Barry Jackson notes

I seriously question the thought process for some Canes fans. This reminds me of a debate a while back when Vernon and Miller's class left after Golden's first year as the topic of debate I believed centered around guys like Marcus Forston whom could've used another year to improve draft stock - Yearby may not be able to do that. Forston subsequently didn't get drafted and was a practice squad guy for a couple of years. The Canes fans who didn't focus on the long term focused on the fact that he was merely collecting NFL checks - even though practice squad checks don't equate to a rather high income to what his potential would've been.

My view - I doubt Yearby gets drafted next year and he's probably a 50/50 shot to be on a practice squad at this juncture. The only other option is to finish out his degree and see where life takes him after his senior year. Not all football players need to go to the NFL just because they have kids.

RB is a different beast. Every year undrafted RBs make rosters. Most teams go by committee because there aren't that many elite guys to go around. (maybe 5 or 6 elite backs) who you want the ball in their hands as much as possible. Yearly might see the writing on the wall and take his chance now and he'd probably be better off even if he doesn't get drafted.

Advertisement
if Corn Elder is not a top ten corner than this must be the deepest cornerback class in the history of college football

Beyond being just a CB, he's a pure football player with speed and versatility. Yeah, he's not big but sometimes you just have to watch the tape and trust your eyes. Dont over-complicate this process with Elder

I seriously question the thought process for some Canes fans. This reminds me of a debate a while back when Vernon and Miller's class left after Golden's first year as the topic of debate I believed centered around guys like Marcus Forston whom could've used another year to improve draft stock - Yearby may not be able to do that. Forston subsequently didn't get drafted and was a practice squad guy for a couple of years. The Canes fans who didn't focus on the long term focused on the fact that he was merely collecting NFL checks - even though practice squad checks don't equate to a rather high income to what his potential would've been.

My view - I doubt Yearby gets drafted next year and he's probably a 50/50 shot to be on a practice squad at this juncture. The only other option is to finish out his degree and see where life takes him after his senior year. Not all football players need to go to the NFL just because they have kids.

RB is a different beast. Every year undrafted RBs make rosters. Most teams go by committee because there aren't that many elite guys to go around. (maybe 5 or 6 elite backs) who you want the ball in their hands as much as possible. Yearly might see the writing on the wall and take his chance now and he'd probably be better off even if he doesn't get drafted.

I disagree. There's a lot of RBs that attempt to go in the draft that just don't pan out. At least Yearby can get his degree then give it a shot, if it doesn't work out, he's got his degree. In no scenario, even with the one you've pointed out does it help for a player to leave early if they're not going to get drafted. Also, this is by far the deepest draft with RBs that I can remember considering you have Fornette, Cook and Chubb all likely going to be in the draft.

Everyone saying there definitely isn't 10 cbs better than Corn should be aware that this is one of the deepest CB/Safety drafts there's been in quite a while. However just because there might be 10 cbs rated ahead of Corn doesn't mean he won't be a 3rd rounder which is where I'd expect him to be drafted.
Some CBs that are likely to be drafted ahead of him: Quincy Wilson, Jalen Tabor, Jourdan Lewis, Desmond King, Tre'Davious White, Those tOSU CB's, Adoree Jackson.
Again, this is a deep CB draft. Corn will get drafted relatively early, but he for sure will be knocked pre-draft for his size.

I disagree. There's a lot of RBs that attempt to go in the draft that just don't pan out. At least Yearby can get his degree then give it a shot, if it doesn't work out, he's got his degree. In no scenario, even with the one you've pointed out does it help for a player to leave early if they're not going to get drafted. Also, this is by far the deepest draft with RBs that I can remember considering you have Fornette, Cook and Chubb all likely going to be in the draft.

No chance in **** Yearby leaves early in this draft. Its totally possible theres 4 1st round RBs (not likely, but definitely possible). Fournette, Cook, McCaffrey, Foreman (Texas RB with over1800yds), **** Joe Mixon would definitely be a 1st round RB if he didn't have so many off the field issues. Then there's guys like Royce Freeman, Nick Chubb, Wayne Gallman, Perine, Elijah Hood, and more. This is such a deep RB class, Yearby would be a fool to leave early.

Advertisement
Or the sports pundits are talking out their behinds like they often do, but yeah no way Corn is out of the top ten.

if Corn Elder is not a top ten corner than this must be the deepest cornerback class in the history of college football

Beyond being just a CB, he's a pure football player with speed and versatility. Yeah, he's not big but sometimes you just have to watch the tape and trust your eyes. Dont over-complicate this process with Elder

I just gotta laugh at the talk about Yearby leaving early. He wouldn't be drafted even. He needs to stay and maybe he will have a chance then. And I don't think him leaving would hurt us really as he is the 4th best back IMO on the team now and that doesn't include who we would add with recruiting. Walton is on another level from everyone else but Yearby should use that as motivation to work harder then he has ever worked.

Only on a UM board are a bunch of guys suggesting an important backup, who likely won't even get drafted, should declare early for the draft.

Only here is right.

Dude is one hit away from getting 20+ carries a game, but genius porsters on here want him to declare early so he can be an UDFA and possibly not even catch on with a team. Instead of staying and trying to get better and maybe earn some more playing time, maybe improve his draft stock and at least get his degree.

Genius move.

Fans like you discount the role chemistry plays in the success of a team. You also downplay the process of breaking old habits and creating new ones.

Games are not always decided by talent. It's why upsets exist. Clemson has more talent than Pitt, but Pitt won the game. Clemson has more future pros than Pitt, but that didn't decide the game.

Ohio State has been recruiting at an elite level for a decade, plus. The fact that they are "young" is becaus they lose juniors on a regular basis.

We haven't recruited close to their level, so I have no clue why you are using them to make your point about youth.

I love the Canes. But articles like this point out how delusional some in our fan base are.

The NFL scouts are telling us how talented this team is, based on the guys they want in their league.

Everybody eligible to return to school should do so. It's the best decision for their draft stock and for the program.

The NFL guys like McShay and Kiper? Or the actual NFL guys from the Bears who are thinking of making Kaaya a millionaire? Or the NFL guys who loaded up on UM players that guys like you sold short from Folden's 6-7 team?

These guys are only discussing the junior and senior classes. Keep in mind also that there is more talent on a team than that which is currently in the junior and senior classes. In fact, a team like Ohio Taint is on the verge of the playoff with the youngest team in college football.

Inaccurate representation of my posting history. If anything, I've traditionally given our guys more credit than they deserved.

But to the point of NFL feedback, nothing is 100%. If it were an exact science, Dak Prescott would be playing for the Rams right now.

And Ohio State has multiple kids who will be drafted, for certain, in the first 2 rounds of the NFL draft in 2017. And those kids are backed up by kids who will be drafted.

Miami's issue is that we don't have future NFL players backed up by future NFL players. Teams in contention for the playoffs have that.

How do you know we don't have future NFL players on our roster? You tried to use this article to support your idea that fans are overhyping the talent on our team. But the article only deals with junior and senior talent. Now you're ignoring the article to claim that Ohio State is loaded with underclassmen talent not recognized by that article.

We've got enough talent to be better than 7-4 with the **** schedule we played. That's pretty much all anyone who claims we have good talent has said.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back