Back up QB

Bird4um

Sophomore
Premium
For the life of me, can't figure out why coaches don't play back ups when a team is up big. See a kid in action and get some experience.

Advertisement
Handing the ball off with 2 minutes left in the game isn't effective.

Play them the whole 4th quarter with the starting O, and throw 60% of the time....

We would have a better guess at who our next QB will be.

Advertisement
Snaps in garbage time don't tell you much about anyone. If it's not garbage time, you don't pull your starting QB.

Handing the ball off with 2 minutes left in the game isn't effective.

Play them the whole 4th quarter with the starting O, and throw 60% of the time....

We would have a better guess at who our next QB will be.

And when we lose the game you'd be saying "that's ok, at least we know that guy won't be the started next year. Well worth taking a loss for knowledge like that."

I think it would slightly different if it hadn't been Kaaya's first year in the offense. He needed the reps.

Advertisement
I get what OP is saying, I think. Assuming he is talking only about when games are no longer in doubt, put the backup in and actually run an offense. I agree in that regard, with all sports. I think it's ridiculous that backups don't get to "play", even when they come in the game in most sports, unless they are on the team getting their *** kicked. Like when walkons get in at the end of a basketball game and just have to stand there dribbling out the shot clock, f that, run the offense and try to get in the box score.

The game has changed a lot over the last 5-10 years. Teams score so quickly and momentum shifts on a dime. A 21 point lead isn't what it used to be.

For the last 5-6 years we have not been up by enough points in games to be able to put in the backup with the exception of the preseason games at the beginning of the year.

Advertisement
Rosier is basically the only QB with any game experience...Who can forget that stellar Duke game, kid kept us in it for the most memorable play in the last 15 years...Thanks to Corn Elder...

I agree. A backup QB should be able to play in about 5 or 6 games for us this coming year easily. Game experience can only help. Playing the Backup QB can only help with recruiting and retention.

Last edited:
Advertisement
we will I have a 1st year starter and a backup. Everyone else may transfer out. I would like for the 1 and 2 to both have real game experience.

Can anyone tell me why Jack Allison is left out of the conversation. Was he that bad in practice last year?

Advertisement
Back