Been pestering

If Tom Jurich's name had never been brought up, this group would be wetting themselves at the thought of Nunez. He had 14 years at LSU as an assistant, then another 4 years as an actual AD at NM St. Blake James had no AD experience, Nunez does, lots of it. Highsmith has no experience running a college athletics department, Nunez certainly does.
False. Im not impressed with an AD who has his football pick win 5 games over 2 years. Also every big sport at UMN is down. Guy seems like BJ 2.0, raises money and politics.

I’m not a Highsmith guy and think the idea of force him on AD is a terrible idea.

Advertisement
If Tom Jurich's name had never been brought up, this group would be wetting themselves at the thought of Nunez. He had 14 years at LSU as an assistant, then another 4 years as an actual AD at NM St. Blake James had no AD experience, Nunez does, lots of it. Highsmith has no experience running a college athletics department, Nunez certainly does.
I’m not as opposed to Nunez as I am to some of the other candidates (Zo and Gino). But there are plenty of mid major ADs that have better resumes - at least in the sense of consistently producing high performing teams in the big 3 of football, basketball, and baseball. I get there are other things that go into being a successful AD but the only thing we care about is football performance. And UNM hasn’t performed well.

I also think a big reason for this hire is cuz of his Miami ties which is totally ridiculous. No one gives a **** about Miami ties. Just hire the best candidate. And in my opinion this guy isn’t the best candidate.

With that said, he does have the experience which is a plus so I think it won’t difficult to be successful in the role. Especially if you have the funding needed. So Nunez with a fat budget still gives us a good chance to turn this around.

This is a poor take, respectfully. All nunez can do successfully is fundraise...sound familiar? Maybe someone we just fired?

Four years at a school like New Mexico, and the top two sports have gotten significantly worse. Sounds like a fantastic hire.

No one said Jurich was end-all-be-all. Those that think Zo should be the full autonomous AD are also wrong because he’s only concerned with one sport.

I can name dozens of ADs more qualified than those two, that I’m sure Miami can grab if it weren’t for certain BOT members whose panties get tied in a knot every time Miami wants to get serious about sports.
Honestly what do you guys think assoc. AD’s do? That’s a great resume. Too many on here focus on their hiring record. Blake screwed himself by not hiring a guy with more experience but most administrators resumes look similar to Nuñez

Advertisement
Most people don't even know what the AD is supposed to do outside of making a few hires. It's not like they hire people and then go kick their feet up at their desk for the next 5 years. I'm fairly sure Alabama's AD does more than write Saban a check.

With that said, I'm not sure that the people in charge at Miami know what an AD is supposed to do either.

I’m not as opposed to Nunez as I am to some of the other candidates (Zo and Gino). But there are plenty of mid major ADs that have better resumes - at least in the sense of consistently producing high performing teams in the big 3 of football, basketball, and baseball. I get there are other things that go into being a successful AD but the only thing we care about is football performance. And UNM hasn’t performed well.

I also think a big reason for this hire is cuz of his Miami ties which is totally ridiculous. No one gives a **** about Miami ties. Just hire the best candidate. And in my opinion this guy isn’t the best candidate.

With that said, he does have the experience which is a plus so I think it won’t difficult to be successful in the role. Especially if you have the funding needed. So Nunez with a fat budget still gives us a good chance to turn this around.
I keep hearing no one gives a **** about Miami ties as an AD though I think knowing the community is vital. Especially when the school and booster base is small but wants to get larger (Ruiz and the Columbus bros) you have to know what they want and how to best use their dollars.

What if first thing Nuñez does is fire Manny?
Then he's off to a good start

Someone has mentioned it somewhere else - look at Mike Bohn's resume before he went to Cincinnati and fired Tubberville and hired Fickell. He was at Colorado and hired 3 brutal coaches in his 8 years. The first 2 combined to go 20-54 and then he hired Mike Macintyre and left. He didn't hire or fire a football coach at SDSU but they were awful under his watch.

To outsiders he could look great if he comes in here and cleans house and makes a HC hire for football that should just fall in his lap - Mario or Lane. Basketball he'll have to earn some respect because aside from the older Pitino that won't happen - there's not a clear cut candidate staring you in your face.

But then again - he's probably not going to be over football so it's a waste of breathe until he fixes basketball and baseball. He's just here for the administrative tasks and fundraising/facility stuff and pushing the administration and boosters for money and commitment.

Advertisement
False. Im not impressed with an AD who has his football pick win 5 games over 2 years. Also every big sport at UMN is down. Guy seems like BJ 2.0, raises money and politics.

I’m not a Highsmith guy and think the idea of force him on AD is a terrible idea.
Blake James would've last 15 minutes at LSU in any capacity. Nunez had several different jobs over 14 years.

I see the point about his time at NM St, but what resources do they realistically have?

He's not my top choice by far, but he's light years better than Hernandez.

Honestly what do you guys think assoc. AD’s do? That’s a great resume. Too many on here focus on their hiring record. Blake screwed himself by not hiring a guy with more experience but most administrators resumes look similar to Nuñez
You do realize Nunez is the full time AD at New Mexico right? And that’s what his assumed role would be here as well, with someone else looking after football.

Exactly!

I'm going to bandwagon and go USC. **** it.

