Baby Jesus comin

I've never gotten the "Golden favors seniors, and plays them over clearly better underclassmen" narrative. Take a look at the roster, a large portion of those guys have either been starters, or have seen ample playing time as underclassmen.

That narrative was fabricated by guys who wanted to see Freshmen play without even knowing whether or not the Freshmen had shown anything in their preparation/practice that made them worthy of burn.

No, that narrative comes from the fact that Golden chose to constantly start and give meaningful minutes to players like Gaines, Highsmith and Shayon when there were highly recruited, highly rated freshman that showed flashes of briliance when they got on the field. You seriously think Carter couldn't have performed at AT LEAST the level of Highsmith? Or that Quan and Tyriq couldn't do the job Shayon did? Gaines was ok, but when you have guys like Kirby on the bench, why not give him burn? The defense was ATROCIOUS the past two years. Why not at least go down swinging with the youngsters?

You just made my point...you have no proof of what they were capable of, but decided that they should've gotten minutes because you know more than the guys who see them in practice everyday.

Oh you mean the guys who watch them in practice and also produced the two worst defenses in school history? Forgive me for questioning their decisions.

Advertisement
I don't mind Williams starting, as long as it is not like last year where no matter what he gets to KEEP starting. I think Williams will throw more to the TE, more over the middle, more "move the chains" throws. That is a good thing. He should have plenty of arm for long plays--which do not all have to be long throws. However, with two top young guns sitting on the bench, we cannot tolerate another "he is my QB" year. Maybe pulling a young QB would hurt his confidence but Williams is a senior so who cares. He gets his shot and HAS to deliver or get pulled. This is Al call and his job on the line. I just hope that stubborn nature we have seen doesn't make him stick with a loser again.

It is hard to understand how if Williams wasn't good enough last year to pull a QB who was obviously have trouble hitting the ground with spit, that the same dude is not locked as starter. That troubles me. I wanted Williams in last year but Al didn't. Did someone hit him with the smart stick AFTER the Loserville game? Anyway, it is nice to have 3 QBs next year to fight about who should start.

Everybody loves the backup or the guy thats not expected to start at the QB spot…But this is different as they both seem to be even except Williams started at a D1 program before

I agree Gator, I think we were in a situation with Morris, that he gave us our ONLY shot at winning. When he did not play well, we stuck with him. It sucks, but it is mostly true. With Williams, I think he understands what he is at this point, a placeholder for the the upcoming season. That's why I think he was so receptive to teaching KO and helping him get the playbook, that's just his nature. But don't get me wrong, I believe he wants to start badly, but he recognizes his skill set, and just wants to be given a fair shot to compete and start if he does win. I hope this is a decision that comes right down to the wire, and both these guys will continue going at it until the final week of fall camp.

I'm just hoping more competition at the QB spot, in addition to more talent than we've had at the QB position in a LONG time (Williams/Olsen/Kaaya/Rosier) will help us to get a QB who can put the offense in the best position to succeed.

I could care less who gets the job as long as they can do the job. My biggest concern at this point isn't who's pulling the trigger, but moreso who's giving the orders (Simple #Dale). The OC had better make some major strides and improvements in play calling, otherwise--you could put Marino or Montana back there in their primes and we would still be incapable of picking up 3rd downs.

Advertisement
I told you guys 3 months ago that Kevin Olsen was finally getting his head on right, and things could be dangerous. The only thing stopping him from starting over Williams is the knowledge of the playbook. By the time summer rolls around Baby Jesus will have a full head of steam. May the best man win.

I told you guys 3 months ago that Kevin Olsen was finally getting his head on right, and things could be dangerous. The only thing stopping him from starting over Williams is the knowledge of the playbook. By the time summer rolls around Baby Jesus will have a full head of steam. May the best man win.

I'm pumped to hear Olsen has his head right. He's got more natural ability than Williams and I feel like we should go with him and allow him to get the experience this season.

:stormwarning:Let's hope the reason Golden stuck with the Sr.'s last year was a sort of a token of his appreciation, for having to go through the whole NCAA ordeal.... There's only a handful of Sr.'s on this team and most will start and rightfully so, but with that said let's leave the past behind us and let the best player start.... If it's close, Olsen should get the start, and we should be looking towards the future.... Except for a few lost scholarships over the next couple of years let that be the only reminder of NCAA ordeal,
and lets start playing with some SWAG....

Last edited:
I've never gotten the "Golden favors seniors, and plays them over clearly better underclassmen" narrative. Take a look at the roster, a large portion of those guys have either been starters, or have seen ample playing time as underclassmen.

