Banda-Patke co-dc, Simpson associate head coach

Richt could have just easily given them raises though. Now he has thrown all titles he can at these guys. What happens next year when someone tries to poach them?

- Banda - up & comer but a fat raise likely would have kept him from going to Temple
- Patke - a year removed from being a no one. Made him Co DC wayyyyyyyyy too early. There was little to no risk of him leaving and could have been easily replaced
- Simpson - seems like a beast but again could have given him a raise and held off on the Co AC title till next year if needed

Only good news for the D, is we know they will run the exact same D. I was concerned Richt would do some stupid **** like bring in a DC with a new philosophy. Instead he did some stupid **** in giving titles too soon and creating a defensive coaching staff that looks like it belongs to Temple under Diaz. Bold move cotton, let's see how it plays out...

I would also assume since we didn't blow $1-1.5M on a new DC (I have to imagine total raises to these three was no more than $500K but im completely guessing), we have more for a new OC & QB coach (or new OL & ST coach as well if im dreaming). But let's be honest, we aren't getting any of that. Richt is way too loyal to his coaches and way too stubborn to change course.

Advertisement
Worth adding that Jess Simpson coached teams to 10 straight state championship games. That was the expectation at Buford, who just fired their coach after failing to reach the finals the 2 years after Simpson left.

This was your national search?

We must have nobody show interest in the job and when we called around through agents they must have laughed

For the bowl game sure, but beyond that. You're telling me you're going to ride with two coaches who have 0 years of coordinator experience, and less than 5 years exp combined as position coaches. Unbelievable!

Advertisement
Im not taking credit from them as position coaches, it’s the actual game planning, adjustments and play calling all of which they have no experience with I have a problem with.
I can see where your coming from, but if you think manny comes up with adjustments ideas and game planning by himself, then your mistaking. Manny was the head and made the final decisions but its not like he came up with every adjustment, and game planning idea. Who is in the booth telling Manny all those holes in the defense that the offense is exploiting, Im pretty sure its Banda.

Just because those guys are presumably going to run the same defense doesn't mean that they are going to run the defense the same. It's great that they learned under Manny, but they've never had to decide what blitzes to use, when to use them, how to counter what other teams are doing, etc. While maybe not as much as offensive playcalling, defensive playcalling still does require a feel for the game, ability to immediately adjust, etc., which these guys have zero experience doing.

Manny was by no means perfect, but he learned to be the leader of a defense over years of experience, starting at Middle Tennesse State, and working his way up, then down, then back up again. He's had to learn to adjust. We ready to see these two guys, who didn't even coach full position groups, no learn to manage our defense mid-game, week to week, etc.? I am not excited about seeing these guys have to learn how to be coordinators on the job, at Miami.

Advertisement
Schiano was DB coach for Penn State and the Chicago Bears before being DC here.
Shannon was a DL coach and LB coach here, then a LB coach for the Miami Dolphins before being named DC.

So both guys had success as a position coach first and then learned for a year in the NFL before coming back. Different story than GA's and QC coaches.[/QUOTE

yea position coaches no of them had coordinator experience before. Banda has been with Manny for some time now so he knows the defense

Like you know what recruits look at. Recruits don't give two ***** about Xs and Os as long as they get to ball. You read all these respect the decision tweets and you think most of the kids are high level thinkers? Convince them they'll get to look good and get to the pros in your defense. Banda - point to turning Redwine from a mediocre CB to a big time safety. Show them what you did with Jaquan. Patke - point to turning Finley from a backup forgotten safety into big time player at striker. Rinse and Repeat.

RIght - they dont care about learning their craft in order to be drafted?

So when SoFla DBs are comparing Miami to LSU......so Aranda/Raymond vs Patke/Banda, they don't care about the reputations of those guys and their ability to coach kids up? Ok.

Advertisement
As I recall, there were several on this board howling, caterwauling I dare say, over Manolo being brought on board.

He's a journeyman, his dad was Mayor (true), the Texas loss at BYU (gave up a D'No-esque 553 rushing yards)!

Miami is doomed, they have given up on football!

Oye vey.
Not I!!! I read his bio and knew that if he could implement it correctly at the very least it would be 10 X better than Turky **** D!

Last edited:
Advertisement
LOL at Patke being Co DC and Rumph getting nothing. Not that im a huge Rumph fan with his recruiting failures but he has to be ******* ****ed

Exactly! I wanna see if Banda gives up coaching safeties and Richt uses his last on field spot to bump DVD up to safeties coach.

Advertisement
Back