Not sure I can actually root for another team but I'm definitely going to try.
Both my kids went/go to UGA, my choice is easy, plus they're good. I'm apathetic to the Canes at this point, have been for the last several years. Of course, they could easily reel me back in by hiring Jurich and Kiffin.

Advertisement

He would need to fire both manny and Coach L this year for me to feel remotely ok with his decision making, if he’s hired. Some people would be scared to fire L because of his past success - a real AD with balls can see the basketball program is in complete disarray and won’t be fixed under him.

Let’s see what happens.

I understand the nuance of the argument. Most fans and even media do not. College football is an optics game. If we go to market with some AD from NM the same week that other schools are flexing their muscles, how do you think that will be perceived? Probably like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Add on top the leaks and the disorganization on our side compared to the absolute world class, buttoned up ops at LSU and USC and it fully crystallizes how big of a **** show we are.
The only optic that matters is who will be the HC at Miami next year. Getting a great HBC is 85% of the AD's job because when your football team is winning, the budget takes care of itself. If we have the HBC sorted, we are in great shape. And the only thing going on here, is every poster doing whatever they can to try to ensure that we get the worst candidate possible.

You're the guy here ripping Nunez for being at LSU when the Title IX scandal happened, while simultaneously begging for Jurich, who was literally fired for cause and sued UL and negotiated a settlement. You are undermining your own credibility because you don't know ****.

Furthermore, again, for the 120th time...

The only FACTUAL news we have is good news. Blake was fired. The Prez and a bunch of billionaires are committed, publicly, to throwing massive resources to bring us to glory. Massive, seismic changes are happening.

Everything else is crybaby posters eating every rumor hook, like and sinker like so many fish. Or should I say sheep?

You all don't love UM football. You love hating UM football. A miserable, self-loathing lot. Otherwise you'd be wiling to wait a couple of weeks to make sure your worst nightmares aren't true and that the boogeyman isn't coming for you before running off at the mouth.

If it's Mario, and that is the leading rumor... he has a game Friday. Maybe stop screaming and THINK for a minute. If it's Mario, and Manny's buyout really does drop this week, then everything is going perfectly to plan and smart decisions are being made. Do we know this to be true? Of course, not, but who's side are you f'ing on? UF's? ND's? FSU's? Because you are doing their fanbase's job for them. Please don't continue to poison the environment.

Advertisement
The only optic that matters is who will be the HC at Miami next year. Getting a great HBC is 85% of the AD's job because when your football team is winning, the budget takes care of itself. If we have the HBC sorted, we are in great shape. And the only thing going on here, is every poster doing whatever they can to try to ensure that we get the worst candidate possible.

You're the guy here ripping Nunez for being at LSU when the Title IX scandal happened, while simultaneously begging for Jurich, who was literally fired for cause and sued UL and negotiated a settlement. You are undermining your own credibility because you don't know ****.

Furthermore, again, for the 120th time...

The only FACTUAL news we have is good news. Blake was fired. The Prez and a bunch of billionaires are committed, publicly, to throwing massive resources to bring us to glory. Massive, seismic changes are happening.

Everything else is crybaby posters eating every rumor hook, like and sinker like so many fish. Or should I say sheep?

You all don't love UM football. You love hating UM football. A miserable, self-loathing lot. Otherwise you'd be wiling to wait a couple of weeks to make sure your worst nightmares aren't true and that the boogeyman isn't coming for you before running off at the mouth.

If it's Mario, and that is the leading rumor... he has a game Friday. Maybe stop screaming and THINK for a minute. If it's Mario, and Manny's buyout really does drop this week, then everything is going perfectly to plan and smart decisions are being made. Do we know this to be true? Of course, not, but who's side are you f'ing on? UF's? ND's? FSU's? Because you are doing their fanbase's job for them. Please don't continue to poison the environment.
Thank you!

Then he's off to a good start

Someone has mentioned it somewhere else - look at Mike Bohn's resume before he went to Cincinnati and fired Tubberville and hired Fickell. He was at Colorado and hired 3 brutal coaches in his 8 years. The first 2 combined to go 20-54 and then he hired Mike Macintyre and left. He didn't hire or fire a football coach at SDSU but they were awful under his watch.

To outsiders he could look great if he comes in here and cleans house and makes a HC hire for football that should just fall in his lap - Mario or Lane. Basketball he'll have to earn some respect because aside from the older Pitino that won't happen - there's not a clear cut candidate staring you in your face.

But then again - he's probably not going to be over football so it's a waste of breathe until he fixes basketball and baseball. He's just here for the administrative tasks and fundraising/facility stuff and pushing the administration and boosters for money and commitment.

And it’s not like Jurich had such a sterling record either. It’s just the constant regurgitation of his name in the cis echo chamber thats made him larger than life after a while. I don’t think most people even bothered to check who he hired.

EA737BE5-A2F1-4308-9FD9-8DC4A0DA364A.jpeg

Blake James would've last 15 minutes at LSU in any capacity. Nunez had several different jobs over 14 years.

I see the point about his time at NM St, but what resources do they realistically have?

He's not my top choice by far, but he's light years better than Hernandez.
He’s at NMST; a perennial doormat with little resources. Not defending the guy but many things need to be looked at in the proper context. I’d say it’s much more challenging managing an AD in a school like that then somewhere with an unlimited budget.

Advertisement
Back