensive.

That should be enough to get us 8 wins. I don't want to waste my time expecting more.

Thoughts?
I don’t know because it’s baffling that the most rudimentary fan of football, including some of the biggest idiots that post on this board, all know the basics of clock management, and when a time out should be called and he’s been in the sport for over 40 years and still hasn’t figured it out. I like Mario I wanted him here. I know him a little very little bit. I think he’s done some amazing things recruiting wise. I don’t think we get the investment of the money without him and I don’t know that it stays without him.

It’s very perplexing what to do because I don’t know if we can succeed on the field with him, because he still hasn’t learned things he should have, and I don’t know that we can succeed without him, because the powers that be that made it happen, are not necessarily likely to support the program financially With whoever person you want to fill in the blanks with him if he’s not around

I'm all about sample size brother. My conclusions have absolutely NOTHING to do with what happened yesterday.

The name you just said is another MEAT HEAD and LSU basically employed the model with him that we are all asking be employed with Mario. They flanked him with two ELITE coordinators and Ed stayed the **** out of the way.

It's like asking a used car salesman to come on board to assist the other used car salesman in performing a life-or-death brain surgery.

Advertisement
Back