Barry Jackson article

Richt had 3 years here. Year one he lost 4 games to teams he shouldn’t have. Year 2 was great, and a lot of fun, until he lost to Pitt... another team he shouldve beaten easily. And at that point, the final game of his second regular season, the wheels came off.

Season 3 was a total disaster. All the bad decisions he made the previous 2 years came back to bite him, and all progress made rehabilitating the programs image was lost.

He left a program which was devoid of talent at QB and OL and had no player leadership whatsoever. On top of it all, he left a dysfunctional culture that rotted the team from the inside out. He also left manny a recruiting class in shambles and his wouid be senior leaders opted for the draft.

I understand that Richt won a bowl game and a divisional title. Great. But everything that followed was so bad that those accomplishments are seriously diminished.

He quit rather than trying to fix the team...that’s called a failureZ

Again, if that's your version of the events and if you really believe that, have at it man, but anybody that's bashing what coach richt accomplished under the circumstances in his first 2 years lose all credibility taljing football, was coach richt perfect, **** no, but the facts are he had the highest rate of success here while trying to rebuild this program than any coach since we joined the ACC. You like others act as if coach richt won the "national coach of the year" award by luck, lol. You can say coach richt quit all you want, but he didnt leave before he built a solid foundation for this program to thrive, but again, dont live in delusion, coach richt leaving puts him in Great company, he left for the same reason, jimmy, erickson and butch davis left, they all got tired of dealing with UM administration clowns. Coach richt left on his own terms just like the other 2, ***** flake james and his hoe *** mentality. Can you imagine some clown a.d. like the current diaz having no successful track record in their current jobs trying to tell a well established headcoach like coach richt who had just got you your 1st bowl win in how long, by the way, its the only bowl win in the last 14 years, just got you to the first ACC championship game, national exposure going thru the roof, prime time games, revenues went way up, and a clown like flake james couldnt wait one more year before trying to make a staff change recommendation, especially when this same clown allowed the penn disgrace moron tandem to go on for damyum near 4 years, coach richt did flake james exactly how it was suppose to be done, GTFOH flake, you think this **** is that easy and didnt think coach richt didnt know that they, the administration actually had already wanted manny diaz to be the next headcoach so coach richt just expedited the process for em, how'd it turn out thus far, coach diaz got humbled, while coach diaz is smart, takes more than that to be a successful headcoach, he has the mental capacity to do it, but can he also lead and inspire men to Greatness, not with the way he ran the team last year, the continuos hyping up transfer tate was a bad sign!

Advertisement
What is with our players wanting to go to a rival ? I jus don’t understand tht ****
I don't think it's unique to our players. We've picked up kids from rival schools, as well. I think it's more a matter of where a kid sees opportunity. Berlin may have been the exception to that rule. I think he wanted to F* a gaturd as part of his decision, to come to the U - and he did.

Last year o-linemen would've looked way betterand would not have given up that many sacks, the inept play-calling was the problem as well as the wrong line-up, no way coach richt would've started Zion and campbell against the gaytors, he's way smarter than that. Ask yourself this question, in coach richt's 3 years here, do you really think he would've lost to F.i.u. or Louisianna Tech, or the game be close against Central Michigan. We definitely would've beat either UNC, Georgia Tech or Virginia Tech or maybe even all 3, no way coach richt would've been 6 & 7 with last years squad, i know a bad o-line when i see one, the guys we got on this o-line are solid, watch how they look next season if we got an oc with common sense.

Coach richt easily wins 8 to 10 games with last year's squad, you talking as if coach richt didnt know how to get a team prepared!
So 8 wins with last year's schedule makes him a good coach?

So 8 wins with last year's schedule makes him a good coach?

Question, did coach richt inherit this program from butch davis, did i miss that somewhere, stop being shallow, coach richt was already a good coach before he got here. Do these mean anything to you or was it just luck, lol:

Question, did coach richt inherit this program from butch davis, did i miss that somewhere, stop being shallow, coach richt was already a good coach before he got here. Do these mean anything to you or was it just luck, lol:

He wasn't improving. He peaked at that ND game and was on cruise control the rest of the way. The problem was his offensive players. Look at how many ****ed and moaned about PT or took their ball and went home. Richt as OC was better than Enos, but that's like saying the plague is better than ebola. As to who's the better HC, time will tell.

