Barry's personnel notes post-game

Dan Sileo JR

Band
Banned
Thoughts, notes from UM's win against Toledo | Miami Herald
All credit to Barry and the herald.

A dozen thoughts and notes from UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium, a game in which the Hurricanes trailed 16-10 at halftime:

• The key word on Malik Rosier, which we’ve used all summer, is streaky. And this was quintessential Rosier on Saturday.

He was inaccurate on several throws during four consecutive possessions that ended in punts spanning the second quarter and the start of the third.

But beginning with UM’s second possession of the second half, Rosier was extraordinary for a 17-minute stretch, firing a bunch of terrific throws to Dayall Harris (for a perfectly placed touchdown), Michael Irvin Jr., Mike Harley, Chris Herndon (a bunch of them, including one for a touchdown) and a couple to Braxton Berrios during a 28-0 second-half run.

And then Rosier had a bad overthrow that was intercepted and returned to the UM eight yard line. Toledo quickly converted and closed to within 38-30.

But Rosier rebounded with three completions and a 23-yard touchdown run on UM’s ensuing series.

So Rosier, who along with the whole offense was booed early in the third quarter, took UM fans on a rollercoaster ride but ultimately emerged with a victory and very good overall numbers: 27 for 36 for 333 yards, three touchdowns and the one pick.

UM will need to live with Rosier’s streakiness, because when he’s on target, he’s clearly the best of what UM has available, considering exceptionally talented N’Kosi Perry isn’t ready (from all indications) and Evan Shirreffs is limited.

• Junior Mark Walton showed why one NFC executive said he’s UM’s best draft eligible prospect.

He opened with 132 yards rushing on his first five carries before the ankle injury. He returned later and scampered for 17 yards on his first carry back in the game and 18 on his next.

His final numbers: 11 carries for 204 yards. It marked the seventh time a UM runner has rushed for 200 yards, according to WQAM, which is absurd considering he had fewer than a dozen carries.

The 18.5 per rush average is UM’s fifth-best ever in a game.

Walton now has 28 touchdowns in 28 games and is closing in on Edgerrin James’ and Stephen McGuire’s Hurricanes career record for touchdowns (35). James, incidentally, had his 35 TDs in 28 games.

• With Walton sidelined for parts of the second and third quarters because of the ankle injury, Travis Homer ignited UM’s go-ahead drive with two catches for 39 yards and a 12-yard TD run.

He closed the scoring with a 15-yard touchdown run, easily getting to the outside and flashing the acceleration that UM loves.

• Harley had a drop but made several excellent catches, closing with three catches for 34 yards.

Irvin, who has improved in recent weeks, had two catches for 28 yards. With those two and Homer, the young skill position players are showing encouraging signs.

Dionte Mullins made his first catch as a Hurricane, for 14 yards, after dropping a deep ball earlier.

• We mentioned this summer that Berrios needed to be incorporated more in the offense, and credit UM for doing that. Berrios made a terrific move on his 54-yard catch and run and his 19-yard TD catch was exceptional.

Berrios then made two key catches for substantial yards on UM’s first two offensive plays after Toledo closed within 38-30. Berrios finished the day with five catches for 105 yards. He had 12 for 178 all of last season.

• The offensive line did good work in the running game, but there were missteps. Trevor Darling allowed a sack and Kc McDermott had a costly penalty that negated a Rosier TD run and was badly beaten on a Homer run that lost five yards.

• Defensively, UM’s secondary continues to have too many lapses. Logan Woodside, Toledo’s highly skilled quarterback, closed 28 for 48 for 342 yards, three touchdowns and no picks.

UM cornerback Dee Delaney, the transfer from The Citadel who is considered an NFL prospect, was beaten at least five times in coverage and was nowhere near Devante Johnson on a 35-yard touchdown pass.

Michael Jackson, the other starter, was beaten for a 38-yard completion, which would have been a touchdown if Sheldrick Redwine hadn’t hustled to tackle the receiver.

