Barry Jackson's chatter column on recruiting class...

canesg75

Redshirt Freshman
This is from Barry Jackson's chatter column in the Herald. Something I found interesting is that he mentions a UM source saying that the reason that things went down with Kirkland the way it did is because UM has enough silent commits on top of the 12 verbals to have their 17-18 full signee class..... That obviously means we have 5 or six silent commits right now..... My question is who? lol It's not just 1 or 2, it's F***ing 5 or 6 guys we have no clue of....

### The UM/Denver Kirkland soap opera ended Saturday, when Kirkland met with UM coaches and decided not to attend Miami, according to his step-father, who said Denver will choose FSU or Arkansas.

But why did UM pull its scholarship offer to the Booker T. Washington All-American on Thursday? A UM source said here was the thinking at the time: Kirkland had a Hurricanes offer for nine months (he chose not to accept a take-it-or-leave-it offer from UM on Thursday) and UM coaches felt he was playing games with them. Plus, UM had some silent commitments at the time and was expecting a full class (17 or 18) without him. Al Golden doesn’t like to over-sign and force players to gray shirt or go to prep school.

Advertisement
Barry Jackson is one of the few reliable source for rumors/stories. So hmmm.

Advertisement
Ok, someone come on here and convince me we have 21 openings. I thought that number was pretty solid but according to Berry it is not that many.

Advertisement
At this point, I'm sure Golden knows what his class will be. My guess most coaches don't have more than one or two guys each year that haven't told them whether or not they're coming.

Maybe they were trying to convince Kirkland to gray shirt....

As far as 5 or 6....lets say/hope...Coley, Collins, Grace, Brooks, and one of Bryant/Bostwick....I think we take Edwards if he commits, and of course we take Thomas.

Ok, someone come on here and convince me we have 21 openings. I thought that number was pretty solid but according to Berry it is not that many.

It's not hard to create openings. If they wanted to take 21 they could. We are at like 66. Put Thompson on baseball and get rid of deadwood like Cain Cleveland and Dye and you are at 62 add 21 that's 83.... You still left a wee bit for minor sanctions.

They could create more attrition too if they wanted.

I don't think Al got crazy like us on the board when the NCAA S*** hit the fan... He is still w/holding scholarships to probably buy as many brownie points when we finally do go before the Infractions Committee... OR.... That lawsuit that supposedly is going to be filed by UM is suppose to be to get us off with time served only... If cutting 3 or 4 scholarships this season helps our case in both those scenarios then I'm all for it.

Advertisement

It's not hard to create openings. If they wanted to take 21 they could. We are at like 66. Put Thompson on baseball and get rid of deadwood like Cain Cleveland and Dye and you are at 62 add 21 that's 83.... You still left a wee bit for minor sanctions.

Dye is our best blocking TE. He isn't going anywhere.

We have 17-18 spots right?

Coley, Collins, Grace are the silents leaving room for Bostiwick, Bryant, Thomas, Edwards, random recruit noone expects(i.e EJ, Blue)?

I'm not shocked at the 5-6 silents...otherwise, why would Al and ESPN3 commit to 2 hours of coverage on a recruiting class that is barely on the national radar at this point. Has to be because Al is convinced we are getting commitments from some serious players that will make this a special class.

Advertisement
I would get rid of Armbrister as well but only if his cousin doesn't come. There is a lot of deadwood....lots of it.

Hate this line of thinking.

Advertisement
Back