Bama Booster passion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine you put more thought into that post than most people in Alabama do about race.

I'm constantly amazed at how posters here talk about pretty much the entire south as if it's populated by nothing but racists. You should all get out more as the majority of people I've met couldn't care less about that ****.

I imagine you didn't put any thought into yours.

Advertisement
I hope these foundations in the SEC get prosecuted as a Cartel for Money Laundering and Tax Evasion.

So I’m military and had to go recieve training on a program I’m taking over. The trainer was a civilian who was a huge Bama fan. As he was showing me training objectives and items on his computer screen I peeped his internet tab and saw rivals, 247, scout and Espn. After about an hr of job related training we took a coffee break and the conversation turned to college football specifically Bama. This guy was in his late 40’s to early 50’s, retired military, and now holds a high level GS position in the Department of Defense. What shocked me is he knew detailed intel on this cycle’s recruits for Bama. ALL OF THEM. He knew about Tyson Campbell and Surtain from last cycle and he basically stopped inches short of saying he pays into a foundation that pays recruits. He gloated about his signed memorabilia and his love for he team. He said for his part “hypothetically he would do whatever was needed for his team to win” his words. I know I’m not saying anything that’s not already known on here but today was my first time interacting with an individual who openly represents this complex system that yields massive results for Bama in terms of recruiting. I brought up Kirby smart and he scoffed. “He’s recruiting well because he’s using our blueprint” “but Georgia is a wanna be and they jus put together a system based off ours without the infrastructure” again his words.
At this point my only hope is the FBI eventually cracking heads to at least slow down this madness. Because in the name of winning it’ll only continue to get worse.
FBI could not find a hooker in a whorehouse

"This guy was in his late 40’s to early 50’s, retired military, and now holds a high level GS position in the Department of Defense. "
Another government leach double dipping into a system with retirement and good benefits. Find a real public job azs hole. I was in the **** end in 1969-1980 in the front line in Nam. .

I hope these foundations in the SEC get prosecuted as a Cartel for Money Laundering and Tax Evasion.
Russian collusion, obstruction of Justice!

Get Mueller on it! We need to impeach Nick (real name Nikolai) Saban.

Advertisement
I mean, yeah, you're right. Bama fans do use winning games as a source of pride/confidence, but they take it completely to another level. Their fan base is almost like a mindless cult (i.e. Scientology).

Alabama is the fourth poorest state in the US, so I'm sure a lot of those people donating money to the football program are going broke all so they can see the program succeed.
It's not the poor people donating. It's the rich that are making money off of them keeping them poor. Football is a distraction for the ills of the state. Think of the movie Gladiator where Ceasar had those barbaric games in the Coliseum as a distraction while plotting to get rid of the Senate. They're poor, but at least they can feel good about their football team. This is America.👍

It's not the poor people donating. It's the rich that are making money off of them keeping them poor. Football is a distraction for the ills of the state. Think of the movie Gladiator where Ceasar had those barbaric games in the Coliseum as a distraction while plotting to get rid of the Senate. They're poor, but at least they can feel good about their football team. This is America.👍

You’re conflating a bunch of things that don’t make sense.

It’s the Deep South with a long rich tradition of college football dating back to almost the turn of the century. Up until the late 60’s/early 70’s it was a predominately whites only club (the Bear Bryant era and before) before segregation and needing to remain competitive forced their hand in accepting AA’s.

So football has always been big there. And the boosters have always been there, white, wealthy, and since Saban came, even more ready to do what’s necessary.

Comparing it to the movie Gladiator is just silly. Alabama football is not about addressing the inequities in society, providing an opiate for the masses, or keeping the masses happy. It’s about keeping their boosters and contributing fanbase happy. If the hoi polloi are are onboard the bandwagon, it’s just a happy side effect, but they couldn’t care less.

It's not the poor people donating. It's the rich that are making money off of them keeping them poor. Football is a distraction for the ills of the state. Think of the movie Gladiator where Ceasar had those barbaric games in the Coliseum as a distraction while plotting to get rid of the Senate. They're poor, but at least they can feel good about their football team. This is Merica.👍

FIFY

Advertisement
You’re conflating a bunch of things that don’t make sense.

It’s the Deep South with a long rich tradition of college football dating back to almost the turn of the century. Up until the late 60’s/early 70’s it was a predominately whites only club (the Bear Bryant era and before) before segregation and needing to remain competitive forced their hand in accepting AA’s.

So football has always been big there. And the boosters have always been there, white, wealthy, and since Saban came, even more ready to do what’s necessary.

Comparing it to the movie Gladiator is just silly. Alabama football is not about addressing the inequities in society, providing an opiate for the masses, or keeping the masses happy. It’s about keeping their boosters and contributing fanbase happy. If the hoi polloi are are onboard the bandwagon, it’s just a happy side effect, but they couldn’t care less.
I'm not conflating anything. You have made my point. Football is a comforting distraction from everyday life. It especially applies to poor impoverished areas. People then forget about their problems for the moment and that is a good thing. However, sport also becomes a pacification.

I am African American. I know the history of segregation in football and other sports. No history lesson needed. When faced with poverty and the problems that it brings to youth in the form of drugs, gangs, etc, the leadership of society has brought 2 things: More prisons and more athletic fields. Ask yourself why AA's dominate the landscape of football and basketball in the college and the pros? It's because these are the value systems society has placed upon us. This is also the values AA's have placed upon ourselves. Too many of our parents focus on what the kid does in sports and not in the classroom. Kids spend countless hours on the fields or on the courts perfecting their athletic craft and incorrectly believing they are academically inferior. I often ask kids how much time do you spend in the library compared to sports?