But Redwine cost UM later with an offsides penalty on a missed Toledo field goal to close the first half. The Rockets got a second chance on the field goal and converted.

Jackson later allowed a touchdown catch. It’s surprising that Jhavonte Dean, the nation’s top junior college cornerback last season, hasn’t been able to beat out Jackson or crack the rotation.

Malek Young had some good moments, but UM worries about him against the run because of his diminutive stature and he was beaten on a Toledo two-point conversion.

Freshman Trajan Bandy had two dynamic tackles and and a nifty play in coverage.

• Linebacker play was erratic. Charles Perry played a lot and was victimized several times in coverage.

• The run defense improved in the second half, with Toledo finishing with 85 yards on 35 carries (a 2.4 average)..

Richard McIntosh Jr. had a couple of nice plays - including a stop on a failed Toledo two-point conversion attempt - but the run defense early on missed Demetrius Jackson, who was injured in practice last week, before stiffening.

Freshman defensive tackle Jon Ford got some playing time late and could become a real factor before the season ends.

• Besides McIntosh (who had a sack on a nifty swim move), several other defensive players warrant shout-outs. Anthony Moten made a key stop on the UM 47 on a 3rd and two early in the third quarter. Toledo then punted, and UM - on the ensuing drive - scored its first of four consecutive touchdowns... Trent Harris had a sack and was very active... Shaquille Quarterman was effective on blitzes and Pat Bethel got pressure on the quarterback.

But overall, the defense was blitzed for 429 yards by a potent Toledo team. The Rockets converted 13 of 23 third downs into first downs.

• UM outgained Toledo, 288-68, during its 28-0 run in the second half. The Hurricanes had 587 yards of offense.

• Herndon had a career-high eight catches for 65 yards and is emerging as a valuable safety valve for Rosier.

Advertisement
The whole team is streaky. The biggest key to becoming dominate is being consistent. Once this teams locks in and plays 4 quarters the way we play in the 2nd half. They will be crushing opppnenets. The includes the coaches as well. Notiable differnece in play calling in both halfs, on both sides of the ball.

I expected the team to be a bit off kilter, given the circumstances. However, there is no excuse for the offensive play calling in the first half and the defensive scheme the entire game.

I truly believe it was unrealistic to expect the team to be in mid-season form, having only played one game against a JV team and having only practiced 5-6 times in the previous 18 days (Since Sept 5th).

Considering the previous mentioned I am not as bent out shape as some others at this point of the season. Is there reason for concern, yes! However is there reason to panic, NOPE!!!

I misread the title as personal .... Thought this way going to be from Barry's diary.... Was excited and scared..

There's no way I'd call Rosier's performance yesterday streaky. He completely 75% of his passes and of the 9 incompletions at least 3-4 were first half throws on the money that were dropped. Mullins deep ball, Berrios on the ball he tried to 1 hand (would have been a tough catch but Rosier put the ball in a good spot), Harley drop over the middle. Obviously the interception was a crappy throw, but if even a couple of those balls are caught he's over 80%. Expecting better than that seems over aggressive for a scrimmage, no less his 3rd career start.

Rosier's pure throwing might end up being the biggest positive development of this entire season. The 3rd and 18 out to Harley was a big time throw. The TD to Berrios was a big time throw. He really showed he can drop it in there. Long way to go, defenses will get better and his decision making is going to be tested but he showed yesterday that he's at least got the arm talent to be a successful passer.

Advertisement
Rosier is gonna be just fine. That arm strength is amazing. He has nice command of his throws. Overall, I'm impressed. Defensively, I wonder if there is a bit of ego that has us not playing right. Is it that they ALL want to be the star of the defense?

Did Hearndon make a catch while lined up on the OL? Seems all his catches were while split wide. I would still like to see us use the TE in a more traditional role. I do believe Irvin's confidence and play could be much better if he played more. We need to use the TE's down the seams, post and on crossing routes. I'll maintain we have to diversify the offense at minimum by running more routes.

critics gon critic....and porsters gon porst

We 2.0.....looking forward to being 3.0 after curb stompin Dookie Univ.

