Been pestering

Advertisement
I don't think u understand how we got to this situation we're in now lmfao AD is way more important than a coach bruh

Exactly...a competent, shrewd AD is critical for us... we have really screwed the pooch in terms of athletic success over the last 15 years.
.... the next few years are going to be tumultuous in terms of conference alignments and the waters are going to be rough..

.... This is where someone like Jurich who is going to be critical ... no offense to Alonso or Gino. This is not the time to hire inexperienced novices!!!

... but our administration as usual.....we are f'king around like grandma is coming to dinner!!!

***** this up, we will not see another championship in our lifetimes.

... and I am done with this institution that I call my alma mater!
It is run by f'ing, corrupt imbeciles who care about nothing but themselves...

Last edited:
If Tom Jurich's name had never been brought up, this group would be wetting themselves at the thought of Nunez. He had 14 years at LSU as an assistant, then another 4 years as an actual AD at NM St. Blake James had no AD experience, Nunez does, lots of it. Highsmith has no experience running a college athletics department, Nunez certainly does.

Advertisement
Who cares about the leader of the athletic program? That is one **** of a bad take.

You're taking what I said a little too literally, or maybe I didn't explain myself better.

What I mean is, of course the leader of the program is important, but ****ting all over this guy is very short-sighted because he, himself, is not what's going to dictate success. Who he hires is what's most important. And just because he's at New Mexico has absolutely zero bearing on whether or not he can hire qualified candidates. Yes, I, like you, want the best and most qualified candidate. But we just fired Blake, who had absolutely no AD experience. It was a disaster. This dude IS an athletic director. It's not like he's some green candidate with no experience in the job.

Also, I'll bet 99% of this board couldn't name 5 ADs across the country. It's a mainly anonymous job to the common fan. But they could sure as **** name 5 football coaches. That's what's important here. Scott Stricklin, who many think is a good AD, had 6 years as Mississippi State as his only AD experience prior to Florida. I'm just saying that a lot of these guys work at smaller schools before they get bigger jobs. I would love Tom Jurich, as most of you would, but I don't think it's reason to throw ourselves on the floor and kick and scream if someone like Nunez got the job.

To me, what's important is what Nunez, or anyone else does, once they do get the job.

If he comes in and says he wants to give Manny Diaz another year, and extends Larranaga, and tells everyone how great DiMare is, then he's an abject failure before he even starts. But there's no guarantee any of that happens. If he comes in and immediately fires Manny and gets Mario Cristobal to come here, then he's done more in a day than Blake did in a decade. So again, who does the AD bring? His leadership is important, certainly. But ultimately he'll be judged by his actions once he's here, and I don't think that hiring someone like Nunez would be a death knell to the program. Just my $0.02.

If Tom Jurich's name had never been brought up, this group would be wetting themselves at the thought of Nunez. He had 14 years at LSU as an assistant, then another 4 years as an actual AD at NM St. Blake James had no AD experience, Nunez does, lots of it. Highsmith has no experience running a college athletics department, Nunez certainly does.

BIN-*******-GO.

Read the post I just made directly under yours. This board really is funny. Tom Jurich was known to MAYBE 1% of this board a month ago. Now if we don't hire him and we hire another guy who has actual AD experience, we suck and will forever. Absolute comedy.

BIN-*******-GO.

Read the post I just made directly under yours. This board really is funny. Tom Jurich was known to MAYBE 1% of this board a month ago. Now if we don't hire him and we hire another guy who has actual AD experience, we suck and will forever. Absolute comedy.
Everybody freaked out about Hernandez, then have the same level of freak out about Nunez, who has twice the resume as Hernandez.

I just don't understand the panic over Nunez. Hernandez, probably, but Nunez?

This isn't like the Mario/Lane debate where each have strengths and weaknesses.

No disrespect to OP but your track record as an insider leaves a little bit to be desired.

Remember your Charlie Strong-Clint Hurtt as next combo here not long ago?