I love sports. The negative side is that we have pacified the problems of poverty in doing so. That is the point of my Gladiator comment. The citizens of Rome loved the spectical of the Coliseum. So do the citizens of Alabama. Neither improved the socioeconomic position of the people as a whole regardless of race.

As I said, I'm African American. I grew up poor. I played D-1 athletics. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science and and a Master's Degree in Computer Engineering. I've lived this experience. I understand the dynamic.

I'm not conflating anything. You have made my point. Football is a comforting distraction from everyday life. It especially applies to poor impoverished areas. People then forget about their problems for the moment and that is a good thing. However, sport also becomes a pacification.

I am African American. I know the history of segregation in football and other sports. No history lesson needed. When faced with poverty and the problems that it brings to youth in the form of drugs, gangs, etc, the leadership of society has brought 2 things: More prisons and more athletic fields. Ask yourself why AA's dominate the landscape of football and basketball in the college and the pros? It's because these are the value systems society has placed upon us. This is also the values AA's have placed upon ourselves. Too many of our parents focus on what the kid does in sports and not in the classroom. Kids spend countless hours on the fields or on the courts perfecting their athletic craft and incorrectly believing they are academically inferior. I often ask kids how much time do you spend in the library compared to sports?

I love sports. The negative side is that we have pacified the problems of poverty in doing so. That is the point of my Gladiator comment. The citizens of Rome loved the spectical of the Coliseum. So do the citizens of Alabama. Neither improved the socioeconomic position of the people as a whole regardless of race.

As I said, I'm African American. I grew up poor. I played D-1 athletics. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science and and a Master's Degree in Computer Engineering. I've lived this experience. I understand the dynamic.

Let me kill this with one comment. The socioeconomic inequities, while severe in Alabama, are not limited to only that area, as there are plenty of other areas where there is no equivalent team to worship to pacify the disenfranchised. That was the one comment. Now....

I’m the last guy to cape for them, btw.

The way out is to do exactly what you did. Focus on education. Athletics are important, but for most kids, academics more so. We have to stop the self destructive aspects of the culture which make it uncool to be smart and get good grades.

I don’t get into this stuff on this board because that’s not what I'm here for, but since you brought yourself up as an example, I wanted to give you the props for what you’ve done.

There’s too much politicking on all sides and not enough emphasis on steering the socioeconomically disadvantaged to focus on their education, I have a bias towards STEM, but also business, as well as the high paying trades (welding, plumbers, etc).

The focus seems to be on throwing money at bureaucracies rather than outcomes based programs that focus on results and outcomes for the end users, ie, the students.

We spend far more per student than just about every other developed country on a per capita basis, yet we get smoked on standardized tests by countries that spend much less. Undeniable fact.

And that’s all I’m saying on that.

I think you're giving Bama fans waaayyy too much credit. They just wanna win football games. They dgaf about the people playing. They don't consider the ballplayers people, they're commodities. For all Saban and Bama fans care the dudes wearing crimson could be blue robots.

Literally just numbers on a helmet.

Back to football - if Bama fan don't think Kirby and Georgia don't have da infrastructure to compete with Bama they wrong.

Advertisement
I imagine you put more thought into that post than most people in Alabama do about race.

I'm constantly amazed at how posters here talk about pretty much the entire south as if it's populated by nothing but racists. You should all get out more as the majority of people I've met couldn't care less about that ****.

Clearly they have never been to Boston or they would understand true racism - hatred.

Advertisement
So I’m military and had to go recieve training on a program I’m taking over. The trainer was a civilian who was a huge Bama fan. As he was showing me training objectives and items on his computer screen I peeped his internet tab and saw rivals, 247, scout and Espn. After about an hr of job related training we took a coffee break and the conversation turned to college football specifically Bama. This guy was in his late 40’s to early 50’s, retired military, and now holds a high level GS position in the Department of Defense. What shocked me is he knew detailed intel on this cycle’s recruits for Bama. ALL OF THEM. He knew about Tyson Campbell and Surtain from last cycle and he basically stopped inches short of saying he pays into a foundation that pays recruits. He gloated about his signed memorabilia and his love for he team. He said for his part “hypothetically he would do whatever was needed for his team to win” his words. I know I’m not saying anything that’s not already known on here but today was my first time interacting with an individual who openly represents this complex system that yields massive results for Bama in terms of recruiting. I brought up Kirby smart and he scoffed. “He’s recruiting well because he’s using our blueprint” “but Georgia is a wanna be and they jus put together a system based off ours without the infrastructure” again his words.
At this point my only hope is the FBI eventually cracking heads to at least slow down this madness. Because in the name of winning it’ll only continue to get worse.
And what exactly do you think mark emmert is gonna do to his boys for a system that he himself has openly supported

There’s some truth to what he’s spitting. I’ve lived here for 9 years, and the “Good Ole Boy Network” is alive and well homeboy.

Clearly they have never been to Boston or they would understand true racism - hatred.
That place might be the worst in the country. The New England Irish are some of the worst in the country. If you don’t believe me, Robert Kraft will show you every Sunday throughout the fall.

Bingo.

Lucky for us we don't have to do any of that stuff. We have a football history of rebellion and swagger which many kids love about Miami. It just a matter of putting something good on the field and putting dudes in the league early in the draft and poof just like that despite Alabama's system they won't get kids from here easily because most kids love the U just not enough to put their futures in it's hands in our current state.
Preach homie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back