Basketball school

It almost feels like we’re living in some sort of alternate dimension, Twilight Zone ish. First, you got the Canes winning the ACC. Then, you have both Duke AND North Carolina not even ranked. Oh yea, you also have Bama dominating the sport. Not college football, mind you, but college B-Ball. I honestly don’t know what to even make of this season anymore.

Advertisement
They should be Champs, vs. Co-Champs. They have the head to head W, so not sure why they would be considered “co” Champs.
The loss to FSU screwed us out of the solo regular season title. We finished at 15-5 in conference play, same as Virginia. Let all the media darlings get the limelight, I’ll take another great showing in the ACC tournament and a deep run for March Madness

**** outta here with that nonsense. Acc is **** right now and if u don't see that then look at Duke,unc,Syracuse & Louisville in particular and that ends that debate. Was horribly off year for bball in acc. BUT I'm glad we capitalized on it atleast. Would love to see us do the same in football. Well never be a basketball school though
Agree to an extent that the traditional powers on Tobacco Road are down. But ‘Cuse hasn’t been great for a while.
But more importantly to me is that UM is very good in any era of ACC basketball. Maybe not 15-5 good if Duke and UNC are as good as normal, but this UM team is definitely 3 seed NC2A tourney worthy in any season.

Bottom line we are not subjectively good this year, we are objectively good.

Advertisement
2 1st round picks in 10 and the 73rd ranked recruiting class imma pass on basketball school. 👀

So we’re now judging success on recruiting class rankings? B/c I could’ve sworn TCU was just in the Nat’l Championship game. Could’ve sworn Pitt just waxed us on our own field. Could’ve sworn FIU throttled us at the old crib. Meanwhile, I could’ve sworn Miami beat the pre-season #1 team in UNC this yr. Could’ve sworn they beat The Duke Blue Devils & their top 2 recruiting class.

Listen, this is all in gist and for laughs & giggles, but there’s some truth to Miami being more of a b-ball school with its line of success compared to football since joining the ACC. The Football program has gone to chit since joining the ACC, while the b-hall program is experiencing success like never seen in its history since joining the ACC.

Miami is still a football school, but it’s ironic the least talked or thought about program within the Athletic Dept is having the most success & it’s not close.

Duke Basketball Fan here. Three things:

Congrats. Coach L is simply an elite basketball coach IMO.

If the ACC has a great year in the NCAA tournament, lets say Miami, Duke, UVA make it to the elite 8, was it truly a down year? Could happen.

UF won back to back titles, still, nobody considers them a basketball school. Gonna be hard for Miami to transition to a basketball school IMO.

Not a lot of schools i can think of right now off top that do both pretty well. As i type this i think Michigan is probably the closest on terms of some sort of prestige in both sports. I am sure i am missing other programs but thats why this board is great, as some will surely enlighten me.

Advertisement
So we’re now judging success on recruiting class rankings? B/c I could’ve sworn TCU was just in the Nat’l Championship game. Could’ve sworn Pitt just waxed us on our own field. Could’ve sworn FIU throttled us at the old crib. Meanwhile, I could’ve sworn Miami beat the pre-season #1 team in UNC this yr. Could’ve sworn they beat The Duke Blue Devils & their top 2 recruiting class.

Listen, this is all in gist and for laughs & giggles, but there’s some truth to Miami being more of a b-ball school with its line of success compared to football since joining the ACC. The Football program has gone to chit since joining the ACC, while the b-hall program is experiencing success like never seen in its history since joining the ACC.

Miami is still a football school, but it’s ironic the least talked or thought about program within the Athletic Dept is having the most success & it’s not close.
I definitely didn't say that's how you judge success. But the draft picks are relevant and long term success is relevant. We don't have either. But regardless like I've said and to extend on what you said about the least talked about or thought about program & it's success I'll agree. But that doesn't make it basketball. That makes it tennis or swimming... That's just women's tennis since 2012. Obviously I'm not saying we're a tennis or swimming school. But that's the only constant success we've had here in recent years. Yet at the end of the day THE ONLY REASON we are a talked about and hated school is OUR FOOTBALL TEAM. That makes us always a football school. Because that attention whether deserved or not keeps us a talking point. No other school with as lil success in the last twenty years would have three major conferences all fighting over having us as a member. None & that's cause of football.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230305_142052_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230305_142052_Chrome.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 38
Duke Basketball Fan here. Three things:

Congrats. Coach L is simply an elite basketball coach IMO.

If the ACC has a great year in the NCAA tournament, lets say Miami, Duke, UVA make it to the elite 8, was it truly a down year? Could happen.

UF won back to back titles, still, nobody considers them a basketball school. Gonna be hard for Miami to transition to a basketball school IMO.

Not a lot of schools i can think of right now off top that do both pretty well. As i type this i think Michigan is probably the closest on terms of some sort of prestige in both sports. I am sure i am missing other programs but thats why this board is great, as some will surely enlighten me.
Baylor, Texas, Auburn, Tennessee, Kentucky, Oh ST, UNC, TCU...

There’s arguments to be made for Clemson, Oklahoma, Kansas ST & if Chip Kelly continues to have success at UCLA, they’d be in it as well.

Lol... skirmishes don't need a knockout punch to win... good jab counts can do it.

Advertisement
Baylor, Texas, Auburn, Tennessee, Kentucky, Oh ST, UNC, TCU...

