Barry Jackson's 6 pack of Nuggets

Advertisement
Advertisement
CB: That corner position looks really thin. For about the 4th time in a decade, let me write "HOW THE **** IS THAT POSSIBLE AS A SCHOOL LOCATED IN SOUTH FLORIDA?"

WR: Despise what's been done with the WR position. Hate that he quit, and maybe we get lucky with Payton and Redding, but Hightower is the type of body we need. Please someone bring us guys who use their bodies and run routes. I don't get it. We openly look for WRs who give DBs the least amount of concerns? And then we use the WRs as if they were a totally different type of WR? Mike Rumph was a 1st round DB and is on the coaching staff. Can't someone walk over and perhaps he explain what traits are a pain in the *** to deal with regarding WRs? How are we so bad at this?

Safety: Hope Bolden fully recovers and we get him and Hall into something more than floating around the boundary hash and delayed blitz scenarios.

I know we don't have "elite" talent. I know our guys seemingly don't give an actual **** in most games. I know we were poorly prepared. But, I'd still take our roster over anyone's in the crap Coastal. If someone demands respect from the kids and holds people accountable, maybe even convinces them "hey, this is how working hard could make you some money," we'd at least be watchable. Nevermind, just dreaming here...

CB: That corner position looks really thin. For about the 4th time in a decade, let me write "HOW THE **** IS THAT POSSIBLE AS A SCHOOL LOCATED IN SOUTH FLORIDA?"

WR: Despise what's been done with the WR position. Hate that he quit, and maybe we get lucky with Payton and Redding, but Hightower is the type of body we need. Please someone bring us guys who use their bodies and run routes. I don't get it. We openly look for WRs who give DBs the least amount of concerns? And then we use the WRs as if they were a totally different type of WR? Mike Rumph was a 1st round DB and is on the coaching staff. Can't someone walk over and perhaps he explain what traits are a pain in the *** to deal with regarding WRs? How are we so bad at this?

Safety: Hope Bolden fully recovers and we get him and Hall into something more than floating around the boundary hash and delayed blitz scenarios.

I know we don't have "elite" talent. I know our guys seemingly don't give an actual **** in most games. I know we were poorly prepared. But, I'd still take our roster over anyone's in the crap Coastal. If someone demands respect from the kids and holds people accountable, maybe even convinces them "hey, this is how working hard could make you some money," we'd at least be watchable. Nevermind, just dreaming here...
Well said. Our recruiting approach, priorities and evaluations have been subpar.

Advertisement
Manny’s logic at hiring an oc “ If you’ve ever dug my guts out with excruciating penetration I’ll hire you”.

i dont trust mannys acumen on ihrinig guys but i **** sure do like bronco mendenhalls. hes a **** good coach.

Advertisement
Can’t believe that Manny will be given another year, his 5th with the program. Hasn’t he done enough damage?

You Sr. Reek of troll! Your name for one “Rodney Canegerfield” really? And for you to constantly bash Manny as a D coordinator on SEVERAL post is border line retarded (But really your just trolling) .... Miami’s defense is top 20 -30..... Facts!

Advertisement
▪ Receiver: This was the position where UM thought it would be much better than it actually was. Receivers struggled to gain separation even against Louisiana Tech, and part of that is the result of not running routes correctly.

KJ Osborn departs, and junior Jeff Thomas is turning pro but could go undrafted.
& this is why some so called 'fans' might as well just play fantasy football daily giveaways. The only thing you can mention is Orsborn is departing & Jeff Thomas might not get any team thinking he is good enough to get drafted in the 7 rounds.

I remember after Enos was hired as the play caller; every fan of Miami was saying Jeff is going to put up monster statistics & Osborn is the perfect number two receiver.. Every so called fan think they are a expert or something until the first year doesn't go according to plan.

Everyone praised Aaron Rodgers and ridiculed Favre - after Favre left the team. But Rodgers had the benefit of Mike Holgrem coaching. Same difference with Mahomes. Andy Reid as the qb coach. I have basic cable tv. But Louis Riddick was echoing what he saw & what Reid was stating - Like the giants gm job. They hired Gettleman instead because I guess he has a better eye for a nfl player. Instead they drafted Daniel Jones and started the season with Eli as the starter. After they passed on Watson, Mahomes, Lamar Jackson / after every mock draft guru said they need a rookie thrower.