In any case, it was not a mistake to allow Richt to amicably leave.

Advertisement
If you ask football coach Manny Diaz what needs to be fixed on this team, two words will quickly be mentioned: third down.

It’s not only on offense, where the Canes ranked 129th of 130 FBS schools in third-down conversions at 27.2 percent, ahead of only Akron. Diaz also sees a problem on defense.

The Hurricanes allowed teams to convert on 37.2 percent of third-down chances last season, which was 42nd in the country, much worse than their rankings in most other key defensive categories. Miami had ranked higher in previous years.

“We are digging deep into some of our failures on third down,” Diaz told WQAM’s Joe Zagacki on Hurricane Hotline. “All of our [other] numbers are where we want it — top 15, top 12, top 10. Third down is an outlier — middle of the country — where it shouldn’t be. “Not just third down, but third-and-longs we surrendered. We are looking into it. It’s never just one thing, but you see some recurring themes. [We need to determine] why some players didn’t play in a position as well as we thought they would. That will be a major emphasis for us all offseason. To lead the nation in third -down defense and have it drop so sharply, that’s what you are looking [for answers] for. The scheme is sound.”

Offensively, third-down performance “was completely unacceptable and never got better,” Diaz said. “You should never finish last in anything at the University of Miami. What does that go back to? We couldn’t run the football. If you can’t run, you have to throw it, and if you have to throw, odds are you are going to have some incompletes. We have to be a much better team running the ball than a year ago.”

▪ Diaz, with Zagacki, offered more insight on the move to a spread offense:
“There are a lot of people running a tempo, spread offense that are doing a terrible job doing it. [Offensive coordinator] Rhett Lashlee is one of the best doing it anywhere in the country. All you have to do is spend five minutes with him [and you know]. It’s not just putting a bunch of plays on the board and saying “do this.” You got to have the connection. If players feel that connection for you, they will give you a little bit extra.”

Diaz expects the new offense “will probably be a little more simple and a little less learning than in the past. What I would equate it to is what we did defensively in 2016.”

Diaz has finally come to the conclusion that the speed and athleticism of the quintessential South Florida athlete must be accentuated in UM’s program on offense as much as it is on defense.

“The worst thing we can do is get really athletic guys and really fast guys and slow them down with a bunch of rules,” Diaz said. “That’s the biggest crime a coach can commit. We’re trying to get guys to play faster, and sometimes lessening the thinking is a good way to do that.”

▪ Diaz said “one of the great things about coach Lashlee is he has done it with different styles of quarterbacks. At SMU, incorporating the Air Raid concepts into this offense is what in my mind has taken it to the next level.
“That is very difficult to stop when you have a quarterback that can run. You are seeing it at all levels, with how Lamar Jackson burned down the NFL this year. That puts so much stress on the defense. When you have a guy who can do both [throw and run], that’s a real problem.”
UM has that now at quarterback with grad transfer D’Eriq King.

▪ Diaz believes the move to a spread offense will have intrinsic benefits beyond the obvious of it leading to more points.
“This is not just a scheme change,” he said. “It’s a lifestyle change. Going fast, it will affect the defense being lined up. It will be good for us. It will take everyone out of their comfort zone, which I love about it. That’s what we need.
“Guys are really excited to see it go. All it is right now is a daydream. We have to put in work as coaches and our guys need to put in work of not only learning it for themselves but how to do it for the guy next to you.”

▪ Quick stuff: New UM grad transfer kicker Jose Borregalas’ decision to transfer to UM was about more than football. “Just having a degree from the University of Miami is a big deal,” he said, as he works toward a master’s degree in liberal studies. “Outside of football, you can get any job that you want in your field with a degree from here.” He was 50 of 65 on field goals in his career at FIU; UM was 12 for 20 on field goals last season....

Former UM receiver Evidence Njoku transferred to UCLA… Among schools that have reached out to defensive end Scott Patchan, who’s in the transfer portal: UF, North Carolina and Toledo (where former defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski is employed).
I wish Canes Football was as consistent good as LCE. Good looking out, per usual.

