Barry Jackson fall camp buzz

LOL, the article said "Braxton Berrios was underutilized on offense" -- dude got plenty of burn and just couldn't get open.

Advertisement
Trent Harris is going to play 10 years in the NFL......
I don't like berrios at the X. It hasn't worked thus far. To me, BB in slot with JT on outside is a better fit.

I'm a huge Trent Harris guy. Glad the coaches fee the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like berrios at the X. It hasn't worked thus far. To me, BB in slot with JT on outside is a better fit.

Hot take: Trent Harris takes Chads starting spot at some point this season

[MENTION=538]rokulika[/MENTION]

Advertisement

Would really surprise me. If you go back through some of my Trent Harris posts, you'll see I defend and promote him as much as anyone on here. That said, Trent can't do some of the things Diaz asks his SSDE to do. At least not as well as some of our other options. Trent is actually perfectly suited for Diaz's WDE/Viper position and some of our blitz packages. I anticipate he'll continue to serve an overall utility role and make plays when given a chance.

Homer's a fast, tough dude. I can see him busting some long runs like James Jackson did his first year here when he backed up Edgerrin James. Seemed like JJ was busting long runs repeatedly that year.

I agree first look last year I was impressed, yes he fumbled which cost him. But now an extra year in the system/weight room. I honestly don't think we will skip a beat between him and Walton. Think at times Homer will look better than Walton as long as he holds onto the ball

That fumble happened b/c my man saw endzone. He was going to get to it, and lost ball security focus. I'm a big, BIG fan of Homer. Love his skill set and what he did on ST should show what type of toughness this kid has.

I agree, he's electric can't wait for him to finally get those 10-15 carries.

Would really surprise me. If you go back through some of my Trent Harris posts, you'll see I defend and promote him as much as anyone on here. That said, Trent can't do some of the things Diaz asks his SSDE to do. At least not as well as some of our other options. Trent is actually perfectly suited for Diaz's WDE/Viper position and some of our blitz packages. I anticipate he'll continue to serve an overall utility role and make plays when given a chance.

You're probably right. But I still think Trent and Joe Jackson is our best DE tandem to rush the passer.

[MENTION=538]rokulika[/MENTION]

The only way this happens is Thomas eventually sliding inside and becoming a full-time DT if something happens to Norton or RJ.

Advertisement

I hope you have deep pockets
[MENTION=6030]Ibis Wingz[/MENTION]

I hope you have deep pockets
[MENTION=6030]Ibis Wingz[/MENTION]

The cease and desist letter will go out today. Govern yourself accordingly, [MENTION=647]scrantoncane[/MENTION].

I like Berrios a lot, but not on the outside. He's very quick but does not have the speed to challenge the secondary with deep ball, also it seems like our secondary is going to be fine, I think our secondary will be the surprise of the year. Our Oline was below average last year, I think if they can play a little above average we'll be fine there. I think the season will be very exciting.

Homer's a fast, tough dude. I can see him busting some long runs like James Jackson did his first year here when he backed up Edgerrin James. Seemed like JJ was busting long runs repeatedly that year.

Homer is really going to turn heads this year. It'll be Walton's show, but Homer is the most physically talented back we've had here in some time. He's going to make some big plays spelling Walton.

He's got that extra gear no one else has. He's going to hit some homeruns for us.

Advertisement
Berrios outside=fail. It's one thing to make a mistake. It's another thing to not fix the mistake. That's where coaches fail.

I mean Homer was ranked a top 10 RB coming out of high school in his class.

It was
1. Miles Sanders
2. BJ Emmons
3. Devwah Whaley
4. Devin White
5. Vavae Malepeai
6. Travis Homer

Out of that group so far Whaley and BJ Emmons have had the most success. They were all freshman though.

though UM hasn’t ruled out playing Berrios outside.

At some point, someone is going to have to explain this one to me. Last year, the reason offered up was "numbers." I mentioned I found that weird since we could have played Harris or really anyone else there. I'm at a loss for why Berrios should play outside.

Separate note: I think Barry and Pete's reports are pretty much aligned at this point.

I've seen this a few times and there nothing wrong with this.

It's really dependent on your offensive scheme. You can put your clear out guy in the slot which will take the Safety and Nickel, which allow your outside WR to run in's slants screens etc with plenty of room.
If you put Berrios outside and pair it up with a speed guy like Thomas it become very dangerous because a simple hook corner design allows both guys to really have some space to work with.

Alternatively, you can put the clear-out guy on the outside (which is what most people on this board seem to believe is the status quo) and let the slot receiver run the short routes in space.

Both options have value, and because they start with one of the other doesn't mean a quick switch can't happen. Let's remember from that slot position you have to be able to block the Nickel (i.e., Johnson and Bandy types) and I'm not sure Jeff Thomas is there physically yet.

Advertisement
though UM hasn’t ruled out playing Berrios outside.

At some point, someone is going to have to explain this one to me. Last year, the reason offered up was "numbers." I mentioned I found that weird since we could have played Harris or really anyone else there. I'm at a loss for why Berrios should play outside.

Separate note: I think Barry and Pete's reports are pretty much aligned at this point.

I've seen this a few times and there nothing wrong with this.

It's really dependent on your offensive scheme. You can put your clear out guy in the slot which will take the Safety and Nickel, which allow your outside WR to run in's slants screens etc with plenty of room.
If you put Berrios outside and pair it up with a speed guy like Thomas it become very dangerous because a simple hook corner design allows both guys to really have some space to work with.

Alternatively, you can put the clear-out guy on the outside (which is what most people on this board seem to believe is the status quo) and let the slot receiver run the short routes in space.

Both options have value, and because they start with one of the other doesn't mean a quick switch can't happen. Let's remember from that slot position you have to be able to block the Nickel (i.e., Johnson and Bandy types) and I'm not sure Jeff Thomas is there physically yet.
The problem is we've watched it countless times. Some successful (in practice) and multiple times unsuccessful (in games). I understand the concept of clearing out and hook/corner (or other route combos) design. There are many variations beyond the smash concept. Berrios got separation in practice. He came underneath and made plays. But, could not get sufficient separation in the game from the outside spot nor did he have the physical attributes to make the necessary plays when blanketed. Of course, it depends on the man/zone defense the route combination faces.

Not sure if you're attributing some of your comments to me (things like what we "believe is the status quo") or that a "quick switch can't happen," but if you are, you're off. The heart of my question and issue is we've seen Berrios play from the flanker and I believe we have better options now and would argue we had better alternatives for the concepts you described (which were described on here last Fall camp) last season - even with a shorthanded unit.

What you cant do is put Berrios in the slot and it's always a pass and put a bigger guy in the slot and its always a run. That would also be a coaching fail. Berrios had a monster game against WVU in the slot, he's not much after the catch but moving the chains and making tough grabs is something he's very capable of. We've got some playmakers and steady guys at WR, it's a good problem to have when every team in the ACC would love to have him on the roster, even if he wasn't necessarily the top WR.

I think Berrios should be the slot guy. His blocking, route running, and senior leadership will be very helpful for the offense. He had a **** of a catch against WVU in the bowl game where he took an illegal hit right as he caught the ball and yet hung on. Dude has toughness and belongs on the field. Part of the reason for his lack of productivity was Brad Kakaa.

My man, Brock. Taking that **** to heart and coming strong. Good work with this young grasshopper, [MENTION=14457]Liberty City El[/MENTION]

Will see if he can keep himself outta trouble over the long haul...

Advertisement
Back