Really its the ceo or the rich people of the nfl/college [private & public] that have no idea what they are doing; So they just recycle the same names even if they have a losing win/loss record their entire career yelling from the sidelines.

Our roster is depleted. My goodness what a horrid job we’ve done building depth and then everyone turning pro early has made it even worse

▪ Quarterback: The first offensive decision for Manny Diaz and a new coordinator will be whether to rely on what’s on the roster at quarterback or pursue a grad transfer.

Oregon has emerged as the favorite for the best grad transfer quarterback option, Wake Forest’s Jamie Newman, according to multiple reports. Newman had 26 touchdowns and 11 interceptions this past season and ran for 574 yards and six scores.

Among others available in the transfer portal: former UF starter Feleipe Franks (29 touchdowns, 9 interceptions over his past 17 games; injury ended his season after four games), Anthony Brown (29 touchdowns, 11 interceptions in his past 18 starts at Boston College, but played in only six games this past season before a knee injury), ex-Texas Tech starter Jett Duffey (18 touchdown, 5 interceptions, 65 completion percentage in 10 games this past season) and Arkansas’ Nick Starkel (22 TDs, 16 interceptions in career).

Brown is a dual-threat quarterback, and Duffey has experience in the spread offense that UM will implement.

Beyond Newman, the best grad transfer QB in the transfer portal is Stanford’s KJ Costello, who has 49 touchdowns, 18 interceptions and a 62.6 percent completion percentage in three seasons there but played just five games this past season because of injury. There’s no indication if he would consider UM.

There’s no great confidence internally that Jarren Williams, N’Kosi Perry and Tate Martell is a long-term answer, but the new coordinator will have a big say in the matter. Some UM people have grown weary of Williams’ inconsistency and public commentary from his family. Martell could get another long look with UM moving to the spread offense; he might be better suited to that system.

Signed commitment Tyler Van Dyke is considered more of a pro-style quarterback, but his Suffield (Connecticut) Academy prep coach — Drew Gamere — said Van Dyke played in a lot of spread sets last season, can thrive in the spread and is fine with the new offense and excited about enrolling at UM.

Van Dyke has a decent chance to be UM’s quarterback of the future, but counting on him to win the job as a freshman might be too much to expect.

It would be a surprise if Peyton Matocha won the job; he wasn’t even No. 4 on the depth chart this season (walk-on Carson Proctor was). But UM believes Matocha is smart and talented.

▪ Running back: With DeeJay Dallas turning pro and Lorenzo Lingard transferring, UM will be down to four scholarship tailbacks — likely starter Cam’Ron Harris (5.1 per carry, 576 yards), backup Robert Burns and freshmen Don Chaney Jr. and Jaylon Knighton competing for carries.

Chaney should immediately challenge for significant work, and Knighton could quickly emerge as the third-down back. Another back could be added among UM’s half dozen remaining roster slots.

Michael Parrott and tight end/H-back Larry Hodges are available as backfield blockers.

▪ Tight end: UM’s most talent-laden position next season, with Brevin Jordan, Will Mallory, Michael Irvin Jr., Brian Polendey and Hodges (who can also play H-back) all returning.

Polendey could be a transfer candidate — which would open up a roster spot — and newcomer Dominic Mammarelli could redshirt. With Jordan sidelined by injury, Mallory emerged in the final month after a disappointing start to the season.

▪ Receiver: This was the position where UM thought it would be much better than it actually was. Receivers struggled to gain separation even against Louisiana Tech, and part of that is the result of not running routes correctly.

KJ Osborn departs, and junior Jeff Thomas is turning pro but could go undrafted.

That leaves Mike Harley Jr., Dee Wiggins and Mark Pope as the projected starters, with Jeremiah Payton probably fourth but having a chance to crack the starting lineup if Wiggins and Pope don’t improve. None of the three experienced players has proven to be No. 1 receiver caliber, though all three improved to an extent.

