Beleaguered UM coaches Al Golden, Mark D’Onofrio get support

Advertisement
Players are simply following orders and any defense of their current coaches should be taken with a grain of salt. First one to speak out publicly against them will find himself on the bench or worse, so you can literally ignore anything positive they say about AG or Coach D. And the moment either of those guys are fired or resign, just wait for the endless deluge of comments that come off as "it's about time, we didn't have a chance under those guys."

First one to speak publicly will see their draft stock drop faster than bowling ball. You don't talk bad about your HC.

Exactly. They have to circle the wagons and be "team" guys or risk losing money in the draft. Playing for this loser is costing them enough dough, no need to compound it by speaking out.

Advertisement
### During his two regular Monday appearances with WQAM, Al Golden made clear today that there was nothing wrong or regrettable with the strategy or schemes UM used against Georgia Tech and again put the blame on player execution. That's very much in line with his message previous weeks.

Asked by Joe Rose why UM didn’t crowd the box more against run-heavy Tech, and not play its safeties closer to the line, Golden said: “I think the safeties were at 10 yards the whole game and we’re playing a nine-man front. If they’re any tighter than that, then they can’t get in the opposite alley on the option. We’ve played this thing for a decade. Going into this game I think we were 8-1 in our last nine against it.

“So, we’ve had success using this strategy, OK? And again, we forced them into a third-and-6, where they converted, a third-and-6 where they had a [pass interference]. Without that PI, they only score one time in the first half: a third-and-7 and a third-and-16 and they get us on a wheel route [Thurston Armbrister was in coverage].
"That should not happen. So I know they got more yards than we wanted, certainly, running the ball. But where they broke our back is we didn’t take the ball away and they got us on third down.”
When it was suggested UM could have gambled more defensively, Golden said: “We did gamble. We brought the SAM. We brought the WILL. We stunted constantly.”
He said some of the breakdowns were the result of “missing an assignment or somebody got beat.... In terms of our execution of the formula, we didn’t do what we need to do.

They executed what they wanted to do better than we did. I’m accountable for it. End of story.”
But when Golden says he’s accountable for it, it’s not clear what that means because he clearly doesn’t believe coaching decisions are causing the breakdowns.

In Golden's defense, he doesn't name individual players who made mistakes. (These are college kids after all.) He didn't identify Armbrister by name, though everyone could see he messed up on the 30-yard passing play on Tech's final scoring drive.

Golden said he will tell his players that there's no time to "complain" or dwell on Tech. “[This] was a totally different gameplan," he said of Tech's option offense. "It's something we only do once a year.”

### On Hurricane Hotline, Golden said he opted not to play newcomers Michael Wyche and Anthony Moten against Georgia Tech but praised Moten’s progress.
He said Chad Thomas, who played well, “walks the walk and talks the talk.”

### Golden said he wants to redshirt defensive linemen Earl Moore and Jelani Hamilton, as well as a handful of freshmen.

### Golden praised Joe Yearby but said he needs to develop a stiff-arm like Duke Johnson’s.

What a train wreck!

When your players can't execute your scheme in year 4, THATS ON YOU. Again these guys live inside their playbook/chalkboard and when their theoretically perfect defense doesn't work they blame the players. If you can't teach your players your scheme, you're a bad coach.

just going to sit back and enjoy 8 more weeks of 8. thats all i got

Advertisement
Golden said: “We did gamble. We brought the SAM. We brought the WILL. We stunted constantly.”

Who the **** runs stunts against a triple option AND puts the mlb 6 yds from the line?!? Insanity, even at a Peewee level

Golden said: “We did gamble. We brought the SAM. We brought the WILL. We stunted constantly.”

Who the **** runs stunts against a triple option AND puts the mlb 6 yds from the line?!? Insanity, even at a Peewee level

Advertisement
Anybody actually read the linked piece? I wouldn't call anything Duke said as support for Golden. He basically says everyone has their opinion, and all he (Duke) can do about it, is play football.

Denzel, on the other hand, blamed the players.

When all is said and done, as a coach, you're either coaching it, or you're allowing it to happen. Either way, it's on you.

P.S. The fact that players are being asked about the coaches is good enough for me. The media wouldn't be asking if they weren't looking for scalps. They know the players aren't going to **** on the corches, but the seeds are being planted with the questions.

Advertisement
I dont see Duke actually defending them. Besides, dont care what the players --- players wanted Coker AND Randy...... any questions?

As an aside, it's a little bit crazy to me that Duke is 12th in the country in rushing yards. I feel like he hasn't really exploded yet for a number of reasons (eg limited opportunities against GT). Hoping he has a strong finish to the season, has a few huge games and rips some long ones. I think he's a monster but he's not getting enough of a chance to strut.

"I’m accountable for it."

Really Gorlden? Then show some ******* accountability. Fire yourself.

Thread is misleading. Duke did not defend Golden, not did he blast former players speaking their mind. He took the high road and answered in a diplomatic way. Perryman didn't defend either, he just said players need to execute better but what else can he say? Golden is simply delusional. It's painfully obvious and I hate how he tries to stuff stats to validate his coaching. He's a straight weenie and I can't wait until he's gone.

Advertisement
Back