Baker and Rumph give rundown on defense after final spring practice

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
After Thursday’s practice, the last of spring ball, defensive coordinator Blake Baker was asked to pick out some MVP’s on defense that have really stood out to him.

“The guys that have really, really been consistent are obviously Shaq (Quarterman) and (Mike) Pinckney,” Baker said.

How about guys that surprised him?

“I keep saying DJ Ivey is really starting to really show up, Gilbert Frierson is another one that’s maybe not a household name yet but those two are continuing to get better every single day,” Baker said.

At defensive tackle, the Canes have to replace a ton of production in 2019 after the departure of Gerald Willis, but Baker has been pleased with what he’s seen from that spot.

“Pat Bethel has had a really solid spring, the big surprise to me out of that group - Jon Ford and Nesta (Silvera),” Baker said. “Those two have had spectacular springs. Tyreic Martin is doing some good things inside. I think we have a solid group in there. They’ve been a pleasant surprise.”

Due to the injuries at linebacker, redshirt freshman Patrick Joyner has spent this week practicing at LB after working at DE this spring. Baker says that will likely continue in Saturday’s spring game.

“He will probably play MIKE and WILL this Saturday,” Baker said. “I think he can fill a role there for us.”

The goals for the spring game, which will be held in Orlando’s Camping World Stadium?

“Have fun, play together, great effort and great energy. If they can do those things, the rest will take care of itself,” Baker said. “It’s not just a spring game. We need to go and make this as realistic a preseason game as we can make it.”

Miami’s first contest of the season against the Florida Gators is still 4 months away, but that hasn’t stopped Baker from taking a look at their offense.

"We've already started watching some of them," Baker said.

Baker added that he thinks incoming freshmen linebacker Sam Brooks will start at MIKE with Avery Huff at WILL when they arrive over the summer.

**Cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph spoke after Thursday’s drills about the progress he’s seen from the younger players at his position.

“They’ve had their ups and downs, which is typical of spring, but I saw some progress,” Rumph said. “I saw some progress in DJ Ivey, some physicality, I think he can cover really well. I think he understands the defense. I saw some flashes from Al Blades, just look for him to be consistent at the position now that he’s not playing nickel, playing more corner. And Nigel Bethel, who was an athlete in high school, is really honing in on the cornerback position - even though he redshirted last year he started to pick up things really fast.”

On Blades: “I want to see him relax and play,” Rumph said. “He thinks a lot more than he should, and I’ve seen him progress to where he’s not thinking as much, is very comfortable. One thing I preach to them is being comfortable in an uncomfortable situation where you can let yourself play and let your athleticism speak for itself.”

On Ivey: “DJ kind of reminds me of myself,” Rumph said. “I’m being honest - he’s a big corner, uses his length very well. I really thrived on physicality, and he’s starting to get that. He’s starting to love the weight room, understands how big he is and what I expect out of him. He can be an elite corner in the ACC if he puts his mind to it and has a consistent sophomore year.”

Rumph also added that junior CB Trajan Bandy has really stepped up and become the leader of the room.

“Trajan has been a very big vocal leader. He is the veteran player back there.”

UM will add two freshmen to the mix over the summer when Christian Williams and Te’Cory Couch arrive on campus. Rumph stressed that the pair will have every opportunity to earn playing time with the overall depth numbers low at corner.

“X’s and O’s, I did a good job speaking to them on the phone, letting them know mentally they have to come in here prepared to play,” Rumph said. “The thing they’re going to have to do really fast is learn the physicality that we play at, setting edges, the small intricate things and the terminology and communication we do on a daily basis.

“Whoever can come in and communicate, tackle and run to the ball super hard has the opportunity to play as a freshman. The guys that do that are the ones that typically start for me and come out and play a lot of snaps.”

What is he expecting to see out of his group at Saturday’s spring game?

“I just want to see them play very hard for their teammates, be physical at the line of scrimmage,” Rumph said. “Run to the ball super hard and everything else will work itself out.”

The spring game will be held in Orlando at Camping World Stadium, the same site as where Miami will open the season against rival UF. According to Rumph, that was by design.

“It’s a situation where we can mentally pretend that we’re getting ready for the game,” Rumph said.

Orlando is known as a bit of a Gator stronghold in terms of fan support, but Rumph says it’s not out of the question that the Canes could gain a few more supporters.

“We’re going to be Hurricanes, wherever we go we travel with a bunch of fans,” Rumph said. “Maybe when we leave it might be Hurricane land.”

Advertisement
After Thursday’s practice, the last of spring ball, defensive coordinator Blake Baker was asked to pick out some MVP’s on defense that have really stood out to him.

“The guys that have really, really been consistent are obviously Shaq (Quarterman) and (Mike) Pinckney,” Baker said.

How about guys that surprised him?

“I keep saying DJ Ivey is really starting to really show up, Gilbert Frierson is another one that’s maybe not a household name yet but those two are continuing to get better every single day,” Baker said.

