Being Realistic

Looked at Bama's current class. Mostly four stars, some three's, and only two fives. Not as good as Clemson or Georgia, but you know Saban will be up there just because of great coaching.

wait till feb. bama will turn it on in december or so and close hard

Advertisement
The canes were my 1st team growing up my parents are from haiti and werent into sports but once I found the canes it changed that for me. The last 15 years have hurt us all. I had hope for Shannon, for Golden and of course Richt. But realistically what separates Manny I'm praying he's the guy but what do you guys think will make the difference
Calle Ocho Swag.

I disagree with UM not ever getting the top guys...we did get the top guys but they were well hidden in the dark ages. When the internet came along not many hidden gems it became more few and teams knew who were good through camps and websites that covered it.
Guys like Sean T Reed Ray wont go missing in todays world

Butch didn’t get the top guys. He got the right guys and used his unique expertise to develop them into killers. He was an EXPERT at the pro and college level and was able to recognize traits he could develop in recruits that did not have the most stars.

People say Ed Reeds don’t fly under the radar, but I am not sure he would have turned into a hall of famer at a different program. That is to take nothing from his hard work and incredible skills, but people still underestimate the world of difference the right coach makes in helping guys reach their peak physically as well as having the confidence to make big plays.

Having the ace recruiter and right hand man of a Collegiate national champion AND three time Super Bowl champion was the perfect storm for creating those historic 2000s teams.

Gonna be hard to duplicate that. The more Miami wins, the easier it will be to sell. We have made way too many missteps and recruits don’t trust the program.

Our defensive coaches have shown they can get playmakimg out of the talent on the field. As long as they keep it up and the offense catches up, the perception around the program will change.

There is an “it” factor with ace recruiters and their talent shows immediately, in the first full signing class. It’s been a long time since we had that for whatever reason.

I think what Diaz has put together is the next best thing. The staff is young. Hopefully they grow as recruiters. One thing I am sure of is Manny will analyze the feedback and make changes to be a winner, whether he succeeds or not.

Its more rare and tougher now way tougher butch was a beast at it probably better then Saban at evals
Butch was the goat, no doubt, or co-goat with JJ, who trained him.

But I 100% disagree that evals are tougher today. Recruiting may be tougher but evals are evals. There are still only so many first round picks, only so many All Americans. And there are still 1000s of HS seniors seeking scholarships. The camps may help identify measurables, but which kids will develop, which kids have that dawg in them, those are things that rivals doesn’t begin to predict. Forget the top 100 kids. There are great future nfl plyers between 100-350 and we can sign many of them. But can we evaluate them?

Advertisement
Butch didn’t get the top guys. He got the right guys and used his unique expertise to develop them into killers. He was an EXPERT at the pro and college level and was able to recognize traits he could develop in recruits that did not have the most stars.

People say Ed Reeds don’t fly under the radar, but I am not sure he would have turned into a hall of famer at a different program. That is to take nothing from his hard work and incredible skills, but people still underestimate the world of difference the right coach makes in helping guys reach their peak physically as well as having the confidence to make big plays.

Having the ace recruiter and right hand man of a Collegiate national champion AND three time Super Bowl champion was the perfect storm for creating those historic 2000s teams.

Gonna be hard to duplicate that. The more Miami wins, the easier it will be to sell. We have made way too many missteps and recruits don’t trust the program.

Our defensive coaches have shown they can get playmakimg out of the talent on the field. As long as they keep it up and the offense catches up, the perception around the program will change.

There is an “it” factor with ace recruiters and their talent shows immediately, in the first full signing class. It’s been a long time since we had that for whatever reason.

I think what Diaz has put together is the next best thing. The staff is young. Hopefully they grow as recruiters. One thing I am sure of is Manny will analyze the feedback and make changes to be a winner, whether he succeeds or not.
Vomits.

We go 9-4 or 10-3 at best. The horses just aren't there. Team is thin despite Manny's terrific use of the transfer portal. Our players are good, not great, and we have little experience in a lot of positions. a few injuries and we will struggle. I hope that if this happens, our underclassmen just get plenty of experience to help them win big later.
I absolutely HATE the GD Gaturds with a passion you can't even imagine. It will be a tall order to beat them with the unfair advantages they always have (bags), but the season is a success if we can get enough lucky breaks to beat them. That was the sole success we had under that bum Golden, even if their team stunk. Hope I'm wrong and we end up in a good New Year's bowl game.

Last edited:
We got some underrated hidden gems, but we also got mainly guys who were good but not elite but worked hard, were well-coached, and became top players. A friend of mine who was very close to the program said the big difference in the '80's was work ethic. Our kids outworked everybody. They didn't come in as elite, hidden or otherwise.
I thought we took advantage of knowing the area and knowing who was who, HS kids were hiding and those SEC schools didnt have the film we had. The web has made the world smaller and these under the radar kids then are the elite kids now IMO. We used to have that advantage not anymore

Advertisement
Butch was the goat, no doubt, or co-goat with JJ, who trained him.

