Baker visits with Louisiana 4-star DE Williams, extends offer

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
With early offers from Florida, Texas A&M, and Tennessee, 2020 Isidore Newman (LA) 4-star DE Brandon Williams has been heavily pursued by the SEC so far. On Monday, Williams added his first big-time ACC offer when the Miami Hurricanes and Blake Baker came calling, and the Canes DC visited Williams at his high school in Louisiana to extend the good news.

“Coach Baker came by school at around 3 and, it was actually funny, I had left school by then and I got a call from my coach saying Miami’s DC was at the school for me and to come back,” Williams said. “So, I went back and got to talk to coach Baker and he said he wanted to offer me in person. This was my first time talking to a Miami coach, so the relationship just started, and I’m excited to build on it.”

While he doesn’t know much about the Hurricanes’ program just yet, Williams plans to lean on a former Miami star that’s also from Louisiana for advice.

“It was an offer I wasn’t expecting, but I’m actually very close with Ed Reed and I texted him almost immediately about that offer,” Williams said. “I’d love to talk more about Miami with him because I don’t know too much right now.”

So what are the things he does know about the Canes’ program?

“I know it’s an extremely good school in a great city, and the football program has historically been one of the best in the nation,” Williams said. “They’re a blue blood and going to a city like that and playing major football at ‘The U’ is really appealing.”

At 6’3” 220, Williams lines up all around the field to make plays for Isidore Newman, but UM sees him as primarily a defensive end in their 4-3 scheme.

“They like me with my hand in the dirt and feel that I’m most effective as a pass rusher,” said Williams.

With his signing day nearly a year away, Williams has no decision timetable and wants to take his time in choosing the right program. In fact, the Louisiana product states that he’s very open to learning about new schools, and wants to explore all of his options.

“I don’t have a top group right now, but the three teams that have been coming at me hardest are probably Florida, Tennessee, and LSU,” Williams said. “Everyone’s still in the race for me right now, though.”

Aside from a planned trip to UF this spring, Williams has no other visits on tap. Though he doesn’t have anything set right now, Williams plans on coming to Coral Gables in the near future to take in the campus and build a better relationship with the coaching staff.

“With Miami being the program and school they are, UM is definitely somewhere I’ll want to go to campus and see to strongly consider,” Williams said. “I go to Florida in April on the 15th, but other than that I’m not sure yet.”

In the end, the biggest deciding factors for Williams will be the general environment surrounding the program and how well he can develop both as a player and a person at his school of choice.

“I want just a homey feeling towards that school, as well as great fan support, a great culture, and players and coaches that will bring out the best in me.”

Advertisement
Great, an assistant coach showed up and extended a scholarship offer. Could we just say that rather than all the other fluff? None of this is relevant and will change a dozen times over the next 10 months.

Advertisement
Ed’s first potential job on the recruiting trail. If this kid comes or we’re even seriously in the running for a kid from Isidore Newman with an LSU offer, maybe Ed is actually down for the recruiting part of coaching in college football.

I feel like LSU has the easiest recruiting for their state kids. Louisiana has only one big time school. And it seems like they pretty much get 85% of the top talent. And there’s a lot of talent in that state and it seems like all LA kids love LSU. Yeah they’ll lose a Landon Collins or Gerald Willis every now and then but really I think of all the elite programs out there they have, in my opinion, the easiest path to a top class

I feel like LSU has the easiest recruiting for their state kids. Louisiana has only one big time school. And it seems like they pretty much get 85% of the top talent. And there’s a lot of talent in that state and it seems like all LA kids love LSU. Yeah they’ll lose a Landon Collins or Gerald Willis every now and then but really I think of all the elite programs out there they have, in my opinion, the easiest path to a top class
You ain’t never lying! Kids down here are raised to be a LSU tiger! I don’t see this kid coming but like I seen somebody else say, might as well shoot ya shot!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Newman isn’t necessarily a feeder school for LSU.Of the 4 guys that went to the NFL OBJr is the only one that went to LSU.

Both the Mannings went elsewhere and the other kid went to Minnesota.

If there ever was a chance to get a kid out of La. Newman would be the school.Its a small private school whose parents are mostly well off and aren’t normally deterred by bags.

Not saying the kids coming just saying him being from Newman will give us a decent shot.

Great, an assistant coach showed up and extended a scholarship offer. Could we just say that rather than all the other fluff? None of this is relevant and will change a dozen times over the next 10 months.

WTF... It's a recruiting update.

incredulous.gif

Why the **** do you even pay attention to the recruiting board then?

Newman isn’t necessarily a feeder school for LSU.Of the 4 guys that went to the NFL OBJr is the only one that went to LSU.

Both the Mannings went elsewhere and the other kid went to Minnesota.

If there ever was a chance to get a kid out of La. Newman would be the school.Its a small private school whose parents are mostly well off and aren’t normally deterred by bags.

Not saying the kids coming just saying him being from Newman will give us a decent shot.
Umm yeah cost of schooling there is close to 25k a yr! They used to be in our district for football, b-ball, baseball! Me and Eli got into a few shoving matches back in the day on the basketball court! Goofy *******!
It’s definitely not a feeder school but anybody that lives in Louisiana already knows how majority of parents push their kids there....Parents are super proud to go around and tell people their child plays LSU football

Last edited:
Advertisement
He’s a coordinator.

Advertisement

Long shot to get the kid, but in the offseason for a 2020 kid from LA to boot, why would you not want to learn that he knows Ed personally?
You didn't have to read the rest of the article past the second paragraph...****, maybe even the title should have been good enuff for you.

UM

Nice to see us hitting TX and LA like we use to do. Not getting many but a couple here and there would be fine. Nice job!

Advertisement
Back