B Smiff and George Confidence To The Moon

I’ve been asking for them to play smith more. I know we keep hearing Ray Ray but Smith should get first shot at the 4th WR.

Ladson is 8th string now btw it seems. Him and Redding can’t even get in the field.
WR dont rotate alot.. Smith had like 1 catch for 0 yards before yesterday.. top 3 guys getting like 90% of reps and rest gonna be fighting for scraps based on substitution patterns in first few weeks..

Last edited:
Advertisement
I’ve been asking for them to play smith more. I know we keep hearing Ray Ray but Smith should get first shot at the 4th WR.

Ladson is 8th string now btw it seems. Him and Redding can’t even get in the field.
Agreed. Good problem to have. I also would like to see B Smith on all kickoffs AND punt returns. Give Restrepo a breather.

Very cool I watch George burst onto the scene like this.
Talent was always there. The arguments from last year feel even more hilarious. He may not be a superstar, and he may have his ‘work ethic’ more on track now, but it’s absolutely wild to see people trash our WR group last year and not put the majority of that weight on coaching/scheme/approach. Nuance seems to escape most that want to label players like George as either a star or trash. All you have to do is use the search function on this site. Whatever he does for the remainder of the year, I think the point has been proven.

Advertisement

The one thing TrumpyCane noticed about Ladson last night was that he was engaged the entire game

Cheering on teammates, patting them on the helmet, etc

The one thing TrumpyCane noticed about Ladson last night was that he was engaged the entire game

Cheering on teammates, patting them on the helmet, etc
Yea I dont think it has anything to do with doghouse or anything like that, rotations are very tight.. 4th and 5th guys are barely getting reps, if you are below that, its gonna be tough..

Huge difference between these two and several others that have stayed and stepped up versus those that were processed out or left. Many of the ones that stayed have really stepped it up and are finally contributing.

Advertisement
I was super stoked when B Smith took that KO return to the house and am super happy he's been playing well. I have been waiting for him to succeed since I was a big fan of us getting him out of HS. So glad the Gattis factor has departed and I'm proud of Mario for green lighting the new stuff.
1 game at a time now. Go Canes 🏈

Xavier Restrepo has 314 receiving yards this year.

In 2022, we had 2 kids who had more than that FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON.

Jacolby George has 4 receiving touchdowns this year.

In 2022, our leading receiver caught 5.

Restrepo is also averaging 105 YPG. Charleston Rambo set the school record for receiving yards in a season, and he averaged 98 YPG that season.
If he keeps this pace teams will be forced to focus a little more on Restrepo. Will be interesting to see what Shannon does with that. My guess is Cobie Young is frequently left one on one and I think he will eat. He has been the one quiet receiver so far, I dont see it staying that way for too much longer

Advertisement
If he keeps this pace teams will be forced to focus a little more on Restrepo. Will be interesting to see what Shannon does with that. My guess is Cobie Young is frequently left one on one and I think he will eat. He has been the one quiet receiver so far, I dont see it staying that way for too much longer
True, X is eating a a big clip yardage wise right now. What he brings in the middle of the field and as TVD’s safety valve can’t be understated. Would like to also see the TEs catch more balls, would open up the sidelines more for George and Young.

Advertisement
Confidence is incredibly amazing psychological thing. When you believe you can do it, you play harder, your mind is more at ease, your mind is sharper. Even TVD's confidence between the 1st easy game vs this one is noticeable. Last night he just looked like he knew he was the best player on the field and very at ease making throws.

Regarding George and Smith, it's been huge. Now they know they can do it, so they will compete even more now as they have a taste of success. Plus confidence from the COACHES makes a big difference, too. They start trusting guys more and give them more opportunities, which builds more trust.

The whole Colbie thing is overblown, IMO. Guy balled last week and had a rough night. It happens. But lets break down the rough spots:
  • First catch I thought he heard footsteps from the defender. I'm fine with that in THIS game. Don't need him getting jacked up vs Bethune.
  • Leaping attempt in double coverage in the back of the endzone. Not ideal drop, but it also wasn't an easy catch like George dropped last week.
  • Fumble at the goal line: dude was trying to make an aggressive play, which I'll take. Freak play. Happened to freakin' Justin Jefferson last night, too (had to watch both my teams deal with that the same night). Plus it was definitely targeting by the letter of the law and should have not been reversed.
  • Stopping short of the first down: yeah not great, but he doesn't have the benefit of the yellow line like we do.
Rough game, but people need to chill out. He's balled since getting a chance. Rather have it against Bethune than a big game.

Advertisement
Back