Go Canes!!!

Advertisement
I expected the team to be a bit off kilter, given the circumstances. However, there is no excuse for the offensive play calling in the first half and the defensive scheme the entire game.

I truly believe it was unrealistic to expect the team to be in mid-season form, having only played one game against a JV team and having only practiced 5-6 times in the previous 18 days (Since Sept 5th).

Considering the previous mentioned I am not as bent out shape as some others at this point of the season. Is there reason for concern, yes! However is there reason to panic, NOPE!!!

Good post. Couldn't agree more. There are things that concern me but nothing to panic about. Wish Duke game was on Saturday so we could actually have a normal practice week. If we can pull out a win an extra day for fsu week won't hurt. Hopefully the teams attention and focus will be more locked in. We already know that we will have to overcome 100+ penalty yards with game being in the state of NC.

Did Hearndon make a catch while lined up on the OL? Seems all his catches were while split wide. I would still like to see us use the TE in a more traditional role. I do believe Irvin's confidence and play could be much better if he played more. We need to use the TE's down the seams, post and on crossing routes. I'll maintain we have to diversify the offense at minimum by running more routes.

Made a catch out of the backfield in the FB position though.
Nicely designed TD.

There's no way I'd call Rosier's performance yesterday streaky. He completely 75% of his passes and of the 9 incompletions at least 3-4 were first half throws on the money that were dropped. Mullins deep ball, Berrios on the ball he tried to 1 hand (would have been a tough catch but Rosier put the ball in a good spot), Harley drop over the middle. Obviously the interception was a crappy throw, but if even a couple of those balls are caught he's over 80%. Expecting better than that seems over aggressive for a scrimmage, no less his 3rd career start.

Rosier's pure throwing might end up being the biggest positive development of this entire season. The 3rd and 18 out to Harley was a big time throw. The TD to Berrios was a big time throw. He really showed he can drop it in there. Long way to go, defenses will get better and his decision making is going to be tested but he showed yesterday that he's at least got the arm talent to be a successful passer.
Took the words out of my mouth.
I don't understand. People are so stuck on their preconceived ideas that nothing seems to change them. This writer, like many here on this board won't change their opinions about Rosier even if he win a national championship. It will be "Miami won despite Rosier streakiness".

Advertisement
He doesn't mention 75 yds in penalties & 3rd down conversion attempts which continue to haunt us....what will be the excuse on Friday night @ Duke? And the lame targeting penalty that wasn't.....officials are ruining the game....almost 4 hour long game.

Advertisement

Good post. Couldn't agree more. There are things that concern me but nothing to panic about. Wish Duke game was on Saturday so we could actually have a normal practice week. If we can pull out a win an extra day for fsu week won't hurt. Hopefully the teams attention and focus will be more locked in. We already know that we will have to overcome 100+ penalty yards with game being in the state of NC.

Right now, and its early, Rosier may be better than BK.

Malek Young had some good moments, but UM worries about him against the run because of his diminutive stature and he was beaten on a Toledo two-point conversion.

I despise this. Let's keep worrying about his stature in theory while he actually makes tackles in real life and looks like the only CB being played who can change direction. Yes, he got beat on 2-PT conversion. It happens. He wasn't bullied and it wasn't related to his size. This is more of the same crap we heard whispered from greentree practices. We're playing theory ball, I guess? I'd be more concerned the other two corners can't seem to change direction and are slow to react. Wouldn't that be more worrisome?!

I despise this. Let's keep worrying about his stature in theory while he actually makes tackles in real life and looks like the only CB being played who can change direction. Yes, he got beat on 2-PT conversion. It happens. He wasn't bullied and it wasn't related to his size. This is more of the same crap we heard whispered from greentree practices. We're playing theory ball, I guess? I'd be more concerned the other two corners can't seem to change direction and are slow to react. Wouldn't that be more worrisome?!

Agreed he ta

Agreed he tackles just fine.Now Delaney well thats another question

Advertisement
Back