Barry Jackson article

scrantoncane

Sophomore
Some UM football buzz, with camp set to open Aug. 1:

• Freshman N’Kosi Perry has displayed such tantalizing physical gifts in informal player-run workouts that one veteran UM starter at another position said he would give Perry the edge in the quarterback competition. That veteran, who does not want to be identified, noted Perry’s impressive athleticism and accuracy in throwing on the move.

Because coaches haven’t been allowed to watch Perry, they don’t yet know how seriously Perry will challenge Malik Rosier or Evan Shirreffs. But coaches talk about Perry in lofty terms – comparing him to Heisman winner Charlie Ward - that they do not use with the other quarterbacks.

Another veteran, receiver Braxton Berrios, told WQAM’s Joe Rose and Zach Krantz on Thursday that Perry has “looked really good. He’s impressed a lot of people so far. He has a heck of an arm. Truly has a cannon. It’s one thing to see it on film. It’s another to see it in person. He’s starting to understand the playbook. That’s going to be the main thing. Can he understand the playbook and can he read college defenses and make the right decision?”

• Even though receiver Dionte Mullins made progress this spring, a UM official cautioned against anointing him, noting his play leveled off late in spring. “I've just got to get him to play consistent,” receivers coach Ron Dugans said.

Among those battling for the No. 2 and No. 3 receiver jobs, freshmen Jeff Thomas and DeeJay Dallas probably have the most upside, Thomas and Mike Harley perhaps the best speed.

“Jeff Thomas and Mike Harley can be really special,” Berrios said.

But Berrios is the most polished and best route-runner, and one UM person said that shouldn’t be underestimated.

• Berrios, on WQAM, about new cornerbacks Jhavonte Dean and Dee Delaney: “Dean can cover ground. He’s a long, lanky cornerback. He has great speed. We are very excited about him. And Dee Delaney as well. He’s a very big, strong corner and he can run as well and has good technique and it will only get better with [cornerback coach] Mike Rumph.”

• Though UM has the nation’s No. 1 rated recruiting class for 2018, coaches privately believe one key to contending for a playoff berth in 2018 is persuading defensive tackles Kendrick Norton and Richard McIntosh Jr. to return for their senior seasons in 2018 and not turn pro.

UM already has put that bug in the ears of people close to at least one of them. Norton and McIntosh are close friends and turning pro will be tempting if they’re told they will go in the first three rounds of the draft. Whether that happens will depend largely on how they play this season.

• Barring something unforeseen, the remainder of UM’s recruiting class is expected to arrive this weekend: defensive end D.J. Johnson, receiver Evidence Njoku, defensive end Jon Ford, linebacker D’Andre Wilder, and punter Zach Feagles.

Advertisement
Does anyone know how long the player run practices will run for? When should we expect the coaches to start participating in practice, fall camp?

I like to hear about what's happening during summer workouts, because it's all about the players bonding and making things happen.. And of course it's all about players making major improvements in the weight room as well, BUT for me I'm the type I "wait for the pads to come on" to make my judgements!! Right now it sounds good that Perry has come in and is working hard and bonding with his teammates, BUT I will wait to see how is doing when the defense is live and players are moving at 100%.. NOW don't take this as if I'm KNOCKING Perry, I just rather judge when things are for real and it counts, right now without pads on to me "it's not real".. I'm not a big fan of the 7 on 7 circuits or events, it's fun to watch BUT I would never judge a recruit or player off that, I rather watch game film and make my judgement!!

SO as for the summer, I'm happy to hear that players have come in and impressed BUT I will be waiting to see how our players perform this fall, when the pads come on and it's live!! Right now, I just want to hear that the players are putting on proper weight, getting stronger and also getting better with quickness and speed, this is what happens during the offseason "improve the little things"..

Advertisement
Lol at the coaches not being allowed to watch them practice. I'm sure every coach in the big 5 get reports and probably video. ******* stupid ncaa rules.

