Bat Signal UP!!! Purdue DT Branson Deen Transfers to Miami

View as article
The reality is that 6-1, 280 pound (or smaller) DTs generally aren’t super productive in college. And yes while everyone loves referencing the Aaron Donald exception, they are ignoring the reality that most productive DTs are much larger than Gore and Deen. I freely admit haven’t watched a lot of film on either so I’m happy to be proven wrong
He’s not 6’1” bro get a grip… he’s 6’2”!

Advertisement
The reality is that 6-1, 280 pound (or smaller) DTs generally aren’t super productive in college. And yes while everyone loves referencing the Aaron Donald exception, they are ignoring the reality that most productive DTs are much larger than Gore and Deen. I freely admit haven’t watched a lot of film on either so I’m happy to be proven wrong
But..he’s been producing at the p5 level..

Re: Cooper - did the staff want him as DL because they loved his potential there, or because at the point of his signing they were shorthanded at DT? With the OL not hurting at all for numbers, convincing him to move could be the play.

-btw, we're at 84 right now, and seems Mario's reluctant to over-sign so wouldn't expect a whole lot more movement until more departures.

Solid player but not really what we need. We’ve got so many undersized DTs, you’d think Manny was still here
What DTs were undersized when manny was here tho? Meaning guys who played.
nesta? Pat bethel? That’s about it right? We definitely haven’t had monsters. I think the undersized element in the front 7 was definitely felt at the 2nd level tho

Advertisement
Advertisement
Then the dude would **** near pass out when trying to run off the field during substitutions lol
U know recruiting is bad for a programs when u see that. That's worse than our trex arm players we were recruiting with past regimes

Look more like a 3T than a 1T like jackson was, need a couple of those

Jackson played 414 snaps, 205 run snaps, 208 pass rush snaps. Jackson was a 3/4 T on 81% of his snaps last year. He was a 1 T on 18% of his snaps last year.
  • 16 pressures for 7.7%
  • 18 run stops for 8.8%
Deen played 492 snaps, 205 run snaps, 287 pass rush snaps. Deen was a 3/4 T on 75% of his snaps last year. He was a 1T on just 3% and was a 5T on 21% of his snaps.
  • 34 pressures for 11.8%
  • 16 run stops for 7.8%
The biggest difference between them is that Deen would kick out to 5T more often, while Jackson would kick inside more often. Jackson has more upside than Deen based on frame and age, but at the moment, it's pretty clear Deen is the better player. If you're into PFF grades, he also graded out higher than Jackson and was the second highest graded Purdue defender.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I liked DJ a lot but he didn’t play like his size most times. It got worse as the year unfolded. I thought he was a space eater but eventually it was obvious he was a huge 3 tech playing 1tech. He wanted to get up field, not eat space or doubles.
Exactly! Watch Coach Hayes game analysis this past season and DJ seldom played his role.

Advertisement
Back