Barry Jackson notes and mike rumph thoughts on the corner depth

Advertisement
With the early reports of spring practice that were happening, Taking a receiver doesn’t exactly seem necessary. Let’s let these receivers thrive and give them an opportunity for extended playing time . I remember when people wanted to write off players on the defensive side of the ball who played in Donofrio scheme but yet when they moved to diaz scheme those players immediately produced. Same sh*t will happen in this new offensive system and with lashlee calling plays.

Just stating what I was told leading into the spring, they didn’t feel comfortable with a number one wr. The younger guys coming in and looking good could have changed that. I do know pope was still a mess , dropping balls and being lost at times. Maybe Payton is the guy, not sure . Harley was having his best spring but I don’t know if he’s a front line go to, more of a slot. I wouldn’t be shocked if all three of the pups are playing.

It sucks spring was cut short , that was going to help on the decision with the ol or wr. Now with no spring we don’t know where we stand with both. I will say the ol looked a tad better but was still shaky as ****.

Quick question...why do you think we have/had to take 3 grad transfer corners?.
Because the roster numbers at cb have been low since they have been here even at the beginning. Before Colbert they had 4 corners, with a number of them not having much experience.

elder
Redwine
Colbert
Jackson
Malek Young

That was all of the corners we had that year
You lost 2 to the draft and one switched a position to safety leaving you with just 2 corners(1 who had basically no experience and another one a rising sophomore).

of course they took another grad transfer and juco transfer to try and build depth. It helps that year but inevitably hurts the years after instead of taking a traditional freshman player

Just stating what I was told leading into the spring, they didn’t feel comfortable with a number one wr. The younger guys coming in and looking good could have changed that. I do know pope was still a mess , dropping balls and being lost at times. Maybe Payton is the guy, not sure . Harley was having his best spring but I don’t know if he’s a front line go to, more of a slot. I wouldn’t be shocked if all three of the pups are playing.

It sucks spring was cut short , that was going to help on the decision with the ol or wr. Now with no spring we don’t know where we stand with both. I will say the ol looked a tad better but was still shaky as ****.
Pope made plays too during the first week especially the last day at practice. Payton had the drops on one of those days as did pope. It happens. I dont Think anyone expected the freshman receivers to look like what they apparently looked like that week plus you also will have micheal Redding a physical specimen who will be fully ready this fall as well

Advertisement
Pope made plays too during the first week especially the last day at practice. Payton had the drops on one of those days as did pope. It happens. I dont Think anyone expected the freshman receivers to look like what they apparently looked like that week plus you also will have micheal Redding a physical specimen who will be fully ready this fall as well

Pope has been a drop machine in spring and his entire time here. All the talk about him having trouble picking up playbooks is true , he’s always lost and that’s why his pt is always down. Hence him always reaching out to schools to transfer.

This is it for him, time to crap or get off the pot. If he can’t learn this playbook it’s a wrap. If not how he’s going to get passed by the kids and he’ll be back dm’ing UF’s coaches.

Pope has been a drop machine in spring and his entire time here. All the talk about him having trouble picking up playbooks is true , he’s always lost and that’s why his pt is always down. Teammates were always having to help him out on game day , which made coaches lose confidence in him. Hence him always reaching out to schools to transfer.

This is it for him, time to crap or get off the pot. If he can’t learn this playbook it’s a wrap. If not how he’s going to get passed by the kids and he’ll be back dm’ing UF’s coaches.
Saying he has been a drop machine is getting ridiculous. So has harley and Wiggins, don’t see that criticism from you about that in their game and they have dropped way more passes than pope in games the last 2 years. In fact last season pope had one of the best catch rates on the team in his numbers of receptions . Plus players improve you know

No need to act like pope is the first player ever to not know his plays, plenty of talented players have had that issue and overcame that. I still Have faith pope gets it done, he’s a hard worker he just needs the in game opportunities.

Last edited:
Advertisement
No need to act like pope is the first player ever to not know his plays, plenty of talented players have had that issue and overcame that. I still Have faith pope gets it done, he’s a hard worker he just needs the in game opportunities.