Richt had 3 years here. Year one he lost 4 games to teams he shouldn’t have. Year 2 was great, and a lot of fun, until he lost to Pitt... another team he shouldve beaten easily. And at that point, the final game of his second regular season, the wheels came off.

Season 3 was a total disaster. All the bad decisions he made the previous 2 years came back to bite him, and all progress made rehabilitating the programs image was lost.

He left a program which was devoid of talent at QB and OL and had no player leadership whatsoever. On top of it all, he left a dysfunctional culture that rotted the team from the inside out. He also left manny a recruiting class in shambles and his wouid be senior leaders opted for the draft.

I understand that Richt won a bowl game and a divisional title. Great. But everything that followed was so bad that those accomplishments are seriously diminished.

He quit rather than trying to fix the team...that’s called a failureZ

Agreed for the most part. With that being said, it’s a little hard to call a bowl win or Coastal title an “achievement.” They’re things we should be accomplishing regularly, but that we achieve rarely because our coaching is so awful.

Years 1-2 were honestly kind of “meh.” They were only good compared to what’s happened before and since. Richt basically had 2 meh seasons and one **** season.

Last edited:
Agreed for the most part. With that being said, it’s a little hard to call a bowl win or Coastal title an “achievement.” They’re things we should be accomplishing regularly, but that we achieve rarely because our coaching is so awful.

Years 1-2 were honestly kind of “meh.” They were only good compared to what’s happened before and since. Richt basically had 2 meh seasons and one **** season.
Agree

Lulz...the way Patchan carried that dude in theend zone that one time, my guess wouldve been that he went there.

Advertisement
Again, delusion reigns supreme, its not worth to keep talking football to those who dont know it and get emotional, this **** not that complicated. Those who think coach richt failed here are only going off of his last/3rd year here, he won 19 games his first 2 years here and people still were complaining, lol. Won the 1st legitimate coastal division, got to the 1st ACC championship game and people were still complaining, somebody even made the comment something to the effect of "winning the coastal division is not a big accomplishment", lol, although we going on around 15/16 years in the ACC, with nobody but coach richt legitimately winning it, so i just laugh at alot of the delusiobal people in here.

People in here are comical, just go and look at the comments from when coach diaz took over and his 1st move was to fire all the offensive coaches, ok, people jumping up and down for joy, than in comes enos already (from the Bama, who gave a *****, not me), but than people in here really going ballistic, and commenting on coach richt, and the "we finally have a real qb coach" comments, and this and that, and what happened, in comes rhett, people already praising this move like they did the enos already move, instead of shutting the ***** up and letting it play out, the approach that coach richt took, was a move that successful veteran headcoaches make, they dont panic, start firing people left and right, because one, who hired them in the 1st place.

The approach that coach richt took was a, building a strong foundation and creating stability approach, guys on offense had to grow up more 1st, the guys that will be relied upon the most offensively will be the older guys who are going into their 3rd and 4th years here now, so improvement should be there. The fact that you're trying to compare and contrast coach richt with coach diaz already shows your flawed thinking on the subject matter. I'll give you a clue, right now this is coach diaz:

Imma need you to start living in reality and not be delusional if you plan on talking legitimate football, stop trying to bullshat people with this nonsense you just posted to try and boost up diaz over coach richt, lol. First off, who was the senior qb, next, who were the 4 upperclassmen o-linemen and how and why did they become the starters that year. Ill break that down since you trying to bs people, an inaccurate rosier was named the starter for several reasons, #1 being, he was the most prepared and the hardest working qb at that time, perry didnt know the playbook and jarren was a crybaby, coach richt was on his way to either snuffin that **** outta them or running them off, coach richt was never just going to hand those qb's anything, and once jw15 tried that transfer tatic, coach richt was getting ready to dog walk him as well. Next, why did Jahir jones and hayden, my mahoney has a 1st name end up in the starting line-up, its called headcoaching integrity, cause coach richt was going to throw the more talented guys who werent physically ready to the wolves against a more physical Lsu d-line for the sake of trying to get a win, so coach richt mandated that those upperclassmen, who had been sitting on the shelf, who had been in the S & C, for over 3 years, made them earn there schalorships, and started bring the young guns along slowly. And you know tyree st. Louis was not a real left tackle and donaldson at right tackle was out of desparation, gauthier was a serviceable center, the only player coach richt recruited in that starting group was donaldson and he was forced to play out of position.

