Ban THIS Phrase If You Truly Want To Turn The Page

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
Premium
"They're on scholarship too."

It might be a personal pet peeve but a certain to-remain-unnamed o-lineman just used it to reference their opponents and struggles as a unit. It's a phrase that has transcended coaching regimes at Miami as my first eye stroke/aneurysm from hearing it took place under Butch. I'll even acknowledge that it's a phrase not unique to our program but what is unique is when a marquee (or wannabe marquee) program uses it to equate themselves to any scholarship player at any program.

Advertisement
Why da fck you don't want to name the GuY who said that?

It's easy enough to find. It's more the continuing use of the effing phrase and that logic than the most recent kid to use it.

It might be a personal pet peeve but a certain to-remain-unnamed o-lineman just used it to reference their opponents and struggles as a unit. It's a phrase that has transcended coaching regimes at Miami as my first eye stroke/aneurysm from hearing it took place under Butch. I'll even acknowledge that it's a phrase not unique to our program but what is unique is when a marquee (or wannabe marquee) program uses it to equate themselves to any scholarship player at any program.

Tad, didn't Eric Winston use that line long ago in defense of Coker? Or something very close to that effect?

Since that point, I was never a fan of his

He was certainly 'Cokerized'

Advertisement

Tad, didn't Eric Winston use that line long ago in defense of Coker? Or something very close to that effect?

Since that point, I was never a fan of his

He was certainly 'Cokerized'

You would be correct. I believe it was "They have scholarship players too" in his case.

I thought it was actually Coker himself who said that phrase.

I agree it's the worst excuses phrase ever. It's even worse than Al Golden's talk of the cloud.

Last edited:
I thought it was actually Coker himself who said that phrase.

I agree it's the worst excuses phrase ever. It's even worse than Al Golden's talk of the cloud.

Don't dismiss "bagmen". That seems to explain every recruit we don't get.

Advertisement
Everyone Bama plays is on scholarship......Bama does a helluva of job of making them look like they aren't.

John McKay had many great quotes, but a favorite, after a loss at USC, was 'the other team has players and coaches, too.'

Advertisement
Back