Bat Signal UP!!! Purdue DT Branson Deen Transfers to Miami

Jackson played 414 snaps, 205 run snaps, 208 pass rush snaps. Jackson was a 3/4 T on 81% of his snaps last year. He was a 1 T on 18% of his snaps last year.
  • 16 pressures for 7.7%
  • 18 run stops for 8.8%
Deen played 492 snaps, 205 run snaps, 287 pass rush snaps. Deen was a 3/4 T on 75% of his snaps last year. He was a 1T on just 3% and was a 5T on 21% of his snaps.
  • 34 pressures for 11.8%
  • 16 run stops for 7.8%
The biggest difference between them is that Deen would kick out to 5T more often, while Jackson would kick inside more often. Jackson has more upside than Deen based on frame and age, but at the moment, it's pretty clear Deen is the better player. If you're into PFF grades, he also graded out higher than Jackson and was the second highest graded Purdue defender.
The problem is we’re comparing two different positions. I would expect a three technique to get more pressures. He’s not playing one or zero and is not the guy getting doubled on every snap. Deen is an effective 3T. We still don’t have a 1T or NT who’s played a college snap and that’s what concerns me.

Advertisement
Jackson played 414 snaps, 205 run snaps, 208 pass rush snaps. Jackson was a 3/4 T on 81% of his snaps last year. He was a 1 T on 18% of his snaps last year.
  • 16 pressures for 7.7%
  • 18 run stops for 8.8%
Deen played 492 snaps, 205 run snaps, 287 pass rush snaps. Deen was a 3/4 T on 75% of his snaps last year. He was a 1T on just 3% and was a 5T on 21% of his snaps.
  • 34 pressures for 11.8%
  • 16 run stops for 7.8%
The biggest difference between them is that Deen would kick out to 5T more often, while Jackson would kick inside more often. Jackson has more upside than Deen based on frame and age, but at the moment, it's pretty clear Deen is the better player. If you're into PFF grades, he also graded out higher than Jackson and was the second highest graded Purdue defender.
Potential gets you fired as every coach knows. He was a mediocre player at best here. Hopefully the light comes on and becomes a first round pick (Losing every game to UM of course because Fluck FSU). However, based off of what he gave us he is replaceable. Both Gore and Deen are better players currently.

Advertisement
  • 16 pressures for 7.7%
  • 18 run stops for 8.8%
  • 34 pressures for 11.8%
  • 16 run stops for 7.8%
Lance it makes me so happy when you post. thank you for shedding light on this topic

The reality is that 6-1, 280 pound (or smaller) DTs generally aren’t super productive in college. And yes while everyone loves referencing the Aaron Donald exception, they are ignoring the reality that most productive DTs are much larger than Gore and Deen. I freely admit haven’t watched a lot of film on either so I’m happy to be proven wrong
Dawg ur 100% right idk wtf everyone else is talking about. Being skeptical about a 270 n 280 pound DT is more logical than believing we have the next John Randle and Aaron Donald on our roster.

Advertisement
You 2 are acting like people are celebrating kids who haven’t produced college film. Both have already shown they can be productive at their size. Gore in a lesser league for sure but he produced. Deen produced going against better OLs than he’ll see at Miami.

The good thing is he is a 1 and done grad transfer after spending 5 years at Purdue. If D. Jackson came back and UK transfer Justin Rogers didn't have transcript issues, Deen is still looking for a landing spot.

Just for size reference Sydnor is a 6'4" D-end for Purdue, look how much smaller Deen is than Sydnor

Coach Salave'a needs to deliver big time for the 2024 class, we are going need a lot of size infusion.

Go Canes

coach salavea isnt known as a recruiter. Mario will have to take slack

one thing i like this kid is active and uses his hands relaly well...maybe that can run off on LT56.

Still need to add a 1 tech...Preferably maybe the kid from ARKANSAS,

I would lean to Nichols who is a veteran and has experience at the spot...but i aint opposed to taking both of Tarber and NICHOLS or another guy who may appear.

Advertisement
one thing i like this kid is active and uses his hands relaly well...maybe that can run off on LT56.

Still need to add a 1 tech...Preferably maybe the kid from ARKANSAS,

I would lean to Nichols who is a veteran and has experience at the spot...but i aint opposed to taking both of Tarber and NICHOLS or another guy who may appear.

I hope tarber is a legit option. I know macho said they want to get him on campus.

There’s a different level of portal talent they’re bringing in this year.

Less question marks, more production. Less Sagapolu, Ladson, Lichtenstein type guys and more Mesidor types.

Aka proven guys that were among the best players on their teams and conference.

While there are still a ton of gaps to fill and we’re not getting the quantity we wanted, the level of play has clearly been elevated. Not really any question marks so far.
Yup, really the only question mark is Gore and he was one of the best interior pass rushers in the G5

Advertisement
If you're going to add Horton as an "In", you need to add Moutlrie to the "Out" bucket.
Lichtenstein also "Returning".
Not sure JHH is a guaranteed "Returning".

So with those adjustments:
* 5 out and potentially 6 depending on JHH ... including ALL 3 of our Big Men
vs.
* 3 In

We need to add at least 1 NG, arguably 2.

It's not the end of the world. The talent is okay. But the depth of talent is a concern. And we're too one dimensional to compete at a high level with the current DT room.

Im not sure JHH returns either. I would like to add a couple productive 6’5 320 types but with our schedule we can easily pass with just one NG and hope Moten is ready.

Last edited:
The problem is we’re comparing two different positions. I would expect a three technique to get more pressures. He’s not playing one or zero and is not the guy getting doubled on every snap. Deen is an effective 3T. We still don’t have a 1T or NT who’s played a college snap and that’s what concerns me.
We are comparing the exact same guy. I just laid it out for you.

A 5T is not getting pressure on the QB. He’s lined up directly over a T and his job most of the time in pass rush is to push the pocket and create a wall that the QB can’t step up into.

Same as you don’t expect a 1T to get a ton of pressure, but he’s not even lining up over a blocker, he’s in a gap. Miami almost never played a 0T. If they wanted to try and force a double they’d shade their 1T.

He was a more productive player than Jackson. Point blank. I review every play multiple times and put out proof in articles. Jackson was a fine 3T and they wanted to keep him, but he wasn’t an effective 1T, and he was really poor against doubles. Often times he would be moved so much he would give up his back.

If we had one, quite often.
We have a 1T on ~14% of snaps last year. We had a 0T on ~2% of snaps. We had a shaded 1 or 1i ~4% of snaps last year.

So, yes, we had a player in the A-gap and inside of a G on roughly one out of every five snaps last year.

I think we need a player who can hold a double as much as anyone on this board. It is also true we didn’t have a player who could hold a double last year.

We have a 1T on ~14% of snaps last year. We had a 0T on ~2% of snaps. We had a shaded 1 or 1i ~4% of snaps last year.

So, yes, we had a player in the A-gap and inside of a G on roughly one out of every five snaps last year.

I think we need a player who can hold a double as much as anyone on this board. It is also true we didn’t have a player who could hold a double last year.
Where do you get your stats from?

Advertisement
Back