Now fast foward to this year, had coach richt been the headcoach, the mismanagement of the o-line personnel would never had happened last year because common sense, scaife would've started off at left tackle, donaldson would've been the left guard, gaynor at center, and herbert, campbell or Zion at right tackle, and reed might've got that other guard spot going into the gaytor game and perry would've been the starter, and will mallory's narrow *** wouldnt have been continually called upon in the run game, wherever their was a negative running play, will mallory was almost always their, coach richt would've been amart enuff to start irvin and slowly bring mallory along or even redshirt em.

As far as the defense goes, since coach richt became the headcoach, this team has gotten back to playing defense, so why would anybody try and pretend that somehow a mark richt led team would not be playing defense.

In the end, here's the thing, for you to even insinuate that coach diaz somehow has done a better job this year than coach richt shows you know absolutely nothing about football, coach diaz can only hope he becomes even close to being as successful as coach richt has been, even in his short time at UM. After this post if you're still delusional, that's on you, cause you brought up logic, im not sure if you know what definition of logic is, cause if you did, you would've never posted what you did to began with!

Holy ****, what’s with the dissertations? I gotta believe you’re one of those guys who loves the sound of his own voice. I hope I never cross paths with you.

Go Canes!

Holy ****, what’s with the dissertations? I gotta believe you’re one of those guys who loves the sound of his own voice. I hope I never cross paths with you.

Go Canes!

Naw, i just dont like the sound of stupidity and ignorance, its common sense, was coach richt above criticism, of course not, but his good definitely outweighed his faults and ****'s on here wont even give em credit for that, and his known achievements, all they want to talk about is coach richt hiring his son to be the qb coach, as if he was unqualified, the crybabies cried that cry all seasons long, than what happened, enos already comes from Bama and the glee club jumping up and down, and the results proved that enos already was way worse than jon, and nowhere near the caliber of oc coach richt was, the offense avg giving up almost 4 sacks a game, 3rd down pct% 2 stats for sure that's near the bottom of football. Alot of people in here are clueless for sure!

Naw, i just dont like the sound of stupidity and ignorance, its common sense, was coach richt above criticism, of course not, but his good definitely outweighed his faults and ****'s on here wont even give em credit for that, and his known achievements, all they want to talk about is coach richt hiring his son to be the qb coach, as if he was unqualified, the crybabies cried that cry all seasons long, than what happened, enos already comes from Bama and the glee club jumping up and down, and the results proved that enos already was way worse than jon, and nowhere near the caliber of oc coach richt was, the offense avg giving up almost 4 sacks a game, 3rd down pct% 2 stats for sure that's near the bottom of football. Alot of people in here are clueless for sure!

I don’t disagree with you, just don’t have the attention span to read multi paragraph posts. Carry on...

Go Canes!

Calvin The Comma Cing.

Advertisement

Enos a worse QB Coach than Jon??

Are you high?

Advertisement

You don’t think Jon was unqualified to be QB coach. WTF? I don’t think I’ve seen a dumber post on CIS yet.

Jon is a private QB coach because he can’t even get a high school to hire him. I don’t think that’s ever happened before to one of Miami’s assistants who got fired.

With that being said, I’ve always had a suspicion that Richt Sr. was the de facto QB coach, and Richt Jr. didn’t do much of anything other than collect a paycheck.

I don’t know if that makes Richt Sr. look better or worse than if he really did allow his underqualified son to actively serve as QB coach.

Last edited:
You don’t think Jon was unqualified to be QB coach. WTF? I don’t think I’ve seen a dumber post on CIS yet.

Jon is a private QB coach because he can’t even get a high school to hire him. I don’t think that’s ever happened before to one of Miami’s assistants who got fired.

With that being said, I’ve always had a suspicion that Richt Sr. was the de facto QB coach, and Richt Jr. didn’t do much of anything other than collect a paycheck.

I don’t know if that makes Richt Sr. look better or worse than if he really did allow his underqualified son to actively serve as QB coach.

So enos already was supposedly way more qualified and you see how that turned out, ill take the richt's anyday of the week over enos already!

Advertisement
Back