Baseball America Projected Field of 64

Advertisement
I can't speak for Baseball America's formula, but I was looking at the RPI for D1 Baseball before reading this thread. I can't seem to find their formula, but the teams in the top 5 RPI are a joke. Oregon, Gonzaga, UC-San Diego are a joke. Oregon is rated #3 RPI and #3 SOS. How, I have no idea. Oregon's best wins are against teams whose RPI is 50 or worse. That includes Stanford, USC, and Utah. UC-San Diego swept Oregon so they get credit for winning against and overrated team. Gonzaga swept Oklahoma State on the road, but nothing else impressive on the resume.

Baseball America has those teams seeded appropriately, but he RPI's are outrageous.

Miami has a great opportunity to improve it's seeding and get into the top 8 with what's remaining on the schedule.

With nearly at the midway point of the season, there's plenty of opportunities that can help Miami reach the top 8:
4/8 - UVA
4/29 - GT
5/13 - FSU
5/19 - ND

If Miami could win those series, then there would be a great chance of making it to a top 8 national seed.

It goes without saying that Miami need to handle their business against lessor teams like Duke this weekend and the non-conference foes.

Advertisement
Projections will change weekly
LOL thanks.
I can't speak for Baseball America's formula, but I was looking at the RPI for D1 Baseball before reading this thread. I can't seem to find their formula, but the teams in the top 5 RPI are a joke. Oregon, Gonzaga, UC-San Diego are a joke. Oregon is rated #3 RPI and #3 SOS. How, I have no idea. Oregon's best wins are against teams whose RPI is 50 or worse. That includes Stanford, USC, and Utah. UC-San Diego swept Oregon so they get credit for winning against and overrated team. Gonzaga swept Oklahoma State on the road, but nothing else impressive on the resume.

Baseball America has those teams seeded appropriately, but he RPI's are outrageous.
Here is the RPI formula:

Winning percentage x .25 plus
Opponents’ winning percentage x .50 plus
Opponents’ opponents’ winning percentage x .25

There is one little catch to your own winning percentage though. A home win only counts as .7 of a win, while a home loss counts as 1.3 losses. Reverse that on the road.

And we can disagree with the RPI rankings, but the committee puts a lot of weight in them.

And we can disagree with the RPI rankings, but the committee puts a lot of weight in them.
The RPI is severely flawed bc of midweek games and conference strength. It props up mid major schools who play strong midweek games and lower end SEC schools. Remember when playing St Thomas cost Miami about 5 spots a couple years ago? They won the game and RPI hammered us just for playing them.

The RPI is severely flawed bc of midweek games and conference strength. It props up mid major schools who play strong midweek games and lower end SEC schools. Remember when playing St Thomas cost Miami about 5 spots a couple years ago? They won the game and RPI hammered us just for playing them.
That didn't happen because non-D1 games don't count either way in the RPI.

Advertisement
During the selection show they said that game moved us down a handful of spots. That’s why I said they hammered Miami just for playing them.

I'm just telling you that those games don't count in the RPI. It might have moved us down in the eyes of some committee members, but it did not affect the RPI.

I'm just telling you that those games don't count in the RPI. It might have moved us down in the eyes of some committee members, but it did not affect the RPI.
I probably phrased that wrong. I remember the committee dude saying 30 wins weren’t enough and we don’t look at wins against non D1 teams. Simply scheduling a normal midweek, probably gets us over that hump that year. SOS and RPI would’ve been inside that line.

I probably phrased that wrong. I remember the committee dude saying 30 wins weren’t enough and we don’t look at wins against non D1 teams. Simply scheduling a normal midweek, probably gets us over that hump that year. SOS and RPI would’ve been inside that line.
No question. That was an example of if you just go up and play FAU it would have gotten the job done.

Advertisement
No question. That was an example of if you just go up and play FAU it would have gotten the job done.
That’s the way I took it. When they say you didn’t have enough wins against D1 teams, it’s a direct shot at your scheduling.

Did that hurt our SOS? Or is that weighted as D1 only too? For some reason it’s stuck in my head that it hurt our SOS. Maybe I’m wrong on that.

That’s the way I took it. When they say you didn’t have enough wins against D1 teams, it’s a direct shot at your scheduling.

Did that hurt our SOS? Or is that weighted as D1 only too? For some reason it’s stuck in my head that it hurt our SOS. Maybe I’m wrong on that.
Non-D1 opponents don’t effect any of the metrics the NCAA uses one way or another. In that instance we could have used an effect to our win total, but there are instances where you would be better off scheduling a St Thomas vs a high 200 RPI school that’s guaranteed to harm RPI/SOS if you’re absolutely just looking to fill a game.

That year was a freak circumstance where we were good enough in the conference standings to merit a berth but for the fact that we lost a ridiculous number of nonconference games. Usually if you’re that bad OOC you’re going to struggle in the ACC. We likely would finish with a higher RPI/SOS this year had we scheduled St Thomas vs a fourth game against Towson.

Last edited:
Non-D1 opponents don’t effect any of the metrics the NCAA uses one way or another. In that instance we could have used an effect to our win total, but there are instances where you would be better off scheduling a St Thomas vs a high 200 RPI school that’s guaranteed to harm RPI/SOS if you’re absolutely just looking to fill a game.

That year was a freak circumstance where we were good enough in the conference standings to merit a berth but for the fact that we lost a ridiculous number of nonconference games. Usually if you’re that bad OOC you’re going to struggle in the ACC. We likely would finish with a higher RPI/SOS this year had we scheduled St Thomas vs a fourth game against Towson.
Pretty sure we lost a lot if not most of our midweek games that year, right?

Advertisement
Pretty sure we lost a lot if not most of our midweek games that year, right?
I think you’re right. There was definitely a season toward the end of 3’s tenure that we were awful in midweek games and it cost us. For all of Gino’s issues, we’ve actually been really good midweek since he took over.

I think you’re right. There was definitely a season toward the end of 3’s tenure that we were awful in midweek games and it cost us. For all of Gino’s issues, we’ve actually been really good midweek since he took over.
That was the 1 year we missed the post season. We did finish the year on a high note. I think it we won 10 out of 13 games or something like that. (too lazy to actually look it up)

Advertisement
Back