8BF34D7E-3131-4649-8BDC-3668AD8F8868.jpeg

47EABE54-886C-43E6-8AC7-6CF7679CBB74.jpeg

Advertisement
[QUOTE="Jedi Master Cane, post: 5549537, member: 458"

Burn the program to the ground.
[/QUOTE]

Already did.

Prepare to be underwhelmed...
Honestly… would most know the difference between a good and a bad hire of an administrator? Like you guys keep sh!!ting on the New Mexico guy. That’s a college sports wasteland! However he spent 14 years in the sec west! Same thing with Hernández he will never be a stand alone AD probably paired with zo. I’ll bet you zo can get more booster money out of respect for his nfl experience than Blake ever could! His assoc AD just needs to manage other sports and admin issues. The basketball program is why zo gives me pause he needs to find the right guy in a huge revenue sport.

I believe Manny is gone, but this is gross incompetence from the school. How do you let a coach that could be dismissed in a few days make any offer like this?

Very telling about the direction the administration wants to go. Hope I’m wrong.

Advertisement
This is a poor take, respectfully. All nunez can do successfully is fundraise...sound familiar? Maybe someone we just fired?

Four years at a school like New Mexico, and the top two sports have gotten significantly worse. Sounds like a fantastic hire.

No one said Jurich was end-all-be-all. Those that think Zo should be the full autonomous AD are also wrong because he’s only concerned with one sport.

I can name dozens of ADs more qualified than those two, that I’m sure Miami can grab if it weren’t for certain BOT members whose panties get tied in a knot every time Miami wants to get serious about sports.

Can’t wait until we announce Alonzo or the dude from New Mexico within the same 48 hours as Riley to USC and Kelly to LSU. Then we are going to do what we do best: Tweet that we are back and committed to winning. Lol. We got schools offering $100 million contracts and we are hiring a lead scout to run an athletic department. We are a 3rd rate program 😂😂

You're comparing the announcement of an administrator with the announcements of 8-figure-a-year college football coaching celebrities? Most people here couldn't even name three AD's. You're just chomping at the bit to get at it, huh?

I think many on this board are more addicting to misery and complaining then they are interested in the welfare of the U and UM football.

Advertisement
Jurich should have slipped an ñ into his name on his resume
LOL! That’s what they did for coach L.

Should’ve changed his first name to Tomas or Francisco and put on a mustache.
1638279047635.jpeg

Last edited:
This is dumb. All nunez can do successfully is fundraise...sound familiar? Maybe someone we just fired?

Four years at a school like New Mexico and the top two sports have gotten significantly worse. Sounds like a fantastic hire.

No one said Jurich was end-all-be-all. Those that think Zo should be the full autonomous AD are also wrong because he’s only concerned with one sport.

I can name dozens of ADs more qualified than those two, that I’m sure Miami can grab if it weren’t for certain BOT members whose panties get tied in a knot every time Miami wants to get serious about sports.
So you'd prefer Hernandez?

So you'd prefer Hernandez?
No certainly not, but if these are the two choices (I really hope not), then the Administration straight up lied about taking athletics seriously. You can’t say that and then have these two names floating around; at the end of the day, I hope that’s all it is - just names floating around. If Nunez comes in as an assistant AD, sure that’s great, let him learn under someone more qualified and has a better track record of success.

At this point I’m just done complaining until something concrete happens because it’s just not worth it.

You're comparing the announcement of an administrator with the announcements of 8-figure-a-year college football coaching celebrities? Most people here couldn't even name three AD's. You're just chomping at the bit to get at it, huh?

I think many on this board are more addicting to misery and complaining then they are interested in the welfare of the U and UM football.
I understand the nuance of the argument. Most fans and even media do not. College football is an optics game. If we go to market with some AD from NM the same week that other schools are flexing their muscles, how do you think that will be perceived? Probably like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Add on top the leaks and the disorganization on our side compared to the absolute world class, buttoned up ops at LSU and USC and it fully crystallizes how big of a **** show we are.

Advertisement
Back