Baker goes in-depth on injury updates, roster construction, and recruiting

People just love to *****. It’s what they do. And when you mix misery with the inability to comprehend common sense, you get the majority of this board.
View attachment 116290
1588870538981.jpeg

Advertisement
interesting O.C. wants to play fast so he runs a simple scheme that you can pick up quickly, the D.C. just wants to draw all of these complex schemes. you may be able to get away with this in the NFL where you have endless hours of practice time, but when you got limited time just keep things simple >

To us homers this dude has no business being DC here. But Miami sucks so someone as unqualified as Baker actually does belong at a place where 7-5 is the norm. Can we confirm if Manual took over play-calling duties after the VT debacle?
Manny should keep Blake on a short leash and if his play calling sucks this year, then strip him of his duties.

I am very nervous about the secondary. I think teams will be able to pass on us this season. Go canes!!!!!!
There's a ton of talent in that secondary compared to the teams we play. If we get torched in the throw game again, especially given the monsters up front, who should shorten significantly the amount of processing time the QB has, then Manure and Faker should guzzle some Bleach'tinis.

Advertisement
There's a ton of talent in that secondary compared to the teams we play. If we get torched in the throw game again, especially given the monsters up front, who should shorten significantly the amount of processing time the QB has, then Manure and Faker should guzzle some Bleach'tinis.
I personally don't love the corners especially. I remember reading about what that talent evaluator said about our secondary. It was definitely concerning. The safeties are decent. Go canes!!!

I personally don't love the corners especially. I remember reading about what that talent evaluator said about our secondary. It was definitely concerning. The safeties are decent. Go canes!!!
Anonymous talent evaluators should be viewed with a skeptical eye. Our DB talent compared to our opposition offenses (which is all that matters) should be a strong positive in our favor.

Anonymous talent evaluators should be viewed with a skeptical eye. Our DB talent compared to our opposition offenses (which is all that matters) should be a strong positive in our favor.
UNC and FSU have a good receiving core. My husband said he saw that UNC was ranked in the top 10. But I here you. Hopefully they improve from last season. Blades showed some flashes but he definitely got beat far to many times. Ivey definitely struggled. Those two definitely need to take the next step. If they don't, we might be in trouble. Go canes!!!

Advertisement
I really can't grasp what their standard is...we had an elite run defense last season (I've already broken down in intricate detail why in another thread). Did we take a step back in the pass game? Yes, and that was to be expected since we lost four ******* seniors from the secondary. We still had an outstanding defense. Had we a competent offense or a kicker we'd have been playing Clemson in the ACCCG in 2019.
It wasn't as bad as some people make it out to be. Certainly not enough to fire the dude. It was an above average D I thought could've been better. But, there were some real head scratchers weaved into the season. Not even 4th and 17 (where we couldn't get settled and I blamed Diaz for not leveraging a TO to get a look at UNC's set and seal the game). And, not even the long pass play that essentially lost the UF game (Amari Carter lined up incorrectly). Overall, we were top level in yards per play, which is a great sign considering how many 3 and outs we had on offense. But, we took a considerable step back on 3rd down %s. And, that has a lot to do with defensive playcalling.

You saw Manny himself struggle with this early as a Miami DC and then switch it up the following year. Part of that is Redwine and Jaquan helped as seniors. Another part of that is he zone blitzed less belligerently. Baker came in last year and tossed around some zone blitzes. After a few of them, he went back to the well too often. I mean, by game 2, if the other team was in a significant conversion opportunity, you might as well prepare for a DB (corner or deep Safety) to come off the boundary. If some of us dopes on a message board can pick up that tendency, surely our opponents could as well. We did well with some stunts and games from the DL. They quickly became stale and teams just sat there waiting. Just two examples, but they're at least part of the reason we saw an enormous decline in defensive stop %. I'd guess Baker himself would acknowledge he has to get better there.

It wasn't as bad as some people make it out to be. Certainly not enough to fire the dude. It was an above average D I thought could've been better. But, there were some real head scratchers weaved into the season. Not even 4th and 17 (where we couldn't get settled and I blamed Diaz for not leveraging a TO to get a look at UNC's set and seal the game). And, not even the long pass play that essentially lost the UF game (Amari Carter lined up incorrectly). Overall, we were top level in yards per play, which is a great sign considering how many 3 and outs we had on offense. But, we took a considerable step back on 3rd down %s. And, that has a lot to do with defensive playcalling.

