Banda to Utah St?

Advertisement
I assumed Diaz would try to help his guys find other jobs instead of outright firing them. He can upgrade the staff without having to be an ******* about it. Banda as DC at Utah St is a position upgrade so that works out for both parties.

Baker is a tougher one, if he goes to be a DC at an FCS it is clearly a demotion, I'm hoping there is at least one FCS or D2 our there that would consider him for HC. His players seem to like him and he recruits well, so I think he could potentially be more successful as a FCS HC (in a GM type role) than as a P5 DC (I don't think he's very astute at the Xs and Os).

Nobody on the d staff is in a position to leverage anything. If and when Manny removes Blake he won’t go the same route with a less experienced guy. I could even see him separating from his scheme if changes are made. Going with a vet.

I posted yesterday I think there’ll be changes , Banda taking another job somewhere like Utah State would tell you a lot. You don’t leave Miami to go there for less money and the same title. Take that as you will.

Manny isn’t Al, he’s got going down being hard headed. There’s enough to bash him but making changes isn’t one. So I’ll wait until there’s no changes before I add another area to bash him in.
This post is encouraging.

Advertisement
It’s a huge problem.
What happened was simple in retrospect. When Manny got here, he had some stronger pieces at certain positions (DT and LB) that hid his scheme short comings. As other ACC teams figured it out, talent went down and he ran out of some excuses (e.g. the offense)

Nobody on the d staff is in a position to leverage anything. If and when Manny removes Blake he won’t go the same route with a less experienced guy. I could even see him separating from his scheme if changes are made. Going with a vet.

I posted yesterday I think there’ll be changes , Banda taking another job somewhere like Utah State would tell you a lot. You don’t leave Miami to go there for less money and the same title. Take that as you will.

Manny isn’t Al, he’s got going down being hard headed. There’s enough to bash him but making changes isn’t one. So I’ll wait until there’s no changes before I add another area to bash him in.

Man I hope this is the case because this is make or break time for that staff. There are and will be upgrades out there. And the UNC debacle made the point crystal clear at the exact time those upgrades started to surface. Things are aligning for staff improvements. If there aren't any (or many).... whew man. Troubling times in the kingdom.

A coach doesn’t have to publicly fire anyone for them not to be retained. Especially if their contract is up or about to be up. Taking another job is sometimes best for all parties.
thats a good point. i guess assistants it slips through the cracks more when they're fired cuz casual fans don't really know them.

Advertisement
No bars in Utah
There are some weird, weird alcohol rules in that state. The strangest was the "Zion curtain", where if you were in a restaurant and ordered a drink, the bartender would have to walk behind a curtain to prepare it, lest there be a Mormon in the area to see the drink being prepared.

Cmon be reasonable

How does he get credit for Jenkins and Carter when he had them for one year and Carter was undrafted anyway? Colbert played CB here.

I give him credit by watching them play the year before and after he got here.

Sh8d.... Mormons drink. Once they join the 82D Airborne Division..... 🤷🏿‍♂️
They aren't supposed to. Mormons take a vow to abstain from alcohol and even some caffeinated drinks. If a professing member of the Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints violates their church covenant, they will be removed from the church.

Advertisement
He’s also a cog in the staff makeup.. we would struggle to find a good coach to coach CBs only without the co-dc title as well (which Banda already owned).

Legit coaches want full control of the secondary and/or the co-dc title.

Opens the door for us to pursue Fran Brown or TRob or even Corey Raymond. All could be a co-dc and secondary coach. Then you can play around with hiring a DC only with no positional responsibility and a LB coach (if Baker goes) or hire multiple DL coaches.
IF BANDA LEAVES

You bring in a stud secondary coach and give him Co-DC responsibilities, that's your TRob/Corey Raymond type. Baker has to go, so you absolutely bring in a big time DC and IMO it would be great for him to specialize in LBs but not necessarily take over the LB room....when you do good work you should be recognized and I think Patke has done that, give him LB room and allow him to be groomed by said DC with LB coaching experience (this is where Lovie Smith fits perfectly), I also think he could retain the ST role unless Manny/DC thinks otherwise.....gentlemen, now we'd be cooking with some hot oil.....

IF BANDA LEAVES

You bring in a stud secondary coach and give him Co-DC responsibilities, that's your TRob/Corey Raymond type. Baker has to go, so you absolutely bring in a big time DC and IMO it would be great for him to specialize in LBs but not necessarily take over the LB room....when you do good work you should be recognized and I think Patke has done that, give him LB room and allow him to be groomed by said DC with LB coaching experience (this is where Lovie Smith fits perfectly), I also think he could retain the ST role unless Manny/DC thinks otherwise.....gentlemen, now we'd be cooking with some hot oil.....
You had me until you said Lovie Smith

You know what, wtf am I even doing...

Never mind. I’m not about to dissipate the mirage, Diaz is definitely gonna hire a bunch of slam dunk Defensive Coaches...

Good. Luck. With. That. Shît. Lol.
This is a win win...the current staff blows; so there's two things that can come from this, both of which are good:

1. Manny makes some good hires and gives the scheme over to the DC, becoming more of a CEO of the team. The defense takes off and the offense becomes more consistent in Year 2, leading to a good season

2. Manny ****s the bed with the hires and is a dead man walking either at the end of the season or at the beginning of Year 4.

Can't fault him for making changes, especially when he's owning up to the failures of his own gimmicky defensive scheme. Now it remains to be seen if it pans out.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You had me until you said Lovie Smith
Think about though....try and erase the Fighting Illini version of Lovie Smith (I know it's tough but you have to so you can see where I'm going with this...) Lovie ran an ELITE Defensive football team in the NFL, the man knows his DEF and there's NOTHING any coach can throw at him that he wouldn't have already seen at the highest level. I mean he left the Chicago Bears after having taking them the playoffs multiple years in a row, he didn't leave the team when they were 4-12 etc, top brass wanted an offensive mind running the team so enter (i believe it was Trestman idk, OFF guru) and the Bears have been struggling since.

Take a guy with that level of experience and give him the keys to a Miami DEF about halfway stocked with good to great talent....that's a recipe for a ton of success...

Safety play was not very good this year. Hall is a bust, Bolden disappeared, Carter just had his worst game. Banda was very excited about them before the season. What good is bringing Tae and James Williams here if they're not going to be developed?

We don’t know what’s happening from an injury/COVID standpoint with Bolden. I prefer to look at what he’s done since he stepped foot on the field as opposed to the last three or four games. All the other names I mentioned to have developed. You are cherry picking one player that hasnt and ignoring the rest.

Last edited:
Banda would be one of the guys that would hurt a little bit, that being said nobody on the defensive staff is irreplaceable. None of them.

Im at the point I was when manny gutted the offense , the defensive room needs a reboot. New ideas. This staff is all manny clones and only know what he’s taught them. That’s never good. If you own a business you want people surrounding you that’s smarter than you and bring new ideas.
good idea yes GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Advertisement
Back