At defensive tackle, the Canes have to replace a ton of production in 2019 after the departure of Gerald Willis, but Baker has been pleased with what he’s seen from that spot.

“Pat Bethel has had a really solid spring, the big surprise to me out of that group - Jon Ford and Nesta (Silvera),” Baker said. “Those two have had spectacular springs. Tyreic Martin is doing some good things inside. I think we have a solid group in there. They’ve been a pleasant surprise.”

Due to the injuries at linebacker, redshirt freshman Patrick Joyner has spent this week practicing at LB after working at DE this spring. Baker says that will likely continue in Saturday’s spring game.

“He will probably play MIKE and WILL this Saturday,” Baker said. “I think he can fill a role there for us.”

The goals for the spring game, which will be held in Orlando’s Camping World Stadium?

“Have fun, play together, great effort and great energy. If they can do those things, the rest will take care of itself,” Baker said. “It’s not just a spring game. We need to go and make this as realistic a preseason game as we can make it.”

Miami’s first contest of the season against the Florida Gators is still 4 months away, but that hasn’t stopped Baker from taking a look at their offense.

"We've already started watching some of them," Baker said.

Baker added that he thinks incoming freshmen linebacker Sam Brooks will start at MIKE with Avery Huff at WILL when they arrive over the summer.

**Cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph spoke after Thursday’s drills about the progress he’s seen from the younger players at his position.

“They’ve had their ups and downs, which is typical of spring, but I saw some progress,” Rumph said. “I saw some progress in DJ Ivey, some physicality, I think he can cover really well. I think he understands the defense. I saw some flashes from Al Blades, just look for him to be consistent at the position now that he’s not playing nickel, playing more corner. And Nigel Bethel, who was an athlete in high school, is really honing in on the cornerback position - even though he redshirted last year he started to pick up things really fast.”

On Blades: “I want to see him relax and play,” Rumph said. “He thinks a lot more than he should, and I’ve seen him progress to where he’s not thinking as much, is very comfortable. One thing I preach to them is being comfortable in an uncomfortable situation where you can let yourself play and let your athleticism speak for itself.”

On Ivey: “DJ kind of reminds me of myself,” Rumph said. “I’m being honest - he’s a big corner, uses his length very well. I really thrived on physicality, and he’s starting to get that. He’s starting to love the weight room, understands how big he is and what I expect out of him. He can be an elite corner in the ACC if he puts his mind to it and has a consistent sophomore year.”

Rumph also added that junior CB Trajan Bandy has really stepped up and become the leader of the room.

“Trajan has been a very big vocal leader. He is the veteran player back there.”

UM will add two freshmen to the mix over the summer when Christian Williams and Te’Cory Couch arrive on campus. Rumph stressed that the pair will have every opportunity to earn playing time with the overall depth numbers low at corner.

“X’s and O’s, I did a good job speaking to them on the phone, letting them know mentally they have to come in here prepared to play,” Rumph said. “The thing they’re going to have to do really fast is learn the physicality that we play at, setting edges, the small intricate things and the terminology and communication we do on a daily basis.

“Whoever can come in and communicate, tackle and run to the ball super hard has the opportunity to play as a freshman. It’s been like that 2-16. The guys that do that are the ones that typically start for me and come out and play a lot of snaps.”

What is he expecting to see out of his group at Saturday’s spring game?

“I just want to see them play very hard for their teammates, be physical at the line of scrimmage,” Rumph said. “Run to the ball super hard and everything else will work itself out.”

The spring game will be held in Orlando at Camping World Stadium, the same site as where Miami will open the season against rival UF. According to Rumph, that was by design.

“It’s a situation where we can mentally pretend that we’re getting ready for the game,” Rumph said.

Orlando is known as a bit of a Gator stronghold in terms of fan support, but Rumph says it’s not out of the question that the Canes could gain a few more supporters.

“We’re going to be Hurricanes, wherever we go we travel with a bunch of fans,” Rumph said. “Maybe when we leave it might be Hurricane land.”
Excellent as usual Stefan!

Advertisement
You can tell Ivey is his guy....Blades must be a little behind.

Maybe. Ivey has had a great spring by many accounts, but Blades was getting some positives mentions throughout spring too, especially at the beginning. Maybe he just kind of evened out and Rumph is just trying to push him to that next level. If jr is anything like sr, Rumph will know exactly what buttons to push. They both are going to get a lot of reps regardless.

We have to assume (even if its for the sole reason they play in the SEC for powerhouse programs) that Surtain Jr and TC will be household names this coming season..there is no reason why Ivey and Blades Jr should not be either. Both should come into this season with a chip on their shoulders. We got nobody else behind them, its their secondary now even though Bandy is the leader.

Advertisement
Ford, Bethel and Nesta have to play their azzes off. I think we solid at DE with Rousseau, Gavin, Patchan and Harvey. With Phillips and the VT guy that group is our deepest unit.

Advertisement
Back