Before the Season Began, This Was a 6-7 Win Team

Something has changed.

Today is increased evidence that, when push comes to shove, our coaches will go with the "standard operating procedure." The standard operating procedure approach gets you incremental progress. Next time we're in the exact or similar situation to what we saw today, we'll do better. However, if we're ever hoping to be dominant again and make a Championship run, we'll have to face uncertain or ambiguous situations and succeed. There has been some minor evidence of that this season. When it's added altogether, though, I see more of the former (basic, standard approach) than the latter (being able to improvise and adjust).

In short, we know more now than we did before the season and some of it is data that concerns me.

I don't entirely agree here.

Your analysis is spot on. I disagree, however, with your conclusion. You can get very far doing the basics very, very well. I'm not saying we'll get there, but Alabama doesn't roll the dice routinely. Stanford didn't roll the dice a ton under Harbaugh. TCU doesn't. They just whoop you, and there's nothing you can do to stop it. I think that's what this staff is aiming towards. Whether or not they get there is another matter.

Advertisement
I'm not thrilled about JF lately, either, but tell me this- which unit is ranked in the dregs of CFB? At least Fischbulb has had his moments here and there. He gets credit for some of the wins earlier this season and making Harris a pretty decent QB last year.

But the talent on both sides of the ball isn't equal.

are you understanding what you're typing? We lost to Virginia for the 3rd year in a row. In what universe is this acceptable at Miami? And the way we lost....**** poor playcalling and decision making.

It's not acceptable, not at all. But it is the reality of where we are as a program.

We hadn't beat VT in years. We did it last week. Baby steps.

These guys have a huge task ahead of them, the last thing they need is an irrational, reactionary fan base making matters more difficult.

I'm not asking anyone to not be upset or angry, just trying to provide a little perspective.

I'm not thrilled about JF lately, either, but tell me this- which unit is ranked in the dregs of CFB? At least Fischbulb has had his moments here and there. He gets credit for some of the wins earlier this season and making Harris a pretty decent QB last year.

Sure, but D'nofrio isnt working with 1/3 the talent Fisch is.

Advertisement
^So losing our three best defensive players had nothing to do with the defense taking a step back this week again?

Honestly? I don't give a flying **** about that at all. We're playing a dog**** 2-6 UVA team. This isn't Oregon or Kansas State, for ****'s sake.

It's Dorito's job to figure out a way to slow them down. It's why we ****ing pay him. And when we needed him to make something happen, he unbuckled his pants and dropped a huge steamer on everybody. Well that's cool and all, but I'm kinda tired of getting hot turds dropped on my head for 2 entire seasons. Enough is enough. Fire this ****ing guy.
Agree with everything you have said so far in this thread.

DCF has that killer insticnt. We need that from our DC.

I bit my tongue for the longest time, trying to find the glimmer of hope. I know how much it means to have staff continuity from year to year. That's what killed Shannon, in large part, because he had the acumen for hiring assistants that he showed for recruiting players and kept turning the staff over.

But this is an emergency situation, mang. I think we have a great young HC to build around in Bronzen, I like his passion, his respect for the tradition, his recruiting and attitude. All that **** works for me BIG-TIME. However, just like Butch realized he couldn't get it done with Miller, AB is going to have to make the call on his pal Dorito. He deserves a better DC and so do the players.

Probably not the thread for this, but I don't see how you can call for D'ono's head and not Fisch's.

I don't think either should be touched, but both have massive areas for improvement. Today's loss falls somewhere between the feet of Golden and Fisch.

Anyone who thinks we should fire Golden has ZERO basis in reality.

Who the **** is going to want to coach here if we fired him?

Not to mention, bye bye recruiting class for this year and next.

Everyone gets emotional after a loss. Golden and this team are battling against so much here. Stupid players like Eddie Johnson. No depth to overcome injuries to our best players. a conference and it's refs that desperately want us to lose. A rearded fanbase that still thinks it's 2002. Shapiro, Pee Wee and former players like Kyle ****** *** Wright who hate the program.

You think we don't have depth now, fire Golden and we will be worse off than Penn St for the next 5 years. One of y'all might as well take one of your kids into the locker room shower yourself and ext Pee Wee to meet you there.

Something has changed.

Today is increased evidence that, when push comes to shove, our coaches will go with the "standard operating procedure." The standard operating procedure approach gets you incremental progress. Next time we're in the exact or similar situation to what we saw today, we'll do better. However, if we're ever hoping to be dominant again and make a Championship run, we'll have to face uncertain or ambiguous situations and succeed. There has been some minor evidence of that this season. When it's added altogether, though, I see more of the former (basic, standard approach) than the latter (being able to improvise and adjust).

In short, we know more now than we did before the season and some of it is data that concerns me.

I don't entirely agree here.

Your analysis is spot on. I disagree, however, with your conclusion. You can get very far doing the basics very, very well. I'm not saying we'll get there, but Alabama doesn't roll the dice routinely. Stanford didn't roll the dice a ton under Harbaugh. TCU doesn't. They just whoop you, and there's nothing you can do to stop it. I think that's what this staff is aiming towards. Whether or not they get there is another matter.

