Banda-Patke co-dc, Simpson associate head coach

These events didn't surprise me one bit. They want to keep the defense as is and are going to sell high potential with Banda and Patke.

Richt's going to use that last coaching slot for an actual (co-)OC to shut fans up. Manny leaving was the best thing for Richt because he doesn't have to get rid of Jon Richt now to hire an actual OC. The problem is, it's going to be an OC that will run Richt's offense.

The real issue is that if you look at this staff right now, half of this staff isn't worth its weight. I like Simpson and Rumph as technicians. I also like Dugans as an all around coach as well as Hartley on TEs (his special teams are a disaster). But if you look at the rest of this staff (I like Banda as a safety coach), it leaves a lot to be desired. You can't tell me that this was the best possible staff you could put together if you're Richt.

Now I see why Pruitt didn't respect Richt.

Advertisement
Saban hires every ex head coach and surrounds himself with tons of experience. Then mixes in a couple up and comers. We hire two green guys just to keep some continuity. Brilliant move here (sarcasm). The best coach on this team maybe Simpson, at least he's a proven winner at some level.

Pray for the best but this might get really ugly starting with UF

I don't agree necessarily. If we bring in a big-time OC, what does Jon do? What about the titles they gave Dugans and Brown? If anything, our staff would be lopsided. We would have 6 offensive coaches and only 4 defensive.....and 2 of those guys have to split their focus between coordinator duties and position responsibilities. Since Richt is an offensive guy, that doesn't help the D.

Alabama has 4 defensive coaches:
  1. Defensive Line (AHC)
  2. Defensive Coordinator / Outside Linebackers
  3. Co-Defensive Coordinator / Inside Linebackers
  4. Defensive Backs

Advertisement
Alabama has 4 defensive coaches:
  1. Defensive Line (AHC)
  2. Defensive Coordinator / Outside Linebackers
  3. Co-Defensive Coordinator / Inside Linebackers
  4. Defensive Backs

True but Saban is incredibly involved in the defensive side - that's why i mentioned Richt.

The heart of the defense was Diax so good move.. all programs go outside and hire with a bang because they know name recognition is key. MR just inbread like a sectarian cult allowing the crap to grow
If Richt pulled this move with our defense ranked in the middle of the pack then I would feel like you do. But the fact that these guys are some of the top in their game makes this easier to swallow.

Jess is much better than Kul was. Banda was being mentioned with some of the top coaches around the league. Another thing, we tried all angles chasing coaches and it seems none worked out. No name Diaz hire was the first to produce at a high level so I’m willing to give these nonames a shot to keep with what’s working!

True but Saban is incredibly involved in the defensive side - that's why i mentioned Richt.

I can't disagree with you about Saban. Our staff position alignment sets us up to read the spread, which often has an extra offensive coach.

Advertisement
And when we have a top 10 D next year what will y’all say??.. it’s about the culture change that manny brought to that D. Keep the culture rolling rather than start from scratch and hiring WHOLE NEW Defensive staff..why our fans can’t fully understand that part is beyond me. Y’all act as if Banda was not mannys 1st assistant of choice his last 2 successful stops and was a huge part of this Ds success this year

Good points, continuity is critical on college football staffs. Most of these posters don’t even realize Banda was Diaz’s #1 assistant. They love Diaz, but Banda is no good in their mind. I love the Canes, but most of out fans are clueless frontrunners.

Advertisement
Good points, continuity is critical on college football staffs. Most of these posters don’t even realize Banda was Diaz’s #1 assistant. They love Diaz, but Banda is no good in their mind. I love the Canes, but most of out fans are clueless frontrunners.

You're just clueless.

Advertisement
I don't think this is a terrible decision. I'll be patient and wait and see what the team's next moves are. I came to the conclusion that the defense would take a step or two back next season anyway, so this whole Manny leaving, co-coach "debacle", isn't as big a deal for me as it might be for everyone else.

I want to see how we close on Recruiting in February (not looking so good right now), and if we make any new coaching hires. I'm not very optimistic about next season, but if Richt goes on to have a subpar season having had a poor recruiting class and not hiring someone to help facilitate a legitimate offensive system (knowing it is one of our legitimate issues), I don't know how he gets retained at the end of next season...

Never mind the fact that those two are grossly under-qualified for the position, that Miami can afford EXPONENTIALLY better, and that it is the absolute LAZIEST hire in the history of the program, no, the biggest shock from this news is that we decided to go with having 2 defensive coordinators. It gets old saying this, but we are an absolute joke of a program.

And lmao at hiring a DC in one day while Richt is taking 2 months to confirm whether we're looking for an OC or not. Fvck Miami.

Advertisement
Back