Barry Jackson of the Herald 2-8 Re. Defense & Manny Diaz

I wouldn't say that because all of those teams still had elite defense/offense and good O-line/ running games. We had neither. We could not stop anyone on 3rd down and we could not convert 3rd downs. It didn't matter if it was 3rd and short or 3rd and long.
Switch Mayfield with Rosier and I’m almost certain our offense would be a lot with the weapons we have. With a better QB 3rd down problems improve, and teams respect the pass more opening up the run game . Malik wasn’t scaring anybody on 3rd down .

Advertisement
I think you guys are taking what he said out of context because you hate the guy. I think what he meant was kids see our 3 game losing streak and how we bottomed out at the end of the season including being blown out in two of those games (Clemson/Wisconsin) and they compare that to Bama (in the national title picture every year) and UGA (took Kirby two years to get them to the title game) and decide to go with the time that will get them the best chance to win a national title. Obviously we are not Bama and we are not UGA right now. Hopefully we will be in the next few years.
Exactly blind losers who hate someone so much they pile on.
I wouldn't say that because all of those teams still had elite defense/offense and good O-line/ running games. We had neither. We could not stop anyone on 3rd down and we could not convert 3rd downs. It didn't matter if it was 3rd and short or 3rd and long.
Exactly my point, we are mediocre when teams like Pitt who brings back the same quarterback. I really want Mark Richt to stop being so soft and just be fiery. I'll take a Steve Kerr type of coach.

Didn't do a good enough job convincing them they will a NC here.

Schnellenberger had a much tougher pitch when he convinced Bratton and Highsmith and those salt of the earth heroes to play here when they could have gone anywhere. He convinced those guys that if they all played for their home they'd win a NC here.
Yep.

Recruiting is a sales pitch. Selling the kid that he’s the difference, that it will happen with him, that it’s a bigger opportunity, that being the kid who brought success back to the hometown would make him a legend in Miami, a hero to his town forever, and give him something no amount of money can buy.

Not a Diaz fan.

It’s not so much losing the corners that irks me. It happens once in a while, but the ****-poor DL planning gets me. The whole Chatman recruitment was idiotic, and then Briggs. The kid was always going to FSU. He was a dorky guy...not going to fit in with our locker room—ESPECIALLY Ford, Willis, and Silvera. We needed bodies on the DL and there was plenty of time to find similarly talented kids who would come. I blame Kool to an extent but really Diaz and Richt fot letting that happen.

The Asante Samuel situation was just inexplicable too.

Last edited:
Advertisement
For everyone saying we need to win more to compete for recruits with Bama/GA/Clemson, do you all realize Texas went 7-6 and finished 3rd in recruiting??? They Did it with a coach who’s in his 2nd year and tries to make out with all his players. They did it by locking DOWN their state and keeping elite talent home. You think Bama and GA weren’t trying to recruit their players?? How about OU who is in their conference and went to the playoffs??

It’s not just the AH2 that we lost out on, but we have a huge deficit on DL and lost out on recruits to FSU!! Recruiting is about selling the vision of the future, not what has happened in the past. This class should have been about closing the gap on the elite teams, yet after the early signing period we allowed FSU and UF to close the gap on us with coaches who were just hired.

Yes we had our highest ranked class, but considering the success we had this year with 2 huge night home wins, signing 19 great players early, we should have closed MUCH better and addressed huge needs we had on DL and CB, particularly with the players we will loss next season. We can stick our head in the sand and act like there isn’t an issue recruiting on the defensive side and everything is fine, but Hopefully Richt is not doing that and is making adjustments to fix that next season.

Didn't do a good enough job convincing them they will a NC here.

Schnellenberger had a much tougher pitch when he convinced Bratton and Highsmith and those salt of the earth heroes to play here when they could have gone anywhere. He convinced those guys that if they all played for their home they'd win a NC here.

And guys back then weren't soft as Charmin either.

TC bought Kirby Racist BS hook, line and sinker. Straight up pulled a Tommy Gunn on the man that made him the top prospect he was.

