Base defense or nickel vs notre dame ?

brock

All-American
Defense seems to play even better in the nickel from the looks of it. Less missed assignments

Advertisement
Don't think we will see a lot of nickel

Would be surprised at anything but 4-3 maybe even play a 4-4 as they are horrific in down field throws

I say we play the 2-9

McIntosh and Norton wrecking the OL and everyone else playing like wild dogs

No McCloud. Can't afford his poor instincts and tackling. I'd go nickel. Give me the guys who are athlete enough to run around blocks and still make the tackle.

Advertisement
We have to match personnel. We can't have a nickel back taking on TEs and OL too often. They are just going to run it up the middle if we come out in that.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

We have to match personnel. We can't have a nickel back taking on TEs and OL too often. They are just going to run it up the middle if we come out in that.

Saw bandy obliterate a lineman from va tech on the first drive . He plays big but we will see

Yeah, Notre Dame isn't afraid to use 3 or even 4 TEs in a formation and basically all of them can catch.

I remember a number of years ago that the Redskins played a great running Packers team that couldnt pass, and actually played with 5 DL. They won the game.

Advertisement
ND will come out run heavy for sure we all know that especially on the road hostile environment nothing takes the crowd out of the game like a steady dose of the run. We have to play mostly base this game man up on the outsides.

I still like McCloud in this game for some reason... Give me a sneaky Bandy on 2nd and 3rd

It was brought up earlier in the thread, but a 4-4 would be ideal.

We were particularly lethal with it in '08 against Tim Tebow for 3 quarters.

Its weakness is deep balls, and our corners will be on islands anyway.

Easily disguisable using a base 4-3.

The 4-4 was used a lot in the 80s to neuter option teams and it worked very well

Advertisement
I'm a big fan of how we play in the nickel with Bandy getting comfortable. But against a team we know is going to "try" and establish the run, I see a lot of base Saturday.

Advertisement
The scheme is clearly important (and it will mostly be a base 4-3) but our defense must:

1) wrap up when tackling (not just stick a shoulder into the runner)
2) gang tackle (would be great to see 2-3 Miami players ultimately supporting the initial tackler (it will reduce the potential for broken tackles & long runs after initial contact)
3) play disciplined and key on stopping the run
4) play physical
5) refuse to lose

Go Canes!

This game is all about the LBs

cant be taking bad gaps... blowing containment or whoever is spying the QB needs to be on it

I personally think the Dline will have its hands full for 3 quarters till maybe the 4th till we see a sign of life from them mostly because ND has elite and special talent up and down nothing on our guys just two awesome forces duking it out

It was brought up earlier in the thread, but a 4-4 would be ideal.

We were particularly lethal with it in '08 against Tim Tebow for 3 quarters.

Its weakness is deep balls, and our corners will be on islands anyway.

Easily disguisable using a base 4-3.

The 4-4 was used a lot in the 80s to neuter option teams and it worked very well

The best defense ever invented is the Miami 4-3. Speed beats strength every time. I want our fastest and best tackling athletes on the field, size be damned. Unfortunately i think that leaves McCloud sidelined.

ND is going to run a couple of play action passes and hit their TEs to keep our LBs guessing and honest.

Advertisement
Back