Base defense, 5 men in the box on Cook's final TD run

rok

Great Poster
Why did Golden revert back to playing base defense against 4 WR sets?

Perryman and Kirby are 15 yards away from the ball when it's snapped.

Untitled.jpg

Advertisement
Do you see how far Perryman had to travel just to miss that tackle?

Also, go back and watch it, McCord missed him at the LOS because he went unblocked.

Poor scheme. Again.

I prefer another alignment and personnel grouping, but there were 2 obscenely poor tackles on that play. I don't want to blame the coaches for **** like that because then real gripes get watered down.

Advertisement
Looks nothing like the old defense to me. We have 5 guys on the line with a safety coming down. A 7th guy is peering into the backfield and cheating into the box. We have 9 guys within 5 yards of the los. They only have 5 blockers. This play should have been a 4-5 yard gain at best. We have 5 guys vs their 5 guys on the line so if anyone can make a 1-1 play it goes for a yard or two or no gain.

The old d would have had 4 guys at most on the line, possibly 3. LBS 7 yards of the ball and safeties out of view.

There's no reason for our two LBs to be lined up that far away from the ball though. The only guy with a legitimate shot was McCord.

We got out-coached on this play.

Instead of routinely going to our pass rushing unit on 3rd down like robots, perhaps we should've done so in this instance.

They knew they could spread us out and they knew we'd miss tackles because we were tired.

Instead of playing tight man coverage down the stretch like we should've been doing, we reverted back to this softness.

Advertisement
hcanes,

Carter is the last line of defense lined up around the 10.

At least go nickel here like any sane coach would.

That way you could've had a DB on each WR and still had two LBs near the LOS to make a play.

Might as well have had 10 guys on the field with Kirby that far away.

Advertisement
Carter is not pictured about 15 yards off the LOS to prevent the big play

When you have your LBs that are suppose to be your 2nd line of defense against the run having to worry about crossing routes while spread completely off the line in space where they are obviously not comfortable, then you are asking for missed tackles and blown assignments.

If Miami had a Dline that can attack the line then maybe these weird alignments would work one day. But they cant attack and because of it Dalvin Cook never had to worry about a Dlineman touching him before getting to the LBs and DBs. Once that happens all he see is space and opportunity, still should have made the tackle but our defensive scheme is the worst i have ever seen in my life.

This is a little silly. You can make the argument that we should've been in nickel, but when they spread the field you have to account for their WR's...Do you guys want 10 guys in the box and no one on Rudolph, Greene, and Lane?

Advertisement
I want more than 5 men in the box god dammit.

I don't ******* want Perryman and Kirby flanked out wide for no ******* reason.

If carter is that far back, then it is worse than a excuse than only having 10 men on the field. The complete middle of the field is wide open, but that ain't coaching.

There were 4 msised tackles before he even crossed the 1st down marker. That was the issue. We had a guy hit him at the LOS, he failed to make a tackle.

Seriously, do you guys want the defense to disregard the 4 wideouts and play 10 in the box? The alignment is fine. The missing of 4 tackles is not.

Advertisement
Back