You can get very far. You can even win a championship with some breaks and exceptional talent. Even without that, you can be a consistent top 5 team.

I agree this staff is working its way toward a Stanford-type consistency. I think that's unfortunate and does not maximize what we have access to as a program.

are you understanding what you're typing? We lost to Virginia for the 3rd year in a row. In what universe is this acceptable at Miami? And the way we lost....**** poor playcalling and decision making.

It's not acceptable, not at all. But it is the reality of where we are as a program.

These guys have a huge task ahead of them, the last thing they need is an irrational, reactionary fan base making matters more difficult.

I'm not asking anyone to not be upset or angry, just trying to provide a little perspective.

baby steps really?!? we beat VT and then follow that up by blowing it against UVA. we took 1 step forward and then took 5 back. sick of giving coaches a pass. we should not be losing to the worst team in the ACC and making him look like peyton manning out there.

Advertisement
But that's not the point.

We're 5-5 right now, with two close losses and three close wins.

Sure, we could be 7-3, but we could just as easily be 3-7.

Instead, we're 5-5, and likely to finish 6-6, which is right where we are as a program.

We'll beat USF next week, people will start talking about a 7-win season and some momentum, and then we'll lose to Duke.

6-6. Self-impose. Continue to build toward the future and a BCS bowl in 2014.

Shut the **** up and **** expectations just like dcf said, expectations are arguably the worst thing in sports, don't give a **** about expectations

But the talent on both sides of the ball isn't equal.

Not my ******* job to deal with.

Dorito's job should not be safe for being the worst ranked defense in the entire country. I'm sorry, but that's the bottom line. His job should absolutely be at risk. I can't even believe this is being debated. The body of work does not justify another year, regardless of talent. It's a disgrace.

We took a HUGE step back this year on defense and it coincided with the loss of several contributors. I think our problem is talent.

baby steps really?!? we beat VT and then follow that up by blowing it against UVA. we took 1 step forward and then took 5 back. sick of giving coaches a pass. we should not be losing to the worst team in the ACC and making him look like peyton manning out there.

5 steps back? We beat a 4-6 team and followed it up by losing to a 4-6 team.

But that's not the point.

We're 5-5 right now, with two close losses and three close wins.

Sure, we could be 7-3, but we could just as easily be 3-7.

Instead, we're 5-5, and likely to finish 6-6, which is right where we are as a program.

We'll beat USF next week, people will start talking about a 7-win season and some momentum, and then we'll lose to Duke.

6-6. Self-impose. Continue to build toward the future and a BCS bowl in 2014.

Can I get a shot of Tequilla with that shot of reality? Thanks, I feel better now.

Miami82, I do not think this post added anything to this football related thread. I ask that you please post drinking related posts in the WEZ.

I agree with the OP. I had us pegged at 6 wins.

Advertisement
How much talent does D'Onofrio need on defense to prevent Michael ******* Rocco from completing 18 consecutive passes?

How much talent does D'Onofrio need on defense to prevent Michael ****ing Rocco from completing 18 consecutive passes?
+1000000
Enough with the excuses... He did the same with better talent last year... UVA should not have had close to 500 yards on us... We're not asking for the the canes defense from 2001 but just be formidable which he isn't...

Advertisement

Agree with Umjer on this. We are seeing some progress, but have little consistency right now and that happens when you are young at every position.

How much talent does D'Onofrio need on defense to prevent Michael ******* Rocco from completing 18 consecutive passes?

Agree that the pass defense over the middle of the field was atrocious, but a lot of the gaffes on coverage were because the LB's didn't have proper depth and or didn't make a quick enough read to get into passing lanes. We really missed Perryman and Johnson today, as well as Deon at S.

^So losing our three best defensive players had nothing to do with the defense taking a step back this week again?

Honestly? I don't give a flying **** about that at all. We're playing a dog**** 2-6 UVA team. This isn't Oregon or Kansas State, for ****'s sake.

It's Dorito's job to figure out a way to slow them down. It's why we ****ing pay him. And when we needed him to make something happen, he unbuckled his pants and dropped a huge steamer on everybody. Well that's cool and all, but I'm kinda tired of getting hot turds dropped on my head for 2 entire seasons. Enough is enough. Fire this ****ing guy.
Agree with everything you have said so far in this thread.

DCF has that killer insticnt. We need that from our DC.

I bit my tongue for the longest time, trying to find the glimmer of hope. I know how much it means to have staff continuity from year to year. That's what killed Shannon, in large part, because he had the acumen for hiring assistants that he showed for recruiting players and kept turning the staff over.

But this is an emergency situation, mang. I think we have a great young HC to build around in Bronzen, I like his passion, his respect for the tradition, his recruiting and attitude. All that **** works for me BIG-TIME. However, just like Butch realized he couldn't get it done with Miller, AB is going to have to make the call on his pal Dorito. He deserves a better DC and so do the players.

This.

Advertisement
Back