Beckham Stadium

CaneInTheBrain

Thunderdome
Wait so they go from oceanfront property, to now they're announced they building in overtown

Lol we need to move this team to the overtown dammit

Advertisement
He ended up buying private land and doing an end around the local political con artists and getting an addl parcel from the school board. His group literally is willing to pay property taxes instead of dealing with the local government.

He ended up buying private land and doing an end around the local political con artists and getting an addl parcel from the school board. His group literally is willing to pay property taxes instead of dealing with the local government.

Is there any source to all this news? I'm curious

Advertisement

Sorry. Didn't mean to down vote. Was pasting the link.

Beckham announces Overtown site for soccer stadium | Miami Herald

Thanks. Don't see any mention of UM, think we can get involved somehow?

A stadium in Overtown would be awesome!

"Oh hi Seminole fan. What's that? You're looking for the stadium? Go down 2 blocks and make a left, then a right, you can park right next to the liquor store for free."

Advertisement

Sorry. Didn't mean to down vote. Was pasting the link.

Beckham announces Overtown site for soccer stadium | Miami Herald

Thanks. Don't see any mention of UM, think we can get involved somehow?

No problem. Seems to be wayyyy too limited an amount of space even if we were open to moving to West Overtown.

Cheaper than the payoffs.

A stadium in Overtown would be awesome!

"Oh hi Seminole fan. What's that? You're looking for the stadium? Go down 2 blocks and make a left, then a right, you can park right next to the liquor store for free."

I know that place. Dude on the corner will watch your car for a 20. Night games extra.

Advertisement
Orlando just built a soccer stadium for next season in one of the worst parts in Orlando and businesses are already opening in the area. The old idea of people being afraid of troubled parts of town is really outdated, people aren't that racist anymore. Money is universal so anytime there's a chance of influx to area people will respect it. Trouble, the kind most people associate with bad neighborhoods doesn't happen around games. It occurs on desolate nights.

Advertisement
" there will be some parking underneath the stadium, Gimenez said the team plans to rely on a tradition of soccer fans walking to games."

This is my biggest concern after reading the article. I am a huge supporter of Miami getting a soccer team and I think Beckham would be a great owner, I also think there is a good chance it could have a positive economic impact on the area around it, if Beckham behaves the right way.

Traditionally, in Miami, people drive. It is a spread out city and I am afraid he is eliminating a lot of people who would go to his games but would not want to walk or use Miami public transit, which is ok at best.

With that said, best of luck to them, I hope UM can join in if it is a success.

Orlando just built a soccer stadium for next season in one of the worst parts in Orlando and businesses are already opening in the area. The old idea of people being afraid of troubled parts of town is really outdated, people aren't that racist anymore. Money is universal so anytime there's a chance of influx to area people will respect it. Trouble, the kind most people associate with bad neighborhoods doesn't happen around games. It occurs on desolate nights.

No one is building stadiums in bad areas like Overtown to be philanthropic. The land is dirt cheap by comparison. Period.

No one is building stadiums in bad areas like Overtown to be philanthropic. The land is dirt cheap by comparison. Period.

Yep, and its easier to buy up lots around you.

Advertisement
Back