Though the Canes are adding three skilled freshmen (Daz Worsham, Xavier Restrepo, Michael Redding), I wouldn’t be surprised to see a grad transfer added, because the room has had considerable attrition with Brian Hightower and Evidence Njoku transferring and Thomas and Osborn moving on to what they hope will be NFL careers.

Restrepo could emerge as an early option in the lot.

▪ Offensive line: Everyone should be back, but I’m not sure that’s a good thing. UM must hope that the returning five (Zion Nelson and DJ Scaife at tackle, Jakai Clark and Navaughn Donaldson at guard and Corey Gaynor at center) becomes collectively better or that

A) UM can convince a plug-and-play grad transfer to enroll, which will be a priority.

B) Freshman Jalen Rivers comes in ready to play right tackle, which would allow Scaife to move back to guard or

C) John Campbell, Cleveland Reed (who’s reportedly returning to the team) or Kai-Leon Herbert make appreciable improvements. Campbell played the most among the backups, and if he wins the right tackle job, Scaife also could could return to right guard in that scenario.

UM will aggressively try to add at least one grad transfer, with Stanford second-team All Pac 12 tackle Devery Hamilton and teammate Henry Hattis among players on Miami’s radar. Hamilton appears a long shot; Miami has had talks with Hattis.

Other grad transfer linemen available in the portal include Maryland four-year starting guard Terrance Davis and guard/tackle Ryan Johnson, who started for Tennessee in 2018 but was mostly a backup last season.

I would expect a thinning of the roster here, with Ousman Traore, Zalon’tae Hillery, Adam ElGammal and Zach Dykstra among underclassmen who need to show something in spring drills to have any chance of playing next season.

▪ Defensive end: Even with Jon Garvin leaving, UM is in decent shape with a top four of Greg Rousseau, Jahfari Harvey and Scott Patchan (granted another year of eligibility) and former elite UCLA recruit Jaelen Phillips (who sat out this year), plus redshirt freshman Cameron Williams (sat out for academic redshirt this past season) as well as three incoming freshmen, led by four-star Chantz Williams. Phillips will be relied on to rush the passer; the physical gifts are there but health is the issue.

▪ Defensive tackle: UM loses Pat Bethel and Chogozie Nnoruka, but Jon Ford and Nesta Silvera give the Canes two skilled starters, with Jordan Miller and three redshirt freshmen in reserve: Jalar Holley, Jared Harrison Hunte and Jason Blissett. UM coaches have raved about those three all year.

▪ Linebacker: The decision to redshirt Zach McCloud — at McCloud’s request — should pay dividends with the graduation of Shaq Quarterman and Michael Pinckney.

McCloud, Sam Brooks, Patrick Joyner Jr. (who can also play defensive end) and Bradley Jennings Jr. enter spring as favorites to be the top four linebacker spots, with Avery Huff competing after sitting out this season with an academic redshirt, and Waynmon Steed facing a recovery from knee issues. Jennings, Steed and Joyner come off significant injuries.

Brooks played well in the bowl game, aside from a costly late hit penalty. Two highly productive prep players (Tirek Austin-Cave and Corey Flagg Jr) could be immediate factors. Another freshman and potentially a grad transfer could be added.

▪ Cornerback: With Trajan Bandy turning pro, you’re looking at a top four of DJ Ivey, Al Blades Jr., T’Cory Couch and Christian Williams. Those will be the only four returning on scholarship.

Winter Park’s Marcus Clark and Hialeah Champagnat’s Jalen Harrell will push Couch and Williams. One more could be added in the coming months.

▪ Safety: This should be one of UM’s deepest positions, with Bubba Bolden, Gurvan Hall, Amari Carter, Keontra Smith and freshmen Brian Balom and Keyshawn Washington.

▪ Striker: Gil Frierson has first shot at the job, with Romeo Finley graduating. And Harrell is likely to get a look.

▪ Kicker: Miami is trying to add FIU’s Jose Borregalas as a grad transfer, and he’s considering UM. Special teams coach Jon Patke has said Miami will keep Bubba Baxa on scholarship despite his struggles, though he could always leave on his own. Camden Price remains available. And Miami has a solid 2021 kicker commitment in Hollywood Chaminade-Madonna’s Andres Borregales, Jose’s brother.
Good job but way too long

Advertisement
Back