Bernadel to visit campus today, discusses recruitment

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2021 Hallandale LB Gaethan Bernadel has 6 early offers so far, including one from the Miami Hurricanes. As a South Florida native, Bernadel grew up watching the Canes and was thrilled to earn a scholarship to “The U” two weeks back.

“I was just super excited, it all felt like I was living in a dream because I watched them play growing up so that just meant a lot to me,” Bernadel said. “To my family as well, they were all screaming for me when I told them. It’s just that, growing up, I’ve always watched them play every Saturday and I always dreamed about getting offered by Miami and once it happened, it was like I was living in a dream.”

Now that he has the offer, Bernadel admits UM is squarely in the picture to eventually land his commitment. The Hallandale star even plans a visit to campus today to get more familiar with the program.

“My interest in Miami is extremely high,” Bernadel said. “My head coach spoke to coach Manny Diaz at the Rivals 3 Stripe Camp and he told me to come down there today after school.”

What will he be looking for on the trip to Coral Gables?

“I’ll be looking for how great the atmosphere around the school is - also the energy of the Miami coaching staff if they are in attendance,” Bernadel said. “I will also be asking myself, “Do I see myself going to Miami and do I see myself playing at Hard Rock Stadium in front of thousands on Saturdays’?”

This will not be a quick recruitment, however, with Bernadel saying he will likely make a decision just before his senior season. The 6’1” 210 pound prospect also feels that he needs to experience every school that is interested in his services before coming to a decision. Those programs currently include South Carolina, Kentucky, UVA, Pitt, and Minnesota, along with Miami, and he wants to give them all an equal chance to recruit him.

“As of right now, I want to visit every school that has offered me because every school has a different thing to offer,” Bernadel said. “I don’t have a top group right now. There are no schools that are really coming after me as hard right now because I am still an underclassman, so I can’t really be in contact with college coaches until August 1st when I officially become a junior. As of right now, I can say every school is showing about the same amount of energy.”

Now poised to be an upperclassman next season, Bernadel is ready to take on more of a leadership position on his team as a junior, but he says it’s something he’s comfortable with since he was already considered one of the top voices on last year’s team.

“My sophomore season went great. I felt like this season I grew up a lot because I ran the defenses as far as making the calls and being allowed to take control of the defense and make it my own if there was any need to as far as making audibles and changing the scheme,” Bernadel said. “So going into next year, I know what needs to be done and I feel like I can be the best linebacker in the country in 2021 after my junior season.”

Advertisement
Thanks for the share Stefan. Kid has some quick feet for a LB and got around blocks quickly while hitting the hole with intention. Glad we offered early, let’s see how he does when other offers naturally come his way after his Junior season. If he continues to improve, they most certainly will.

Has a nose for the ball, reads the play quickly and reacts like a MLB should. Would like to see him in pass coverage.

If enthusiasm has a rating........this dude is right up there.
Growing up watching the Canes, and having the family in his ear is awesome..
We are on the inside track.
Now all he has to do is show us the talent, and his ability to fit in with the team, and we are good.

Advertisement
I get a Don Chaney Jr vibe from this kid I hope he commits when he feel comfortable and become an ambassador for our class.

Advertisement
Back