Barry Jackson -update on the UM/Diaz situation later today.

Is Barry Hackson too lazy to do his own simple calculations to figure out that this doesn't cost anywhere near 50 million for Cristobal as his anonymous trustee claims?

Cristobal Buyout after Jan 2022: 6.5 million
Buyout of Diaz's 2 yrs remaining on contract: 8 million.
Cristobal Salary 6 mil (he's not worth 7 mil, IMO).

Total: 20 million up front.

As for the other 30 million: I assume the program planned on having a head coach going forward. If James's master plan had worked out and Diaz had succeeded this year, I guarantee he would have received a raise and extension at the end of the season, probably up to 5 million for another 5 years. So the difference between Mario at 6 mil and Diaz at 5 mil wouldn't be 30 million dollars. It would be 5 million. Even if Cristobal received 7 million, the difference is now 10 million over a 5 year span, not 30.

Advertisement
Is Barry Hackson too lazy to do his own simple calculations to figure out that this doesn't cost anywhere near 50 million for Cristobal as his anonymous trustee claims?

Cristobal Buyout after Jan 2022: 6.5 million
Buyout of Diaz's 2 yrs remaining on contract: 8 million.
Cristobal Salary 6 mil (he's not worth 7 mil, IMO).

Total: 20 million up front.

As for the other 30 million: I assume the program planned on having a head coach going forward. If James's master plan had worked out and Diaz had succeeded this year, I guarantee he would have received a raise and extension at the end of the season, probably up to 5 million for another 5 years. So the difference between Mario at 6 mil and Diaz at 5 mil wouldn't be 30 million dollars. It would be 5 million. Even if Cristobal received 7 million, the difference is now 10 million over a 5 year span, not 30.
Manny’s buyout isn’t $8m that’s absurd.

Manny’s buyout isn’t $8m that’s absurd.

Thats what Hackson was allegedly told by the trustee. 8 mil for the 2 years remaining. If true that means Diaz's salary is 4 million per year, which would be ludicrous. Cristobals salary when he was hired by Oregon was about 2.4 mil and he had 5+ years of HC experience. If Diaz got 4 million per year, Blake James is an even bigger f#cking idiot than I could have possibly imagined.

The reality of the situation is: Barry wrote in an article weeks ago that the administration didnt seem to be interested enough to make Miami a championship contender. However, he also stated, they wanted them to be a ranked team and win around nine games a season.

We havent won nine games in a hot minute. We are not even there. A move will come for sure.

I already did. Mirabal is coming, Ponce from App St as well. Field at minimum with be the RC or RD (whatever title Mario gives) and DVD will probably be out back in recruiting. T-Rob staying is probably gonna happen as well. I see it like this.

CO-OC/QB: Ponce
CO-OC/RB: Seider
WRs: TBD
TE: TBD
OL: Mirabal

DC/OLBs: Tim Deruyter

DL: Joe Salave’a or Kevin Patrick

ILBs: Ismael Aristide

Secondary: T-Rob

Open spot: TBD
that is incredibly specific... dont make me get hyped pls

Advertisement
Thats what Hackson was allegedly told by the trustee. 8 mil for the 2 years remaining. If true that means Diaz's salary is 4 million per year, which would be ludicrous. Cristobals salary when he was hired by Oregon was about 2.4 mil and he had 5+ years of HC experience. If Diaz got 4 million per year, Blake James is an even bigger f#cking idiot than I could have possibly imagined.
Manny’s buyout is the salary as a percentage of the years left for however many years remain. Possibly why he won’t be fired mid season. Two years left would equal 2/5 of his yearly salary times two, for the remaining two years on his contract. I was told that the day he was hired. It was literally my first question.

I already did. Mirabal is coming, Ponce from App St as well. Field at minimum with be the RC or RD (whatever title Mario gives) and DVD will probably be out back in recruiting. T-Rob staying is probably gonna happen as well. I see it like this.

CO-OC/QB: Ponce
CO-OC/RB: Seider
WRs: TBD
TE: TBD
OL: Mirabal

DC/OLBs: Tim Deruyter

DL: Joe Salave’a or Kevin Patrick

ILBs: Ismael Aristide

Secondary: T-Rob

Open spot: TBD

This is very specific. Really, really, really hoping you are right.

While that is true Northwestern just announced today that they raised $6.1 billion for their lastest campaign over the last 7 years. Northwestern has an average class size of just 2,000 students. They even mentioned that the Ryan family gave the largest gift at $480 million and the BOT accounted for $1.8 billion. About 58% of all gifts from alumni were $100 or less.

I’m sure some of these dudes on here have amassed fortunes of varying degree but how much and willingness to spend it on this - who knows. NYSOM and Kenneth bankrolling athletics would be a wild ride.
The bejeweled singlet line they launched really took off

Advertisement
Donations don’t always have to come from alumni…Ex.: how many people are on this site? How many of them are actual alumni?