But I 100% disagree that evals are tougher today. Recruiting may be tougher but evals are evals. There are still only so many first round picks, only so many All Americans. And there are still 1000s of HS seniors seeking scholarships. The camps may help identify measurables, but which kids will develop, which kids have that dawg in them, those are things that rivals doesn’t begin to predict. Forget the top 100 kids. There are great future nfl plyers between 100-350 and we can sign many of them. But can we evaluate them?
I can vibe with u on this post fair enough, we have to have very good evals and not let those kids slip through the cracks. Is it possible yes but I hope MD can find the right guys or assistant that is a beast at it.

I can vibe with u on this post fair enough, we have to have very good evals and not let those kids slip through the cracks. Is it possible yes but I hope MD can find the right guys or assistant that is a beast at it.
I have been saying since Butch left that really good evals are the single most important thing a coach can bring to UM. Forget Butch level great. We need to be well above average consistently.

Many people think evals dont matter so much here because there are so many options locally. That logic is entirely upside down backwards wrong. The many options means differentiation is that much more important. And our one real strength is access to local talent. We have to maximize our strength to compete, and that means evaluate really well.

Also, keep in mind - Coker didn’t evalaute at all. He recruited off lists and failed. And Shannon was a mixed bag at evals. Gluten was not particularly good either. Richt, meh. Better than the prior guys but lazy and didn’t fill the roster, and empty roster spots are not more valuable than dorito cheeseburgers.

But as I’ve been saying, Manny needs a PLAN, not just tweets and swag and energy.

I have been saying since Butch left that really good evals are the single most important thing a coach can bring to UM. Forget Butch level great. We need to be well above average consistently.

Many people think evals dont matter so much here because there are so many options locally. That logic is entirely upside down backwards wrong. The many options means differentiation is that much more important. And our one real strength is access to local talent. We have to maximize our strength to compete, and that means evaluate really well.

Also, keep in mind - Coker didn’t evalaute at all. He recruited off lists and failed. And Shannon was a mixed bag at evals. Gluten was not particularly good either. Richt, meh. Better than the prior guys but lazy and didn’t fill the roster, and empty roster spots are not more valuable than dorito cheeseburgers.

But as I’ve been saying, Manny needs a PLAN, not just tweets and swag and energy.
Yea for me evals are hella important cause if your able to identify a 3 star who is going to be a 1st rounder lets say.........no one will offer the kid a bag at all because hes not highly regarded as a top guy. Evals and closing are the two most important things in recruiting IMO.

Also @Ethnicsands we dont trust anyones evals because of the 15 years of mediocrity......we will complain on takes still until MD can prove he knows whats best and that comes within 3 years of a sample size in regards to under rated guys. If he does prove to be elite at evals or in fact good then alot of us (me included) wouldnt complain about low rated kids because he has built up the trust within those evals.

Advertisement
Yea for me evals are hella important cause if your able to identify a 3 star who is going to be a 1st rounder lets say.........no one will offer the kid a bag at all because hes not highly regarded as a top guy. Evals and closing are the two most important things in recruiting IMO.
Yessir.

And focus on where the kid was when you took the commitment, more than where they end up. We can do fine with high 3* and low 4* local kids and we’ll win some battles. The high 4* and 5* local kids are going to be drama until we are back for real.

A real offense will sure help. Enos was a huge hire, IMO. If we start getting QBs who can be NFL players and who smash hot tail, we’ll have the buzz for skill position guys and then bruisers. But the Train Richt we have had the past few years wasn’t going to excite anyone.

Yessir.

And focus on where the kid was when you took the commitment, more than where they end up. We can do fine with high 3* and low 4* local kids and we’ll win some battles. The high 4* and 5* local kids are going to be drama until we are back for real.

A real offense will sure help. Enos was a huge hire, IMO. If we start getting QBs who can be NFL players and who smash hot tail, we’ll have the buzz for skill position guys and then bruisers. But the Train Richt we have had the past few years wasn’t going to excite anyone.
QB super important we hit there we in business and that Garcia kid looks like the real fuqin deal

Advertisement

Bingo.

We been complaining about s&c for a long time.

What if Ed Reed’s s&c coach was Gus Felder instead of Tommy Moffit?

There are many variables that determine a player’s final outcome.
Give me an effin break. Ed Reed is the goat safety and you’re yapping about gus felder? We had three dbs get drafted just this past month. Ed Reed is a special human being and your commentary here is absurd, imo.

Of course he is special.

Imo, it’s just as absurd to think being developed by a national champion and super bowl winner as well as a legendary s&c coach didn’t have a HUGE impact in him reaching his ultimate potential.

His innate ability, special determination, and incredible mind came together perfectly with an amazing system of development.

The result, is arguably the greatest safety in the history of the game.

The U is a unique creature. 2017 showed how quick we can catch fire and consume college football. Just having a QB get hot and a defense play Cane football and we almost did it. If one of these guys can be a glimmer in Kosar’s eye, we can roll. NE, OU and their conference were every bit the equal of Bama and SEC of today - cheating, bags, drugs and all. We got a coach and a QB to go with what had been a good defense many times over the years and we beat what was considered the team of the century in maybe the greatest game of the same. It can happen.

Advertisement
Back