That narrative was fabricated by guys who wanted to see Freshmen play without even knowing whether or not the Freshmen had shown anything in their preparation/practice that made them worthy of burn.

No, that narrative comes from the fact that Golden chose to constantly start and give meaningful minutes to players like Gaines, Highsmith and Shayon when there were highly recruited, highly rated freshman that showed flashes of briliance when they got on the field. You seriously think Carter couldn't have performed at AT LEAST the level of Highsmith? Or that Quan and Tyriq couldn't do the job Shayon did? Gaines was ok, but when you have guys like Kirby on the bench, why not give him burn? The defense was ATROCIOUS the past two years. Why not at least go down swinging with the youngsters?

First let me preface this with saying I think what the coaching staff is doing with the D sucks.

No that that is out of the way, here's why the narrative is wrong. The playing time given to those you mentioned has nothing to do with seniority, really, it has everything to do with their grasp of the defensive scheme. Golden and Dorito believe completely in this defense. Guys like Highsmith, while not as talented as some of the younger guys, were showing the best grasp of the system. I guarantee you he was probably nailing everything in film study, practice, etc., always knowing the right place to be. So the coaches play the guy showing the best grasp of the system believing it more important to have someone in their place than to have someone more talented out of place. The coaches have played a ton of young guys, but they aren't going to play them if they feel the kid will be trying to freelance and rely on talent alone.

Advertisement
I don't mind Williams starting, as long as it is not like last year where no matter what he gets to KEEP starting. I think Williams will throw more to the TE, more over the middle, more "move the chains" throws. That is a good thing. He should have plenty of arm for long plays--which do not all have to be long throws. However, with two top young guns sitting on the bench, we cannot tolerate another "he is my QB" year. Maybe pulling a young QB would hurt his confidence but Williams is a senior so who cares. He gets his shot and HAS to deliver or get pulled. This is Al call and his job on the line. I just hope that stubborn nature we have seen doesn't make him stick with a loser again.

It is hard to understand how if Williams wasn't good enough last year to pull a QB who was obviously have trouble hitting the ground with spit, that the same dude is not locked as starter. That troubles me. I wanted Williams in last year but Al didn't. Did someone hit him with the smart stick AFTER the Loserville game? Anyway, it is nice to have 3 QBs next year to fight about who should start.

I agree.

When I wanted Morris to start over Harris, it was because I thought he would bring elements to the game with his feet and learn the underneath value in checking down, etc. Needless to say, that never materialized...and it seemed like if it wasn't a WR swing or screen, it was a 20+ yard bullet down field or deep shot. Anything 20 yards or less seemed like a distant memory.

I think Olsen may have all the tools, but if Williams can re-establish the underneath stuff as his bread and butter and succeed in taking more occasional deep shots to keep defenses honest, his maturity may be a benefit.

All I really care about is a true battle royale QB competition measuring all aspects of their games. I like what Golden did throwing Olsen into a 1st team 2 minute drill with no advanced notice....I just need to see him stop holding Olsen back now that he is showing some maturity. He seems to have a player development handbook that he is unwilling to deviate from, but for the future.....time to see what kind of load Olsen can carry now with an equal chance to win the job, even if he doesn't.

UM

HE COMIN

Update on #Canes QB competition from AG: Ryan Williams still leading & "doing a good job." Olsen "getting better, starting to close ground."
12:07pm - 26 Mar 14

HE COMIN

Update on #Canes QB competition from AG: Ryan Williams still leading & "doing a good job." Olsen "getting better, starting to close ground."

This is just lip service. Golden is clearly, rigidly loyal to Seniors. Remember last year when Golden was talking about how Williams was closing ground on Morris?

Wait, what?

Advertisement
HE COMIN

This is just lip service. Golden is clearly, rigidly loyal to Seniors. Remember last year when Golden was talking about how Williams was closing ground on Morris?

Wait, what?

I really dont remember him ever saying that

HE COMIN

Wait, what?

You don't remember Golden saying that because he didn't.

HE COMIN

Wait, what?

You don't remember Golden saying that because he didn't.

LOL -- We have to take a wait and see approach about Senior Loyalty. I still think he was being loyal to the players that stuck around and kept the program from imploding. Here is to hoping to see the meeting of his actions and rhetoric!

Advertisement
Very intersting to see the language coming off of the Spring game. Ideally you want to annoint someone so they can really lead through the summer and the team focuses around that guy. If that doesn't happen they are leaving it open that Olsen will start or they could even share time.

Advertisement
Back