Barry Jackson of the Herald 2-8 Re. Defense & Manny Diaz

Advertisement
“kids want to go where they think they’ll have the beat opportunity to win”. yikes

It's the truth though, kids have no toughness and grind to them like in the past. They want it easy. We lost out to the CFB Champions and the CFB runner-ups...no shame in that, even though it's not good. If we lost these kids to UF or FSU, that would be a real red flag. Kids are fickle these days. We need to keep winning big, only way back.

If there was ever any doubt, this interview dispelled it. He can’t sell the program.

Here’s how the quote should have read: “We pushed as hard as we could,” Rumph said. “The kids aren’t the same as they used to be, man. … The game has totally changed. Kids want to go where they think they’ll have the best opportunity to win, and I assured them that we are just a couple of players away from NC level and that’s why we needed them. Nobody can tell me that we’re not just inches away from that. I should’ve done a better job in convincing them of that. Because I know we are on the cusp of championship football.

The part in bold is what I added. What he should have said, and what a confident self-assured salesman would say, as he accepts responsibility for a sales failure.

Rumph either needs some sales 101 remediation stat or needs to be taken off recruiting immediately.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If Rick isn’t going to fire Trumph then he, at the very least, needs to put a gag order on him. Don’t let him ever again talk to the media or use social media or talk to recruits. If he’s here as some sort of CB coaching savant, as CIS has declared him, then let him sit in the science lab all day scheming and teaching.

“kids want to go where they think they’ll have the beat opportunity to win”. yikes

That’s an Al Golden level quote right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rumph's gotten loser written all over him, so he basically couldn't convince them that we are very very close. It also doesn't help losing your last three games, especially the game to a bad Pitt team.

The kids are right, in the short term Alabama has a better chance to win than we do, GA Possibly but questionable. At what point does Rumph become more of a liability, doesn't matter if it's true or not. I'd imagine they give him one more year even if he can coach he has to be able to recruit the best like other position coaches. Bottom line the cream of the crop rises to the top, so you have to have the best kids to win. JMO

Al Blades is a really good corner. I guess people forgot. He's the fifth best in the state and 8th best in the country. We lost out on 2 cb's who went to schools that were in the national championship game. Its really not as dire as it looks. The more we win the more of these guys we'll close on. We weren't even a second tier last year as OSU would have kicked our *** and Clemson did.

We've got to stop imagining these kids really care about the Canes returning to the top. Some will and we'll have an unfair advantage over every team in America in getting them (Nesta, JJ, etc) but most won't and in their eyes its about them. Is that wrong?

Give the kids we signed a chance. Trajan Bandy was a pleasant surprise last year. And we've already gotten a verbal from the #21 DL in next years class. Another 300 pounder.

Advertisement
Some people are cut out to be salesmen, some aren’t.

Those that aren’t have to work really hard to overcome their personality limitations. It’s pretty clear to me Rumph has those limitations.

Based on results, and on Rick not being an idiot, this has become all too obvious to Rick now. My expectation is that he is addressing this behind the scenes. Short of firing Rumph, my guess would be downloading a lot of the “selling” responsibilities to others and just having Rumoh available as a subject matter expert and to stoke the relationship fires as the “cool laid back guy” that doesn’t put pressure on you. But leave the day to day relationship and selling to someone else.

I’m not saying that’s how it’s definitely being handled, just one possibility.

In any event, it is up to Rick to address this weakness because we need strong recruiting in South Florida with all the defensive back talent that will be available over the next few years.

Advertisement
Again.. the reasons TC and Surtain gave for not committing here are just as big of a problem as them not committing. It creates an image problem for Rumph. Gives douchers like slick Willie and the moron running ufag a chance to say "if Rumphs former players dont think he can coach them to where they need to be, why should u"?

Excellent point that hasn't been emphasized enough. No one knows Rumph better than Campbell & Surtain, yet they chose to play for coaches they trusted more with their development. Campbell's quote about why he chose UGA told the entire story.

We finished no better than third for these guys Rumph has had longstanding relationships with. Good luck convincing Dent, Stevenson, and other premier CBs to stay home now when we're once again battling the big boys.

We don't want pussies that want to go to bama, we want ruthless savages that want to WHIP bama. That's what he should have said.

I like this too. Actually like it better than mine. But that thought would never occur to him, and that’s my point. Nice guy. Just not built for the recruiting game.

Advertisement
"In order to be the best you have to beat the current best teams and that's the kind of mentality in the kids I want here and we got those kids this year."

Probably what should have been said.

I think you guys are taking what he said out of context because you hate the guy. I think what he meant was kids see our 3 game losing streak and how we bottomed out at the end of the season including being blown out in two of those games (Clemson/Wisconsin) and they compare that to Bama (in the national title picture every year) and UGA (took Kirby two years to get them to the title game) and decide to go with the time that will get them the best chance to win a national title. Obviously we are not Bama and we are not UGA right now. Hopefully we will be in the next few years.

Advertisement
Back