Banda-Patke co-dc, Simpson associate head coach

Advertisement
I'm not saying Banda/Patke/Simpson are/are not the right hires.

What I will say is HC/DC/OC "skill sets" and "hire was good/bad" has reached Brobdingnagian proportions of distortion.

The screams of who is/is not qualified doesn't align with reality.

About ANY individual with proven successful leadership of a large organization could be a successful DC/OC/HC. Will they be perfect on day one? Hardly. Will they have quite a bit figured out by end of the week? If they are worth their salt 1000000% they will.

How many "hot name" hires turn out to be busts? Here's a hint, more than no name hires.

The decision is made, let's see how this plays out.
Diaz turned things around in one year with the right scheme! We knew nothing about him before he got here. He had the right idea to implement his scheme with the players he could coach from this area! Now that I'm over the shock, I think these guys should at least be given the chance! I think I can be successful as the coach with the talent from SFL if the scheme is right!! I'm beginning to actually like the hire!!

I keep hearing and reading this was because they’re great recruiters, funny last time I checked we had 10 3 stars committed, 6 kids decommit in 24 hours, and were flipping kids from App state. I’ll wait til feb. but I’m waiting to see these “great recruiters”.
nobody gives a **** about those 2020 kids decommitting, If im not mistaking the App state kid is on the offensive side of the ball, and majority of our top commits are on the defensive side of the ball.

You realize they have zero credibility as x&os guys and recruits look at this as a weak hire right???

I can’t believe your this blind.

Either you’re a hidden troll or you really can’t look at things objectively.

Like you know what recruits look at. Recruits don't give two ***** about Xs and Os as long as they get to ball. You read all these respect the decision tweets and you think most of the kids are high level thinkers? Convince them they'll get to look good and get to the pros in your defense. Banda - point to turning Redwine from a mediocre CB to a big time safety. Show them what you did with Jaquan. Patke - point to turning Finley from a backup forgotten safety into big time player at striker. Rinse and Repeat.

Advertisement
Schiano Pagano and Shannon. First time DCs. CHRIST they promoted Butch to DC when Wanny left.

Schiano was DB coach for Penn State and the Chicago Bears before being DC here.
Shannon was a DL coach and LB coach here, then a LB coach for the Miami Dolphins before being named DC.

So both guys had success as a position coach first and then learned for a year in the NFL before coming back. Different story than GA's and QC coaches.

i don't buy the idea at all being posted in this thread that richt could not find anyone better than banda and patke for this job.

coaches across the country know the defensive talent that is already on the roster, and is of course in the area for recruiting. the guy who was just the DC here got what is probably one of the best non-power 5 jobs in the country: temple's last 4 coaches (geoff collins, matt rhule, steve addazzio and he who shall not be named) all graduated to power 5 head coaching jobs. on top of all that, manny was likely getting paid $1 million+, and despite what people on this board say or want to believe, richt is not going anywhere. all of that is to say that this was obviously a very attractive DC job, offering stability, good money, and the sort of talent and visibility that can get you a good head coaching job if you succeed.

maybe richt's first choice wasn't available -- manny diaz was his second choice the first time around, after all -- but my reading of the situation is that, instead, richt believes banda and patke are the best choice for the job. i'm not saying i agree with him -- i have no idea if banda and/or patke are capable of doing the job -- just that, logically, this was a job people would want, and that richt turned down suitors from the outside.

to me, this is a volatile hire with a high ceiling and low floor. the upside is that banda and/or patke are rising stars in the coaching business who were kept in-house and will keep the defense humming until they're inevitably poached by schools with more money or better jobs. the downside, of course, is that they're not ready to handle this and the defense suffers. we shall see.

Advertisement
Like you know what recruits look at. Recruits don't give two ***** about Xs and Os as long as they get to ball. You read all these respect the decision tweets and you think most of the kids are high level thinkers? Convince them they'll get to look good and get to the pros in your defense. Banda - point to turning Redwine from a mediocre CB to a big time safety. Show them what you did with Jaquan. Patke - point to turning Finley from a backup forgotten safety into big time player at striker. Rinse and Repeat.
Omg your stupidity hurts

Advertisement
tenor (9).gif

Advertisement
Diaz turned things around in one year with the right scheme! We knew nothing about him before he got here. He had the right idea to implement his scheme with the players he could coach from this area! Now that I'm over the shock, I think these guys should at least be given the chance! I think I can be successful with the talent from SFL if the scheme is right!! I'm beginning to actually like the hire!!

As I recall, there were several on this board howling, caterwauling I dare say, over Manolo being brought on board.

He's a journeyman, his dad was Mayor (true), the Texas loss at BYU (gave up a D'No-esque 553 rushing yards)!

Miami is doomed, they have given up on football!

Oye vey.

Advertisement
Back