Barry Jackson’s Latest

Advertisement
- We are targeting two grad transfers — Buffalo WR KJ Osborn and UCLA DT Chigozie Nnoruka.

- We offered a 2019 QB named Plumlee, who is committed to UGA. He’s interested, but waiting to see who we hire as OC/QB coach.

- Grad transfer QBs we might target include SMU’s Ben Hicks, Jalen Hurts, and Shane Buechele.

- Asa Martin is seeking a waiver to play immediately due to Auburn messing up his RS.

- Jarren Williams is staying.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/article223552605.html

Interesting. Glad Diaz isn't playing around with the QB room and targeting a guy to come in now ready to play and elevate competition and other guy to likely RS. IMO he's telling guys that keep effing up you're free to bounce whenever you want because this is big boy stuff.

For those interested in a summary of Chigozie Nnoruka's career according to UCLA's website:

Saw action in 11 games as a reserve along the defensive front ... Recorded a season-high three tackles at Arizona State ... Had two stops in the win over USC.

Saw action in all 13 games and made 10 starts ... Credited with 49 tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss and 2.0 sacks on the year ... Made his first start at Memphis and had four tackles, two for loss ... Ranked eighth on the team in tackles with 49 ... Tied for second on the team with 8.5 tackles for loss ... Made at least three tackles in 10 games ... Totaled a season-high eight tackles in the win over Arizona State ... Had five stops each in games vs. Oregon and at Utah.

Did not see game action in his first year in the program.

JUNIOR COLLEGE
Credited with 35 tackles, three sacks and eight tackles for loss in 2015 while playing at American River College ... Named first-team All-Nor-Cal League selection.

HIGH SCHOOL
As a prep senior in 2014, he made 54 tackles, 10 sacks for John F. Kennedy HS in Sacramento.

For those interested in a summary of KJ Osborn's career according to Buffalo's website:

Hoof Prints: Speedy receiver who came to UB from IMG Academy with fellow Bull Tyler Mabry... had a breakout season in 2017 - his first as a starter... named pound-for-pound strongest player in camp following summer 2017 conditioning... major is sociology.

Sophomore (2017): Played in all 12 games and started seven… ranked second on the team in receiving with 35 catches for 493 yards and four touchdowns on the season… an Academic All-MAC selection… registered a catch in every game… had seven catches for 138 yards and three touchdown (all season highs) against Western Michigan (Oct. 7)… had six receptions for 36 yards at Akron (Oct. 28)… had three catches for 65 yards and a touchdown against Bowling Green (Nov. 7)… had five receptions for 76 yards at Ball State (Nov. 16).

Redshirt-Freshman (2016): Played in all 12 games and started two at receiver… had eight catches for 105 yards and a touchdown on the year… registered a catch in five different games… had three catches, including a 39-yard touchdown reception against Ball State (10/15)… had two catches for 12 yards at Ohio (11/3).

Freshman (2015): Redshirted in his first season at Buffalo.

High School: After playing three seasons at Lincoln High School in Ypsilanti, MI, he played his senior season for head coach Chris Weinke at IMG Academy… described as a good route runner with speed, he had 21 receptions for 379 yards and a team-best seven touchdowns as a senior… helped lead the Ascenders to a 10-1 record and a number one ranking in the state of Florida… also runs track and set the school record in the 100 and 200 meters while a junior at Lincoln High School… played high school ball at both Lincoln and IMG with fellow signee Tyler Mabry.

Advertisement
Plumlee reminds me of a faster version of Tebow, or even Eric Crouch. Not surprised we got.on him late.

How about news on the staff? Whole lot of Clemson c@ck sucking on this site today, any Miami staff news?
Done deal, announcement coming shortly.........

Just kidding, I’m getting antsy myself. I really hope I’m not let down with the hires

Not sold on Chumlee
He'd push Jarren. Jarren can be really good. I wanted him to play this year, but tbh, he's got to put in a lot of work and be coached by someone that knows how to develop qbs. Plumlee may be a better runner. Tough thing in his eval is Mississippi HS talent. There are small pockets of really good football, but much of the state is average. States like FL, GA, TX, etc have a bigger expanse of top talent (bigger populations help, and lots of good players). I think UGA may have taken 2 other kids this cycle at QB. I'd like to land him + 1 more.

Advertisement
If they don't grant a waiver, it allows coaches to purposely ***** over kids with the express goal of not allowing them to play immediately and make them more likely to stay. The optics on that are pretty bad.
How does a player burning his red shirt by playing in a game/games have any bearing on him being able to transfer and play immediately? Please explain.

How does a player burning his red shirt by playing in a game/games have any bearing on him being able to transfer and play immediately? Please explain.

He/his family requested that he be redshirted I believe if he wasn't going to play much. There was confusion between the Auburn coaches on how many games he played. They admitted that they botched it by giving improper information on his status.

Advertisement
He/his family requested that he be redshirted I believe if he wasn't going to play much. There was confusion between the Auburn coaches on how many games he played. They admitted that they botched it by giving improper information on his status.

None of that matters. It is well within the rights of the coaches to play a freshman in five games.

IDK how they messed him up or if he'll get approved

Dude Played 1 snap in a game but still technically counts. Not sure NCAA will show mercy on that

If he transferred to say LSU Ncaa would grant it... because its us they will say he has to sit.

Advertisement
Gotcha. But you said a coach can ***** a player over by putting him in for one snap (or now with the new rule, 4 games) and then they can't transfer without sitting out. But that makes no sense, as whether a player redshirts or not has no bearing whatsoever on whether they have to sit out a year when they transfer. Only a graduate transfer doesn't have to sit out. Period. If you're an undergrad you sit out a year whether you have redshirted or not.

Advertisement
Back