Barry Jackson notes and mike rumph thoughts on the corner depth

brock

All-American

With only four scholarship corners in his room this spring — and freshmen Isaiah Dunson and Marcus Clarke enrolling in the coming months — has Rumph lobbied Diaz to use UM’s last available scholarship on a grad transfer cornerback?

Rumph said he has not. Even though the group is generally inexperienced — beyond Ivey and Blades — Rumph said: “I like what I have. It’s a good amount of depth. This is one of the best groups of corners I’ve had since I’ve been at UM. All these kids can contribute this year; they have a good skill set and hungry to learn and fit into what we’re doing. We’ve always been able to play a bunch of freshmen at Miami, and that trend will continue. These kids will have an opportunity to play.”

Rumph sees all six in position to become quality Atlantic Coast Conference corner

@Liberty City El
Christian Williams and tecory seem to be making a jump as expected as well. I agree with rumph assessment and have said that in the past this would be the best cb group talent wise Miami has had in a minute

Advertisement
Advertisement
definitely need a grad transfer OT before another cb. Not even close really

I'm not sure about that. I think the top end talent is better at CB, but overall depth is worse at CB.

Once the TFs get in, we'll have 6 scholarship CBs (one being a major project in Clarke).

At OT, we've got 6-7 guys between Nelson, Scaife, Campbell, Washington (another project), and Rivers (some will call him an OG, but Rivers has the feet to play RT). Washington and Rivers are already here, whatever that is worth in the COVID-19 world. Plus ElGammal (he played OT in HS, but is still, at best, a project)... and even lower down that list of possibilities is Herbert (I'd rather not). I will not mention that other OL whose last name starts with an "H" (he's attrition-worthy right now).

On defense, we are going to need a 3rd CB on the field often. Not so much with OTs. And if you believe the hype about King, our new uptempo offensive philosophy, and changing up our blocking scheme, these OTs shouldn't have as much on their plate as they did last season.

Obviously, I know our OL has sucked and we have recruited better quality at CB (talking strictly about the guys on the roster, not the plethora of misses), but at least at OT, we can take some injuries and still field a complete OL. 2-3 injuries at CB and people may get fired.

I disagree, grad transfer OTs are trash especially the ones Miami ends up with. Miami has more bodies in the OL group to figure it out.

We need more cb depth, I’m sure there was a cb out here that could start as a #2 on this team or even contribute in the slot. Someone with experience instead of having to give a lot of bad reps to the true freshman that I doubt are ready.

Advertisement
Losing spring practice has all but eliminated transfer OT. There was going to be quality guys fall back on the depth charts and would’ve bounced after spring ball. Odds it’ll be a wr or on defensive side of the ball.Maybe rb , unless a stud ol transfers out of nowhere , then I’m sure the staff definitely takes a look.

There’s one spot left for a grad transfer.

I disagree, grad transfer OTs are trash especially the ones Miami ends up with. Miami has more bodies in the OL group to figure it out.

We need more cb depth, I’m sure there was a cb out here that could start as a #2 on this team or even contribute in the slot. Someone with experience instead of having to give a lot of bad reps to the true freshman that I doubt are ready.
Who are these grad transfer ots Miami ends up with? Using Tommie Kennedy as a precursor of why you shouldn’t recruit a grad transfer OT is an utterly ridiculous assertion.

Secondly, the true freshman cbs won’t be needed as much next year anyways as the 4th and 5th corners have barely even played here. They can play a 5th and 6th role on a team which is not a lot of snaps anyway. Christian Williams and tecory couch should be next up and are talented enough to play extensively for Miami next year

Possibly true...But they seem to hate playing Scaife at Tackle even though he can do so because he is 6'3.

But i'm all for a plug and play OT and i can live with the current group as long as he can get the freshman ready and find ways to have Frierson out there or one of the safeties to diffuse some.

Ivey was hit or miss..but i think his problem is something he wont gain and that is speed. But if he can get confident and get his hands on guys early he has a chance.

Advertisement
I'm not sure about that. I think the top end talent is better at CB, but overall depth is worse at CB.

Once the TFs get in, we'll have 6 scholarship CBs (one being a major project in Clarke).

At OT, we've got 6-7 guys between Nelson, Scaife, Campbell, Washington (another project), and Rivers (some will call him an OG, but Rivers has the feet to play RT). Washington and Rivers are already here, whatever that is worth in the COVID-19 world. Plus ElGammal (he played OT in HS, but is still, at best, a project)... and even lower down that list of possibilities is Herbert (I'd rather not). I will not mention that other OL whose last name starts with an "H" (he's attrition-worthy right now).

On defense, we are going to need a 3rd CB on the field often. Not so much with OTs. And if you believe the hype about King, our new uptempo offensive philosophy, and changing up our blocking scheme, these OTs shouldn't have as much on their plate as they did last season.

Obviously, I know our OL has sucked and we have recruited better quality at CB (talking strictly about the guys on the roster, not the plethora of misses), but at least at OT, we can take some injuries and still field a complete OL. 2-3 injuries at CB and people may get fired.

Herbert is actually a current starter b4 Spring stopped i beleive.

If we actually had good depth at CB the question wouldn't even need to be asked.

giphy.gif

Was essentially my point i tried to make 2 classes ago that i seen coming down the pike.

Gonna have to really coach and pray for no injuries.

Losing spring practice has all but eliminated transfer OT. There was going to be quality guys fall back on the depth charts and would’ve bounced after spring ball. Odds it’ll be a wr or on defensive side of the ball. Unless a stud ol transfers out of nowhere , then I’m sure the staff definitely takes a look.

There’s one spot left for a grad transfer.
With the early reports of spring practice that were happening, Taking a receiver doesn’t exactly seem necessary. Let’s let these receivers thrive and give them an opportunity for extended playing time . I remember when people wanted to write off players on the defensive side of the ball who played in Donofrio scheme but yet when they moved to diaz scheme those players immediately produced. Same sh*t will happen in this new offensive system and with lashlee calling plays.

Advertisement
giphy.gif

Was essentially my point i tried to make 2 classes ago that i seen coming down the pike.

Gonna have to really coach and pray for no injuries.
Well when you take 3 grad transfers/juco transfer and lose a corner early due to career injury, in addition to a corner moving to another position, a corner transferring and one declares early for the draft, sh*t will happen depth will look suspect in times like spring ball in terms of numbers

Well when you take 3 grad transfers/juco transfer and lose a corner early due to career injury, in addition to a corner moving to another position, a corner transferring and one declares early for the draft, sh*t will happen depth will look suspect in times like spring ball in terms of numbers

Quick question...why do you think we have/had to take 3 grad transfer corners?.

Advertisement
Back