You saw Manny himself struggle with this early as a Miami DC and then switch it up the following year. Part of that is Redwine and Jaquan helped as seniors. Another part of that is he zone blitzed less belligerently. Baker came in last year and tossed around some zone blitzes. After a few of them, he went back to the well too often. I mean, by game 2, if the other team was in a significant conversion opportunity, you might as well prepare for a DB (corner or deep Safety) to come off the boundary. If some of us dopes on a message board can pick up that tendency, surely our opponents could as well. We did well with some stunts and games from the DL. They quickly became stale and teams just sat there waiting. Just two examples, but they're at least part of the reason we saw an enormous decline in defensive stop %. I'd guess Baker himself would acknowledge he has to get better there.

Excellent, excellent post. I'd pay a lot of money to be on a board with people like you and others here who are rational, intelligent, knowledgeable football heads.

What people simply cannot grasp here is the first 3 sentences. My god. IT WAS AN ABOVE AVERAGE DEFENSE. And of course, could have been better. But you don't ******* fire coaches, especially at this school, for what Baker and his defense did last year. I mean, not that we should ever settle for anything remotely close to this, but we watched Mark D'Onofrio coach defense here for FIVE GOD**** SEASONS, and we think what we've seen the past 4 years should cause people to lose their jobs on the defensive side of the ball? Is the defense elite? No. Is it a good defense? Yes. Can it be better? Of course it can. But the defense has been so much better than the offense and special teams since Manny was hired it's actually comical. What people cannot understand is if you gave Miami an offense just equivalent to the defense, we'd be the 4 time defending coastal champions and possibly be giving Clemson at least a hint of a run in Charlotte. Without a doubt.

I get that it's the off-season and we're in a quarantine and there's nothing to talk about, but Jesus Christ page after page blasting a defensive coach for going on the radio after what the defense has PROVEN to be, at worst, very good over the past 4 years is absolutely asinine.

Baker has a lot to improve on. To say he should be fired after what we saw last year is typical Miami fan nonsense.

Last edited:
Advertisement
UNC and FSU have a good receiving core. My husband said he saw that UNC was ranked in the top 10. But I here you. Hopefully they improve from last season. Blades showed some flashes but he definitely got beat far to many times. Ivey definitely struggled. Those two definitely need to take the next step. If they don't, we might be in trouble. Go canes!!!

I'm no longer that worried about CBs. Blades is going to take that next steps. He's got that dog in him. And we have more than just Blades and Ivey. Don't discount Couch and Christian Williams. They're both high quality. And we have a couple more freshmen CBs plus Tae Williams coming in who can all help out.

And yet they will still be outcoached and outplayed by high school caliber teams.

FFS. GT, now in its 2d year of forward pass concepts, is going to prison rape our Canes this year.

I say half joking, and half not.

So...he is a unit of measurement as in "a rimjob and 3/4s" or he is worth only a "rim job and $.75"?

I need a ruling here.

Whatever you're asking, needs to be escalated from the circuit court, I'm definitely not qualified or understand the question !

Advertisement
Baker had the “smartest guy in the room” syndrome at times last year. Made things a lot more complicated than it needed to be (4th and 17).

For this season, you’ll have 2 great pass rushers (most likely 3 once Phillips proves himself). You can do creative things with those guys up front but you need to let them pin their ears back and go get the QB when it’s 3rd and obvious. Play smart, sound coverage behind and let your playmakers do what they do best.

Baker had the “smartest guy in the room” syndrome at times last year. Made things a lot more complicated than it needed to be (4th and 17).

For this season, you’ll have 2 great pass rushers (most likely 3 once Phillips proves himself). You can do creative things with those guys up front but you need to let them pin their ears back and go get the QB when it’s 3rd and obvious. Play smart, sound coverage behind and let your playmakers do what they do best.
That's the problem with innovation. Sometimes you over do it. The season showed Baker might of been in over his head....

Advertisement
Back