Also wouldn't be surprised of the **** Kirby used against Richt. Or Pony Michel for that matter.

Rumph isn't without fault but this **** of beating the man to death on these boards is BS.

You got guys acting like Rumph decides who gets an offer. It is on Richt at the end of the day for missing on Asante. The best cover corner was ignored. When he should be on the roster right now.

No DB coach with 1 year college exp coming into the past cycle. Is telling a vet HC who and who isn't getting an offer.

If Richt is deferring to that wannabe DC on defensive recruits. Then that will be his end before too long.

It wasn't just Rumph that missed. Richt and Diaz are suppose to be the heavy hitters that close the sale.

And guys back then weren't soft as Charmin either.

TC bought Kirby Racist BS hook, line and sinker. Straight up pulled a Tommy Gunn on the man that made him the top prospect he was.

Also wouldn't be surprised of the **** Kirby used against Richt. Or Pony Michel for that matter.

Rumph isn't without fault but this **** of beating the man to death on these boards is BS.

You got guys acting like Rumph decides who gets an offer. It is on Richt at the end of the day for missing on Asante. The best cover corner was ignored. When he should be on the roster right now.

No DB coach with 1 year college exp coming into the past cycle. Is telling a vet HC who and who isn't getting an offer.

If Richt is deferring to that wannabe DC on defensive recruits. Then that will be his end before too long.

It wasn't just Rumph that missed. Richt and Diaz are suppose to be the heavy hitters that close the sale.
I heard that scumbag Phony Michel was back in South Florida shortly after his season ended with an L. Yet dummies like Campbell are going to listen to scum like Michel about how great Athens is.

I’m no fan of Rumph’s horrific recruiting, but who knows what's going on at UGA. Word is they’re bagging harder than Alabaga.

I’m pretty sure Rumph and Diaz are the guys who decide who gets defensive offers pretty much 100% of the time when it comes to the defensive backfield. Don’t know how much input Banda has. Probably not much.

To think Rick has anything more than a veto role or a ten-thousand foot overview role is retarded.

It’s Manny’s defense to run. Sink or swim, it’s 100% on him, as it should be. That’s why Patke’s there, imo, to be a defensive recruiting hustler. Especially on the line and with LBs, and I guess he might even help Banda with DBs. Just leave Rumph as the mad scientist back in the lab.

Advertisement
“We pushed as hard as we could,” Rumph said. “The kids aren’t the same as they used to be, man. … The game has totally changed. Kids want to go where they think they’ll have the best opportunity to win.”

One of the things that **** me off about that statement is that if TC and PS2 decided to come here, THEY WILL WIN.
I would like to think these top kids are competitive enough to believe that they can make the difference in a program, and not just follow the sheep to the Bama's of the word.

DAM IT!!!

Not a Diaz fan.

It’s not so much losing the corners that irks me. It happens once in a while, but the ****-poor DL planning gets me. The whole Chatman recruitment was idiotic, and then Briggs. The kid was always going to FSU. He was a dorky guy...not going to fit in with our locker room—ESPECIALLY Ford, Willis, and Silvera. We needed bodies on the DL and there was plenty of time to find similarly talented kids who would come. I blame Kool to an extent but really Diaz and Richt fot letting that happen.

The Asante Samuel situation was just inexplicable too.

What really surprises and annoys me is the way our coaches were seemingly taken off guard by our two DTs who went pro. All the articles I've read pointed to the coaches not expecting them to leave. Put that into the context of that being a heavily discussed topic on this board a year ago with most people believing they would leave and it's really hard to understand how the coaches didn't plan for this scenario.

Advertisement
I’m pretty sure Rumph and Diaz are the guys who decide who gets defensive offers pretty much 100% of the time when it comes to the defensive backfield. Don’t know how much input Banda has. Probably not much.

To think Rick has anything more than a veto role or a ten-thousand foot overview role is retarded.

