Beckham Stadium deal may be falling apart Tropical Park now

dmcanes

Recruit
Several news outlets reporting Beckham deal at old OB site could be falling apart.
With the new excitement around the coaching search, And Frenk seemingly to be behind football, this could be a perfect moment to rethink tropical Park with Beckham and a 45-50k stadium. Beckham would be cool with a bigger stadium if UM comes up with the extra money. I know people don't stress too much because the sun life quality is high, but a new HOME stadium could really recapture Cane identity. And a bad boy beckham state of the art stadium, with him floating the lion share of cost is a once in a lifetime opportunity to fund the thing. Picture Tatted up beckham in his private box with the biggest names in entrainment and UM football history, getting ret-tweeted around the world. Dude is internationally on e of the most famous people on the planet, its Free Advertising for the University of Miami. The renderings for the port site were amazing. A new Amazing stadium near campus with a new coach could attract the biggest names in recruiting staff etc. and set us up for a decade long run.

If I were Frenk I'd Capitalize on the moment and and the opportunity.
David Beckham Miami MLS stadium deal in danger - Leiweke - ESPN FC

@mv305mia

Last edited:
Advertisement
10-20 minutes from the school , and it's next to the palmetto .. also close to kendall , the biggest soccer neighborhood in miami .
If beckham would ok 42,000 the university of miami would be ridiculous to say no to that .

I think UM could stay at sun life for 2-4 years while they plan and build it, meaning you have a few less years remaining on a buy-out. It could be done if the right price is found and the right pressure is put on, Ross is rich UM is a powerful organization.

I'll say this, if Beckham even sniffs Tropical Park, Miami better jump on it. They can't afford to miss out on this opportunity.

Advertisement
Read that Ross was willing to buy down the buyout if we kept marquee games at SLS. We would have to jump on that if possible. 42-45 seat stadium that close to home?? In the words of Chris Carter "C'mon Man!"

I dont understand why we need Beckham to build at Tropical Park. If that location is actually viable then we should have been on that yesterday. This just proves that our administration and leadership is not willing to pay or simply doesn't have the money (I believe it to be the former).

A joint soccer/football stadium probably would have weird dimensions like sunlife which takes away from the fan experience. we need a football only facility....forget Beckham, claim Tropical Park for UM football only and stop piggybacking off of people that actually have visions and ambition.

You can't fit FSU or Notre Dame at 42k seat stadium anyway. You need SLS for that. So the foundation of an agreement is there. Would the Beckham group be willing to accept Ross as a minority partner? That's how the deal could get done.

Unfortunately, it won't fall through due to two words- eminent domain. It is funny though how 6 property holders are supposedly throwing a wrench in the plans. I wonder where their mystery backup site is? I'll keep saying it- We NEED to get Adidas involved in this.

Advertisement
How much would it cost UM to get out of whatchamacallit park?

Nobody knows because nobody read the lease. That is a minor point to the bigger issue, we need a stadium that can adequately meet our needs. No life is garbage and pathetic.

You've gotta think the stadium might be actually losing money on a lot of these smaller games...I imagine they take an upfront cut of ticket sales and agree to pay Miami a cut of concessions. I would t think 20k fans would go a long way towards covering the overhead of security, utilities, etc....

The thing about the buyout is that it is a contractual obligation so it can be modified at any time by mutual consent. If no one is making money on the arrangement there is no reason to keep it going. They may simply say: our expected earning from the deal based on current attendance is only $1m so pay us $1.5m and you are free to go.

Stop worrying about this bullchit buyout; it is small potatoes compared to the real issue. It would be nice if our school actually pretended to give a chit about this matter. Perhaps they had a plan to get out of No Life.

This. Buyout is an excuse! That said, the Beckham stadium will probably resolve itself next to Marlins Park..

Stop worrying about this bullchit buyout; it is small potatoes compared to the real issue. It would be nice if our school actually pretended to give a chit about this matter. Perhaps they had a plan to get out of No Life.

Advertisement
Read that Ross was willing to buy down the buyout if we kept marquee games at SLS. We would have to jump on that if possible. 42-45 seat stadium that close to home?? In the words of Chris Carter "C'mon Man!"

Downvoted for quoting $uckeye Chris Carter

Last edited:
Good.. The idea that MLS will work in Miami is a joke. We'd be wasting tax payers money and land for a team that no one would watch.

UM should strike a deal with Ross by agreeing to play FSU at sun life. Or some other game per year.

Advertisement
I dont understand why we need Beckham to build at Tropical Park. If that location is actually viable then we should have been on that yesterday. This just proves that our administration and leadership is not willing to pay or simply doesn't have the money (I believe it to be the former).

A joint soccer/football stadium probably would have weird dimensions like sunlife which takes away from the fan experience. we need a football only facility....forget Beckham, claim Tropical Park for UM football only and stop piggybacking off of people that actually have visions and ambition.

This. ***** them and their futbol stadium. If Tropical Park is viable we go on the offensive and take it from them. We don't need to have a fancy stadium, the school could afford it. But I'm not sure Miami-Dade would even be willing to let that happen with us, them or a joint venture.

I can't figure out why Beckham hasn't pulled up stakes and scrubbed the whole Miami MLS plan. Any stadium site other than by the water won't work, except possibly West Broward. He needs to just bounce and forget it.

Doesn't look promising for Beckham. He's close to leaving Miami. The UM Admin would be smart to jump in now and put together an offer that works.

Advertisement
Back