BC vs. 'CANES

Fairly young team lacking depth and full of inconsistency. Too bad Manu left...we'd have been light years better.

Advertisement
Last night was brutal. If we played any team that was somewhat decent, we lose that game. There has been no improvement on offense from the start of the year to now which is unacceptable. We don't execute basic fundamentals on offense like pass the ball and cut. We also never pass multiple times without dribbling. I would love to see a stat of how much dribbling we do on offense, it's ridiculous. We also settle for 3's when we aren't good a shooting threes. We have superior athleticism though. I've never seen a team without a true big block so many shots. It's a shame we have no depth because if we trapped and or pressed, we would do well and it would create offense for us. The only time we did it this year we came back on Wake Forest from 20 down. This team needs a year but we need to start doing the simple things on offense and at least try and make it easier to score. We have the raw talent to steal some games against better teams but only if we start playing smarter and together.

Last night was brutal. If we played any team that was somewhat decent, we lose that game. There has been no improvement on offense from the start of the year to now which is unacceptable. We don't execute basic fundamentals on offense like pass the ball and cut. We also never pass multiple times without dribbling. I would love to see a stat of how much dribbling we do on offense, it's ridiculous. We also settle for 3's when we aren't good a shooting threes. We have superior athleticism though. I've never seen a team without a true big block so many shots. It's a shame we have no depth because if we trapped and or pressed, we would do well and it would create offense for us. The only time we did it this year we came back on Wake Forest from 20 down. This team needs a year but we need to start doing the simple things on offense and at least try and make it easier to score. We have the raw talent to steal some games against better teams but only if we start playing smarter and together.

Very good summary. The offense has no identity, as I've emphasized a couple of times recently. The fundamentals are awful when you compare to teams we've already faced like Notre Dame, and some of the teams we are soon to face. Notre Dame had wonderful weaves and ball movement and variety. Plus obviously they had a ton of options, so many guys with similar talent level.

The point about never executing multiple passes without a marathon dribbling session is excellent. I wish I had pointed that out. Our half court strategy in general is brutal.

D.J. continues to make me laugh. You can see how desperate he is to pull the trigger on a deep three. Since he's in the game sporadically there's almost an egg timer on when he'll force something. Since he knows it will be 10 actual minutes before he enters the game again he knows darn well he needs to chuck it up there once or twice before being pulled. The situation doesn't really matter. If the defender forces him 2 feet further out he'll still force it.

Those must have been some wide soft rims in Australia for him to have a reputation as a sharpshooter. Actually I think he'll improve his accuracy as his career progresses. Right now he's a liability.

Yes, if we pressed it would change our offense and help conceal some of our weaknesses. Larranaga's style in general benefits from a press. The half court offense simply isn't sophisticated when you compare to premier programs and coaching staffs. The number of half court stagnant possessions would be cut in half if we were a press team. Of course, then you'll be exposed in some games. Lots of big wins and big defeats from pressing teams.

Getting the ball in bounds continues to be an issue. Late in the Boston College game we failed to come back to the passer in the final seconds when we lacked a time out. You could see it unfolding that way. Frozen feet. It's glaring that we simply don't spend much time on that aspect of the game, because the same faults show up year after year. That's why we resort to chucking the ball deep into the backcourt. It's essentially a concession that we don't know what we're doing.

Overall I didn't mind the win over Boston College. It was unbelievable we were favored by 16. That was a weak team by ACC standards but they were scrappy and had a couple of scorers in number 1 and number 11.

Last edited:
DJ was shooting 43.1% from 3s before the last 5 games. He's 5-26 in his last 5 games as Hardwood pointed out. He's now shooting 36.3% from 3. That's not great, it's not horrible. He was having a very good shooting season before the slump. He's a true freshman adjusting to the American game and he's going through a rough patch. If he was on last year's team, or the 2012-13 team, he'd be fine. We need too much from him now.

Advertisement
Back