Awesome article on Michigan State's def vs Michigan

dg151

Sophomore
Not specifically Miami related, but with all the whining going on about the defensive scheme, I figured some people right want to read this article and learn a little bit about one (if not the best) defenses in the country.

Eleven Angry Men: How Michigan State disrupted Michigan with brilliant defensive work

While the article mostly focuses on certain plays and schemes Sparty used, it also mentions a bit about their players on defense. I hadn't seen much MSU this year so I actually watched the Mich/MSU game yesterday and their talent level on defense really is impressive. They definitely do a lot of great things scheme wise on defense (which crazily enough, we ALSO run some of the same concepts, because contrary to some beliefs, we do have a D1 defensive coordinator employed), but they really are stacked on defense. Calhoun, Bullough, Allen, Drummond and Dennard are all studs. I think of Miami's defenders, only Perryman, Tracy and maybe Chick would start for MSU. S&P is a efficiency stat made by footballoutsiders, Michigan State is #1 just ahead of Virginia Tech (Miami is 40th overall, for reference)

I really don't want to compare Michigan State's defense to Miami's too much, because they're at very different points in their developments, but thought people might enjoy reading a really good article on a great defense.

Advertisement
Chick wouldn't start for any top ten defense.

The kid is a hard worker but basically knows how to engage his blocker and never let go.

I've never understood why people assume that everyone's roll on a D is to always bulk rush the QB or ball hawk and roam around like a bozo

Know that players need to play certain rolls to benefit the entire D

Michigan States defense is hella good. Them cats get at it. Like there is no tomorrow.

Advertisement
Not specifically Miami related, but with all the whining going on about the defensive scheme, I figured some people right want to read this article and learn a little bit about one (if not the best) defenses in the country.

Eleven Angry Men: How Michigan State disrupted Michigan with brilliant defensive work

While the article mostly focuses on certain plays and schemes Sparty used, it also mentions a bit about their players on defense. I hadn't seen much MSU this year so I actually watched the Mich/MSU game yesterday and their talent level on defense really is impressive. They definitely do a lot of great things scheme wise on defense (which crazily enough, we ALSO run some of the same concepts, because contrary to some beliefs, we do have a D1 defensive coordinator employed), but they really are stacked on defense. Calhoun, Bullough, Allen, Drummond and Dennard are all studs. I think of Miami's defenders, only Perryman, Tracy and maybe Chick would start for MSU. S&P is a efficiency stat made by footballoutsiders, Michigan State is #1 just ahead of Virginia Tech (Miami is 40th overall, for reference)

I really don't want to compare Michigan State's defense to Miami's too much, because they're at very different points in their developments, but thought people might enjoy reading a really good article on a great defense.

That's some beautiful stuff. Aggressive. Creative. Imagine that executed by Florida speed......

How did they get all the talent?

They didn't. They got some good ballers and developed and coached up others.

That second half is the equation that gets lost in the conversation about Miami's defense and its supposed lack of talent.

One of the coaching staffs you're talking about evaluated and recruited those players before coaching them up, the other one didn't. So, Michigan State got talent by evaluating players well, and then developing those talents.

Advertisement
Funny how they "hugged" the RB out of the backfield on that screen. That is exactly how it's done and that is what didn't get executed on FSU's 50 yard screen play. We just need to keep cutting down on the mental errors. Golden will keep moving the D forward. If we don't have a top 10 D in the next 2 years I'll eat my own ***.

Funny how they "hugged" the RB out of the backfield on that screen. That is exactly how it's done and that is what didn't get executed on FSU's 50 yard screen play. We just need to keep cutting down on the mental errors. Golden will keep moving the D forward. If we don't have a top 10 D in the next 2 years I'll eat my own ***.

At what point are persistent mental errors a failure of coaching?

How did they get all the talent?

They didn't. They got some good ballers and developed and coached up others.

That second half is the equation that gets lost in the conversation about Miami's defense and its supposed lack of talent.

One of the coaching staffs you're talking about evaluated and recruited those players before coaching them up, the other one didn't. So, Michigan State got talent by evaluating players well, and then developing those talents.

You next year our D will actually be good and aggressive? We won't let Wake go up and down the field?

No you won't

Advertisement

At what point are persistent mental errors a failure of coaching?

See.....I can get down with that. If the players aren't responding to coaching, then you need to get someone in there who will or change your communication methods. I can't get down with the multiple.....this scheme sucks threads.

Golden did say that they are down on mental errors 50% from last year at this same point. I'll take his word for it. I have full faith that they'll get things rectified.

As I've stated in past threads, it's not like Coach D and Golden don't have a track record of having good defenses. They do.....multiple year runs @ Virginia and Temple. They will get it turned around.

Last edited:
Anyone peeked at their (MSU) schedule? Not exactly a bunch of high-powered offenses on there.

Advertisement
Love Narduzzi's defense. Quarters is the rage in all levels of football now and he's probably the best at running it. It's a very disciplined defense that requires great eye discipline. 2nd best defensive coach in America other than Saban IMO.

You might want to load up on some breath mints.

Advertisement
Back