Bats

Advertisement
No where near as good - Del hardly ever strikes out. There are times when the sac bunt makes sense, but not when you take the bat out of the hands of one of the best hitters in the country.

Especially when we're sac bunting in the 3rd inning.

No where near as good - Del hardly ever strikes out. There are times when the sac bunt makes sense, but not when you take the bat out of the hands of one of the best hitters in the country.
Since they've been on the team together, Toral has a better OPS.

I mean, we get a leadoff single, then the guy walks somebody. Now that we've got him on the ropes......here's a free out AND you don't have to pitch to one of the best hitters in the country.

Advertisement
I mean, we get a leadoff single, then the guy walks somebody. Now that we've got him on the ropes......here's a free out AND you don't have to pitch to one of the best hitters in the country.
Don't know if you saw him but the guy after him is going to be pretty awesome.

And the guy behind him?

Since they've been on the team together, Toral has a better OPS.

Don't know if you saw him but the guy after him is going to be pretty awesome.

And the guy behind him?

I agree, there's some juice behind Castillo. It's more about giving up the free out in the 3rd inning. Those guys will still come up to bat even if we don't bunt.

Advertisement
It's time that we evolve from the 1970's philosophy that the 2-hole hitter is a punch and judy sac bunt guy. If you don't trust Vilar to get on base or to make solid contact to advance the runners, move DC, Morales, and Toral to 2-3-4.

It's time that we evolve from the 1970's philosophy that the 2-hole hitter is a punch and judy sac bunt guy. If you don't trust Vilar to get on base or to make solid contact to advance the runners, move DC, Morales, and Toral to 2-3-4.
I would agree that the Lala/Vilar combo at 1/2 isn’t good enough. Lala is a 9 hole and Vilar is 6/7/8. We need more juice in front of a really good 3/4/5.

I would agree that the Lala/Vilar combo at 1/2 isn’t good enough. Lala is a 9 hole and Vilar is 6/7/8. We need more juice in front of a really good 3/4/5.
I wouldn't mind seeing changes like that either. A lot of MLB is realizing you have to get your best hitters more ABs in key situations. With Del in the 2 hole, he would have represented the tying run last night in the 9th.

Advertisement
I wouldn't mind seeing changes like that either. A lot of MLB is realizing you have to get your best hitters more ABs in key situations. With Del in the 2 hole, he would have represented the tying run last night in the 9th.
Bumping those guys to 2/3/4 makes sense. Find a 1. I think it might be Chad Born...

Advertisement
Do you have his splits freshman year vs 2020's smaller sample size - felt like his OBP slipped last year, no?
In 16 games last year, Lala and Vilar each struck out 13 times. That’s way too much for 1/2 singles hitters. Lala hit .232 in 16 starts. They aren’t bad players but that can’t be the 1/2 combo on a good team.

Advertisement
Back