It’s Manny’s defense to run. Sink or swim, it’s 100% on him, as it should be. That’s why Patke’s there, imo, to be a defensive recruiting hustler. Especially on the line and with LBs, and I guess he might even help Banda with DBs. Just leave Rumph as the mad scientist back in the lab.

It's pretty clear that Diaz has almost complete autonomy on how he runs the defense and that includes recruiting. When I compare the way offensive recruiting has shaken out and the seemingly excellent organization we have on that side of the ball recruiting wise it makes me question if Diaz is ready to have as much control as he does. Hopefully next year we will see the defense recruit in a more organized way.

For everyone saying we need to win more to compete for recruits with Bama/GA/Clemson, do you all realize Texas went 7-6 and finished 3rd in recruiting??? They Did it with a coach who’s in his 2nd year and tries to make out with all his players. They did it by locking DOWN their state and keeping elite talent home. You think Bama and GA weren’t trying to recruit their players?? How about OU who is in their conference and went to the playoffs??

It’s not just the AH2 that we lost out on, but we have a huge deficit on DL and lost out on recruits to FSU!! Recruiting is about selling the vision of the future, not what has happened in the past. This class should have been about closing the gap on the elite teams, yet after the early signing period we allowed FSU and UF to close the gap on us with coaches who were just hired.

Yes we had our highest ranked class, but considering the success we had this year with 2 huge night home wins, signing 19 great players early, we should have closed MUCH better and addressed huge needs we had on DL and CB, particularly with the players we will loss next season. We can stick our head in the sand and act like there isn’t an issue recruiting on the defensive side and everything is fine, but Hopefully Richt is not doing that and is making adjustments to fix that next season.

Herman got the first year bounce that the majority of new coaches get. If he loses 6 games again next year, he will get dominated by Jimbo.

Advertisement
Herman got the first year bounce that the majority of new coaches get. If he loses 6 games again next year, he will get dominated by Jimbo.

So by that logic we should just concede that Slick Willie and Mullet are going to have a better recruiting class next year than UM??

Listen Im not saying coaches need to be fired and I don’t love the players we did get, but the recruiting by Kool and Rumph needs to improve quickly if we want to get back to competing for NC every year (which should be the standard at UM). Not anticipating/planning for the attrition we were going to have at DL over the two years is unacceptable. I love the U and CMR. He’s the right dude for the job. I want them to succeed. As I said earlier I hope he’s identifying these shortcomings and addressing them now.

So by that logic we should just concede that Slick Willie and Mullet are going to have a better recruiting class next year than UM??

Listen Im not saying coaches need to be fired and I don’t love the players we did get, but the recruiting by Kool and Rumph needs to improve quickly if we want to get back to competing for NC every year (which should be the standard at UM). Not anticipating/planning for the attrition we were going to have at DL over the two years is unacceptable. I love the U and CMR. He’s the right dude for the job. I want them to succeed. As I said earlier I hope he’s identifying these shortcomings and addressing them now.

It’s getting really old having to address these idiotic posts where morons like you draw conclusions based on faulty logic, and then go on to bloviate as if people care about your monologue.

nobody ever said that Mullen and Willie are going to have a better class than miami this year. Not sure how you came up with that “logic.” You’re just looking for something to argue about.

It’s getting really old having to address these idiotic posts where morons like you draw conclusions based on faulty logic, and then go on to bloviate as if people care about your monologue.

nobody ever said that Mullen and Willie are going to have a better class than miami this year. Not sure how you came up with that “logic.” You’re just looking for something to argue about.

“Morons”??? Really dude?? You commented on my post and I mistakenly took that as you were looking to have a civilized discussion. My bad! However, If you can’t follow the logical conclusion of your own original faulty statement then there is nothing I can do for you.

Furthermore, you do realize that the whole purpose of this message board is for “morons”, you and me included, to come on here and bloviate? Or do you think people only come on here to read whatever intellectual brilliance you post next??? Relax dude, take a chill, you don’t have to be a keyboard cowboy and “address” anything.

Advertisement
Back