Pretty sure Felder gets to spend time with the players when the coaches can't during the summer. It's good to have a former high level D1 player like Felder as the strength guy because he knows more football and what to report to coaches than a typical meathead trainer.

Pretty sure Felder gets to spend time with the players when the coaches can't during the summer. It's good to have a former high level D1 player like Felder as the strength guy because he knows more football and what to report to coaches than a typical meathead trainer.

People can down vote all they want but this is a very realistic possibility. Been saying it for a while now. If the upperclassmen can't/haven't separated themselves by now, they probably never will. When all is equal might as well go with the young guy.

Advertisement

He does. And you're right, the other "typical meathead trainer" would have had to watch them from the parking deck.

Love that the coaches are already in players ears about returning next year for a playoff run. We're close. Not there just yet but it's coming.

Hopefully they're not going too hard at Norton and McIntosh this early because it might ring as "they're looking out for themselves and not us" type of deal.

Give them the info from the last couple drafts. Guys who play DT are almost always better served to put up as much college film as possible. Set a general tone in the program that leaving early is usually stupid. But don't go too hard at them specifically yet.

Plenty of praise for Perry all around though. I really hope he's a good one... if we can get quarterback settled-- I'll feel great about the season and barring some bad luck around or RBs and TEs I think we should be set up really, really well to succeed.

Advertisement
Sounds like Mullins better tighten up come fall camp... Richt has an itchy trigger finger.

Plenty of praise for Perry all around though. I really hope he's a good one... if we can get quarterback settled-- I'll feel great about the season and barring some bad luck around or RBs and TEs I think we should be set up really, really well to succeed.

It does seem like every report we've gotten about Mullins since Day 1 has been about his inconsistency and tempering expectations. Rok may need to adjust his hot take. =P

Advertisement
Sounds like Mullins better tighten up come fall camp... Richt has an itchy trigger finger.

Didn't sound like he was running afoul, but it did sound like he wasn't working as hard as someone with more than a few question marks should be that's for sure.

However i get what you're saying. Would be a shame if he allowed freshman to pass him up because of lazy, but wasn't that the report coming out of HS? Lazy is usually not a trait that changes unfortunately.

Didn't sound like he was running afoul, but it did sound like he wasn't working as hard as someone with more than a few question marks should be that's for sure.

However i get what you're saying. Would be a shame if he allowed freshman to pass him up because of lazy, but wasn't that the report coming out of HS? Lazy is usually not a trait that changes unfortunately.
I wouldn't go as far to say lazy, but if he's still struggling with the playbook or if it's a matter of effort he could be someone who's clock is ticking.

Plus, the WR room is crowded with 3 incoming Frosh & Dayall Harris still there & playing pretty well in the Spring.

It's purely speculation on my part, so I'm not "reporting" anything, just making the observation & deducing from what we've seen about Richt is that he tends to get rid of guys who for whatever reason just don't make their way on the field.

I actually like Mullins a lot & hope he steps it up this year.

Last edited:

I wouldn't go as far to say lazy, but if he's still struggling with the playbook or if it's a matter of effort he could be someone who's clock is ticking.

Plus, the WR room is crowded with 3 incoming Frosh & Dayall Harris still there & playing pretty well in the Spring.

It's purely speculation on my part, so I'm not "reporting" anything, just making the observation & deducing from what we've seen about Richt is that he tends to get rid of guys who for whatever reason just don't make their way on the field.

I actually like Mullins a lot & hope he steps it up this year.

He get rid of guys that are repeat trouble makers no matter the star power they have. I live in Georgia and know he has kicked a bunch of talented guys off but only if they are disciplinary problems. Mullins is going to be straight. Seems like he needs to continue to work on his conditioning

Could the issue with Mullins be something as simple as concentration? Learning the playbook?

"Be more consistent" could mean a lot of things, but this doesn't set off alarms compared with guys who've been suspended like Haskins, Bruce, Irvin, Wright, James.

Advertisement
Back