Now the question.How many of the non-alumni would reach down in their pockets and pledge a couple hundred bucks for the next 5 years if it meant we could be prominent again?I’m gonna take a guess and say a minimum of 95%

Now how many season tickets holders we have? 30K ? Now the same question ? How many of them would be more than happy to pledge a minimum of 200 bucks a year to hire a coach that could turn this program around?

Let’s say 75% cause you probably have 20% that already donate so take them out if the equation.

That’s 22,500. X just 200 bucks a year.That’s 4.5 million dollars.There’s all the extra money you need to bring in a top notch coach and staff. 4.5 million without a donation of more than 200 bucks.I’m pretty sure you would get a lot of pledges for much more than 200 bucks but you see how easy that is.

Again raising money to pay for a coach and a staff,as long as that money went to an actual good coach and great staff , should never be an issue.
I totally agree… my only point is they have the built in captive audience. Candidly, from what I have read about Blake, it seems like a way for him to consolidate power and have leverage.

1. Manny is on the hot seat , he needs to finish strong to save his job, that’s very unlikely.
2. Blake is on the hot seat with important people, some BOT’s like him because he’s a good fundraiser ( some disagree).
3. Mario is the guy big money wants , Alonzo is also a want
4. He is right Frenk doesn’t care about sports.
5. Everything else is drivel he’s regurgitated from others. Feldman literally said alot of that in his piece. Miami has multiple people willing to spend.

If people want to believe him that’s good on them. It’s a free country Lol.
If the Prez of the university don’t gaf about our sports programs, then we **** sure need to have an AD that does. Get BJ the **** out of here.

While that is true Northwestern just announced today that they raised $6.1 billion for their lastest campaign over the last 7 years. Northwestern has an average class size of just 2,000 students. They even mentioned that the Ryan family gave the largest gift at $480 million and the BOT accounted for $1.8 billion. About 58% of all gifts from alumni were $100 or less.
It is doable, but Northwestern also has some of the wealthiest alumni in the country in an old money city. It is a GREAT school. What I can tell you is Julio Frenk isn’t motivating people to cut those checks.

Advertisement
Personal attacks
Fvck your banners.

The idea that getting blown out on national television isn't embarrassing enough to make termination decisions, but that a banner or billboard truck will do it, is asinine.

At best, and historically at UM, banners have only played a (minimal) role in getting people fired. Banners have played no role in getting the right people hired. That's the logical disconnect. Fire the corch, new corch hired. Fire the AD, well, now you are getting closer to the root problem. But you are asking largely the same group of people (i.e., the BOT and doners) who hired Blake to hire a new AD. Good luck with that.

And as an alumni, The University of Miami will always be greater than the University of Miami football program. Even assuming a banner is good for the program (there is no evidence of that), it's a bad look for the University.

So, yeah, fvck your banners.
200 (2).gif

Advertisement
You guys think that NOW our BOTs are suddenly inspired to go BIG TIME in football. Will make the changes that need to be done to become annual national championship contenders? Will pay the Big Bucks it will take to get a winning coach?

ALL RIGHT!!

Y'all think that this is the 1st time that they have faced this situation? That they'll suddenly open the spigots and start making SEC, Big10, PAC12 types of investments in sports.

ALL RIGHT!!

That this time our fed up fans will finally dig deep into their pockets and start contributing annually?

ALL RIGHT!!

So old ingrained habits of Codgers that actually have no stake in whether or not this is successful because it does not affect their positions is now a thing of the past. They will realize and accept that sports will lead Miami to greatness!

ALL RIGHT!!!

So I guess this really is a new day!! This new Fast & Furious movie sequel my kids are dragging me to really will be different!!

All I'm saying from experience....it's always best to keep your expectations of others low or very modest. Anything else most often leads to disappointment.

Last edited:
You guys think that NOW our BOTs are suddenly inspired to go BIG TIME in football. Will make the changes that need to be done to become annual national championship contenders? Will pay the Big Bucks it will take to get a winning coach?

ALL RIGHT!!

Y'all think that this is the 1st time that they have faced this situation? That they'll suddenly open the spigots and start making SEC, Big10, PAC12 types of investments in sports.

ALL RIGHT!!

That this time our fed up fans will finally dig deep into their pockets and start contributing annually?

ALL RIGHT!!

So old ingrained habits of Codgers that actually have no stake in whether or not this is successful because it does not affect their positions is now a thing of the past. They will realize and accept that sports will lead Miami to greatness!

ALL RIGHT!!!

So I guess this really is a new day!! This new Fast & Furious movie sequel my kids are dragging me to really will be different!!

All I'm saying from experience....it's always best to keep your expectations of others low or very modest. Anything else most often leads to disappointment.
No one is saying definitively changes are happening

But using your same reasoning of history as a predictor, this team will more likely fold than rally

Therefore assuming they fold, then the heat will turn up to levels of flying banners, poor attendance and national media crapping on Miami. Things will turn toxic until they have no choice

We’ve seen this with Coker Randy and Fat Al… we know what this looks like

Advertisement
Back