Banda/Diaz/Rumph recruiting style

yeaman

Redshirt Freshman
I love what these guys are doing in terms of how they evaluate and offer players. I was talking last night with a friend who is coaching high school and he told me that many college DB coaches that go into see his DB's are looking first to see if they can "cover" before they offer him. Contrast that with Miami where in interviews you can hear the coaches saying the first thing they look for is if they can tackle.

In my opinion it's way easier to coach a kid how to cover than how to have the mentality required to bring somebody to the ground. Any DB's can correct me here If I am wrong but I think many of the coaching points in tackling and coverage are similar. "Tracking the Hip" for one example.

Many of the kids they are bringing in : Bandy, A. Carter, D. Smith, now Russell have a certain mentality that allows them to be great tacklers. These are more then just "box safeties", they are savages that stop teams from getting in the endzone. I am pumped. I love this recruiting style. Banda might be my favorite coach on the staff. There's a lot here but let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Advertisement
I would say being able to cover is a lot more important considering there's 10 other guys on the defense to help with tackling. Ain't 10 other guys helping you if you're 1-on-1 in coverage. I don't think you'll find a DC in the country that just wants a bunch of tacklers at CB.

Tackling is more of a mental thing than a physical thing. You can teach coverage until you're blue in the face but a lot of it still boils down to natural ability. You'll never teach a 5'8" kid who runs a 4.8 forty how to cover. I bet he can tackle though.

CB's that get paid big bucks, get paid for their coverage ability.

However, I like the fact that they're covering those bases. I think it's the aggression that they're looking for. Aggression is aggression and most kids who are aggressive at tackling will also be aggressive on the football.

I would say being able to cover is a lot more important considering there's 10 other guys on the defense to help with tackling. Ain't 10 other guys helping you if you're 1-on-1 in coverage. I don't think you'll find a DC in the country that just wants a bunch of tacklers at CB.

Tackling is more of a mental thing than a physical thing. You can teach coverage until you're blue in the face but a lot of it still boils down to natural ability. You'll never teach a 5'8" kid who runs a 4.8 forty how to cover. I bet he can tackle though.

However, I like the fact that they're covering those bases. I think it's the aggression that they're looking for. Aggression is aggression and most kids who are aggressive at tackling will also be aggressive on the football.

Coach - I agree that you have to cover if you want to get paid but to bring the other teams stud athletes to the ground you have to be pretty athletic as well. Not sure I agree with your slow 5'8 kid being a good tackler statement. Like you said though they are looking for aggression and I think they are making that a priority in their evaluations more so than ball skills or how a kid does in the impossible 1 on 1 drills at these camps. They definitely want a kid who can cover but the main theme with the offers is aggression IMO and we can see that in all these kids hudl videos.

Anybody worried they put too much emphasis on tackling and not enough on coverage? especially from the safety position. I'm genuinely asking cause im not an expert but i was disappointed in the amount of 3rd and longs we gave up last year. As good as the defense was, two things that i saw (again im no expert so correct me if im wrong) was we had trouble getting pressure from the front 4 only and we had a lot of holes in coverage.

All i will say about this is that you aint tackling anyone if he's 3 yards in front of you and running away with the ball.

If tackling or physicality is the reason why we slowplayed Asante Samuel, that is patently idiotic. Unforgiveably idiotic.

Advertisement
Trust me the coaches aren't just looking for guys that can tackle. They aren't taking guys if they always getting beat. They're just placing an emphasis on guys that can do both, tackle and cover.

Some good **** right here

Spot on.

Advertisement
Back