He was very highly rated so I expect more. Especially with all the hype.

If he can’t get on the field more this year with this simple *** playbook it’ll tell you everything.

It’s actually sad he has hands and playbook issues because his route running is top shelf. Unreal out of his breaks.

But catching the ball and knowing the plays are higher on the food chain.

Sink or swim time.

Why is Ivey there?
Looked very good in a stretch of games pitt, FSU and vs Louisville. I dont Think he’s some talentless player, he just needs to focus more and play more attentive. It’s something there imo. Not denying he had some terrible games last season(I’ve said as much countless of times) but he’s not the first player that has happened to.

Looked very good in a stretch of games pitt, FSU and vs Louisville. I dont Think he’s some talentless players, he just needs more focus and play more attentive

Not tough to look good against FSU when their QBs are face down in the grass after 1.2 seconds
UL? Debatable

Advertisement
Last spot needs to go to the OL but wasn’t Miami getting an additional spot for Aaa Martin leaving last year? Also, if Moise doesn’t qualify Miami would have 3 spots available. Correct me if I’m wrong.

When’s it’s all said and done I think Ivey will be a stud, I know that’s not popular on here .. but he was a true soph who got his first significant playing time .. he flashed, think he has a high ceiling. I think he’ll be a Mike Jackson type .. not a Carlos Armour type like most believe.

True, hopefully they do. Ivey was bad in some games for sure however in a few he did look good so if he plays with more confidence and a sense of urgency then maybe he will be alright
What's encouraging is Ivey has been working on his footwork with my boy Scottie since this whole quarantine shutdown, so hopefully he'll have a big jump this year.

I wanted us to get Meiko Dotson because he was a highly productive Ballhawk that lead the nation in INT's last year but it seems like he decided to stay at FAU & with everything shutdown any kind of transfers are probably not going to happen.

My stance on the CB group has beem from the start I love Alphonso Jr as CB1, love Couch & Williams upside but concerned about Ivey as the shoo-in starter at CB2 & the overall inexperience we have as a group.

Losing those Spring reps sucks, I hope we can get things back to normal for Summer workouts & Fall camp.

If/when everything gets back to normal I think the final scholly will go to either an OT, LB or WR.

Advertisement
What's encouraging is Ivey has been working on his footwork with my boy Scottie since this whole quarantine shutdown, so hopefully he'll have a big jump this year.

I wanted us to get Meiko Dotson because he was a highly productive Ballhawk that lead the nation in INT's last year but it seems like he decided to stay at FAU & with everything shutdown any kind of transfers are probably not going to happen.

My stance on the CB group has beem from the start I love Alphonso Jr as CB1, love Couch & Williams upside but concerned about Ivey as the shoo-in starter at CB2 & the overall inexperience we have as a group.

Losing those Spring reps sucks, I hope we can get things back to normal for Summer workouts & Fall camp.

If/when everything gets back to normal I think the final scholly will go to either an OT, LB or WR.
I saw Dotson took a visit with fsu before the the shutdown a few weeks back.

When’s it’s all said and done I think Ivey will be a stud, I know that’s not popular on here .. but he was a true soph who got his first significant playing time .. he flashed, think he has a high ceiling. I think he’ll be a Mike Jackson type .. not a Carlos Armour type like most believe.
Fact of the matter is all of the returning dbs should have a jump in their game. Jaquan johnson, redwine, Michael jackson all saw it in their 3rd years. And majority of the dbs in the two deep have played far more ball than those 3 did in their first 2 years at Miami.

Because the roster numbers at cb have been low since they have been here even at the beginning. Before Colbert they had 4 corners, with a number of them not having much experience.

elder
Redwine
Colbert
Jackson
Malek Young

That was all of the corners we had that year
You lost 2 to the draft and one switched a position to safety leaving you with just 2 corners(1 who had basically no experience and another one a rising sophomore).

of course they took another grad transfer and juco transfer to try and build depth. It helps that year but inevitably hurts the years after instead of taking a traditional freshman player

NOPE..Because of his misses at CB. Malek Young been gone 2 years now...Bandy isnt even an early surprise draft entry.

Advertisement
Back