Below, At or Above Talent Level

I dont think we've " led ourselves to believe" anything unreasonable.

Majority of us know we aren't at the level of the Bamas and Clemsons.

The Georgia Techs and Dukes we have absolutely recruited better than.

The only reason those games have been close is because of bad coaching,schematics, and personnel placement
I’m not even talking about Clemson nor Bama. I’m talking just about the coastal. I feel overall as a base we have overstated our overall talent and depth. Top from bottom. That along with coaching culture have been a issue. You have to stack classes and keep those kid in your program around long enough To develop them. Our attrition rate has to be among the highest also

Advertisement
I’m not even talking about Clemson nor Bama. I’m talking just about the coastal. I feel overall as a base we have overstated our overall talent and depth. Top from bottom. That along with coaching culture have been a issue. You have to stack classes and keep those kid in your program around long enough To develop them. Our attrition rate has to be among the highest also
Understood.

But lack of talent and lack of experience aren't the same thing.

We are still far more talented than any team in the coastal for the last 15 years.

So the talent level isn't exaggerated.

Now the attrition and/or experience perspective is a fair assessment.

First thing I said is that we haven’t had the top line talent but we are consistently in the top 10 of schools with the most draft picks. Not enough to be elite but plenty good to dominate the Coastal and win more than one bowl game in 15 years…
Thing is when u recruit OL and DL inconsistent those scrub teams can beat u especially with spread offenses

Who are our main rivals in the Coastal? I'd think everyone is aware that we're the most talented team in the division, our coaching just doesn't add up.
Over our Time the ACC, Ga tech, va tech early..most recently pitt, UVA, Duke have it runs..and those teams were mostly veteran led ball club’s

Advertisement
Understood.

We are still far more talented than any team in the coastal for the last 15 years.

Again, depending on young talent isn’t a way to build a winning program consistently. Our most recent good/decent teams have mostly been our most veteran ball clubs. Most recently 04, 05 17, 09, 20 those teams relied on a heavy contingent of vets. When your dependent on 1st and 2d years kids you run into issues

I hope this team understands we gotta stop looking past these teams. No matter who they are. Play to a **** standard

Advertisement
I think Miami fans overrate their talent advantages over the last 15 years. They haven't had good depth and they haven't had many good quarterbacks. That's a big part of talent.

When Virginia Tech was winning the coastal many years, they had good quarterbacks that played in the NFL. Tyrod Turner isn't Michael Vick, But it's better than anything Miami had for 20 years.

I think people over blown out talent that's the issue. I think we will play to our talent level imo. I think we always have besides the Doritos defensive scheme
I agree about our fans over hyping our talent. It’s been pretty good but not near the levels of the top programs. Definitely closer to #25 than #1.
I will say that we have handcuffed our offense for years with terrible schemes that made pretty talented units look average. Defensively, outside of the Dorito years, I’d say they’ve generally played up to the level of talent they’ve had. Usually pretty good, occasionally really good.

Understood.

If you just look at recruiting classes, it’s not even a discussion. I think where the teams that have recruited at a lesser rate make up the gap is by not having the roster holes that we ALWAYS seemed to have. Some of those holes are on recruiting failures and some are due to way too much attrition. We never seemed to have a “veteran” team. We were always plugging holes with guys who weren’t ready to play. We’ve had areas where the talent we recruited was far below the rest of the roster. How many offensive linemen have we trotted out that wouldn’t start for Virginia or Georgia Tech? We’ve had years where we had to roll out Stephen Morris and Malik Rosier at QB because we literally had nobody else on the roster. Both those guys had some good moments but there’s never a case where either of those guys should have been named the starter by default. I think there’s been times where our fans are like “we’ve got all these 4 star receivers and running backs, we should blow out these ACC teams”. Then we’d lose to them because they were better on the line, more experienced and made fewer boneheaded plays.

Advertisement
Another part, we as a fanbase don’t respect the fact that the talent and developmental gap between us and our main rivals in the coastal was not as big as we tend to think
This. When are we going to stop acting like we are sooo much more talented than everyone we play? It’s been proven time and time again that the teams in the coastal are evenly matched for the most part.

We’ve seen average and below average teams play above their talent level to pull of an upset. Mark did get Miami to play above expectations against Notre Dame in 2016, but that ND team was overrated af. Manny has yet to show he’s a HC good enough to get the best out of each player when the deck is stacked against him.

Talent without quality coaching leading them in the right direction is useless unless you're super talented like the Coker years. Coker was in hindsight, our best coach since that time.

That's why you see us lose to teams like Duke, FIU, etc. We may be more talented, but when the scheme sucks and players aren't put into a position to win, you get those results.

What will we be, who knows. I hope this is the year that the coaching staff can at least match the potential. Having said that, there's some real challenges on this team, OL, DL, and LB come to mind. They'll have to figure it out or we'll be struggling when we shouldn't.

Advertisement
I think Miami fans overrate their talent advantages over the last 15 years. They haven't had good depth and they haven't had many good quarterbacks. That's a big part of talent.

When Virginia Tech was winning the coastal many years, they had good quarterbacks that played in the NFL. Tyrod Turner isn't Michael Vick, But it's better than anything Miami had for 20 years.
Miami has out recruited and produced more NFL players than anyone in the coastal for the last 100 years (not literal). This is a fact. Not an opinion. We should be dominating the Coastal. Yet, we don’t.

This. When are we going to stop acting like we are sooo much more talented than everyone we play? It’s been proven time and time again that the teams in the coastal are evenly matched for the most part.

Conference play is typically tough in any conference unless you over match your opponent in talent combined with a grade A staff like Clemson.

Opposing coaches get to know their opponents tendencies. They're extremely familiar with opponents players talents, etc. That in itself is something that bends the level towards even. It literally is like a game of chess, you know your opponent, their tendencies, and then come up with a plan to defeat them.

A lot of the middle of the pack schools also aren't athletically super talented, but they get dependable players who know their assignments.

You run a sparq test and we'll do **** well. That doesn't mean crap though if our scheme sucks and we're not putting a product out there that maximizes that potential.

Talent is meaningless as I said above for those reasons. More talented, sure, on paper. That doesn't mean much though on building a great team.

We did, or do, have more talent. It’s just that it resides in the skill positions and not in the trenches. Now we are slowly starting to turn the corner there finally, we will see this team collectively play at their overall talent level simply because the OL and DL are playing with more mature players. Add in the most talented QB room we’ve had in what seems like a century and I think we’ll finally see the rewards of a well rounded team.

What good players we send to the league like perennial pro bowlers? Other teams get alot of guys drafted too just like us it's just lower level talent. Top ten teams have multiple first rounders year after year.
We haven't sent a single all pro to the NFL since calais campbell in '08, iirc (excluding jimmy graham, who we didn't recruit to play football at all).

Advertisement
Back