There’s arguments to be made for Clemson, Oklahoma, Kansas ST & if Chip Kelly continues to have success at UCLA, they’d be in it as well.
Historically speaking, again, is there really a prestigious reputation for Baylor, Texas, Auburn, Tennessee, OSU and TCU in basketball? Those schools are still overwhelmingly looked upon as football schools, who have had good years in basketball.

Kentucky and UNC are to basketball what Miami is in football. Sure, there have been some decent years but I don’t think basketball truly moves the needle in a lot of the schools you mentioned.

I really think Michigan is the closest i can think of. Its weird, i know there is truly no measurable way to determine it so i hope i am making sense.

Last edited:
I definitely didn't say that's how you judge success. But the draft picks are relevant and long term success is relevant. We don't have either. But regardless like I've said and to extend on what you said about the least talked about or thought about program & it's success I'll agree. But that doesn't make it basketball. That makes it tennis or swimming... That's just women's tennis since 2012. Obviously I'm not saying we're a tennis or swimming school. But that's the only constant success we've had here in recent years. Yet at the end of the day THE ONLY REASON we are a talked about and hated school is OUR FOOTBALL TEAM. That makes us always a football school. Because that attention whether deserved or not keeps us a talking point. No other school with as lil success in the last twenty years would have three major conferences all fighting over having us as a member. None & that's cause of football.

Bro, I didn’t even respond to u. Lol. I didn’t even know u said anything about draft picks or anything.

Again, we all know that we’re a football school. There’s only a handful of true b-ball schools in America, namely UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA & those schools will occasionally have a solid football program, as well. We don’t dare talk about non-revenue sports, at any school. Lol.

The point was more tongue & cheek that it’s ironic that a school notorious for its football program that put Miami on the map have had more team success in the least talk about program in our AD which is b-hall SINCE joining the ACC. That’s a slap to the face of the admins, if anything b/c the b-ball program have been doing way more w/ less than our FB program who have consistently out-recruited every team, on avg. in the entire ACC Coastal since 2004.

Historically speaking, again, is there really a prestigious reputation for Baylor, Texas, Auburn, Tennessee, OSU and TCU in basketball? Those schools are still overwhelmingly looked upon as football schools, who have had good years in basketball.

Kentucky and UNC are to basketball what Miami is in football. Sure, there have been some decent years but I don’t think basketball truly moves the needle in a lot if the schools you mentioned.

I really think Michigan is the closest i can think of. Its weird, i know there is truly no measurable way to determine it so i hope i am making sense.
Baylor literally won a National Championship in Basketball just 2-3 seasons ago. UT, Auburn, Tenn, Oh ST etc are all teams who routinely make the tournament & go far.

If the criteria you’re using is, reputation, then that’s subjective & based more on perception than anything tangible.

All of Michigan’s success in both FBall & Basketball has really only come in recent years, neither program has really been anything close to what it was in the 90’s & decades before, so in what way is Michigan more of a “Dual-threat” school in both sports than teams that have actually had more success in both sports?

Advertisement
Bro, I didn’t even respond to u. Lol. I didn’t even know u said anything about draft picks or anything.

Again, we all know that we’re a football school. There’s only a handful of true b-ball schools in America, namely UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA & those schools will occasionally have a solid football program, as well. We don’t dare talk about non-revenue sports, at any school. Lol.

The point was more tongue & cheek that it’s ironic that a school notorious for its football program that put Miami on the map have had more team success in the least talk about program in our AD which is b-hall SINCE joining the ACC. That’s a slap to the face of the admins, if anything b/c the b-ball program have been doing way more w/ less than our FB program who have consistently out-recruited every team, on avg. in the entire ACC Coastal since 2004.
Fair enough. But I'd say The biggest difference would be we have always made sure we applied resources towards building a good basketball staff. We've always had someone who's been successful at this level when it relates to our basketball staffs. Until recently other than Richt we've put no effort into building a proper staff and applying our resources towards football. Honestly without saying too much I'll tell you one thing I know when it relates to our administration previously we were ashamed of our football program & the reputation that it gave us. We've effectively trying to run from our bread and butter because we didn't like the taste. Until nobody could deny the fact we had became a joke in football there was zero interest in rectifying that situation. Now very different story

Baylor literally won a National Championship in Basketball just 2-3 seasons ago. UT, Auburn, Tenn, Oh ST etc are all teams who routinely make the tournament & go far.

If the criteria you’re using is, reputation, then that’s subjective & based more on perception than anything tangible.

All of Michigan’s success in both FBall & Basketball has really only come in recent years, neither program has really been anything close to what it was in the 90’s & decades before, so in what way is Michigan more of a “Dual-threat” school in both sports than teams that have actually had more success in both sports?

I readily admit there is no tangible or measurable way to prove what i am saying.

I think there needs to be success, at minimum, on and off if not consistently, over an extended period of time.

Like Rell said, recently, Miami basketball has been more successful than Miami football but I don’t think any of us are under any illusion that the BRAND comes from the success on the football field.

I dont think Baylor has enough of a history to register. You mentioned Michigan, not having success for a long time since the 90s until recently. Maybe thats the point. Any blue blood in basketball or powerhouse in football probably does have notable success, as you say, at least back in the 80s to 90s.

Advertisement
Back