Avoiding 2018 LSU QB Situation

So your point is you want Martell to get beat out or redshirt so Williams and Perry can stay? If Martell is eligible and he is the best of the 3, then he starts. Williams gets an opportunity of a restart. Some kids adjust to their status well. For others, it takes time. Perry needs to grow up. He gets a restart as well.

Advertisement
I don't understand the idea of not bringing in talent because it might possibly scare others off. You get as many quality players as you can and let them fight for the spot. I'm sure at least one of these guys will transfer at some point. It's college football in 2019. Guys transfer. You sign another QB from the class of 2020.

At this moment, Georgia has one scholarship QB on their roster, Jacob Fromm. Fields transferred and they have an incoming freshman who may or may not have signed already on early signing day. (not sure if he has). It's what happens. You can only play one QB at a time and guys are going to move on if they can't get on the field.

I can see your point, and I think Tate will be very good for us, but so might be Williams. Williams, like most P5 QBs, has his personal QB coach that he works with during the offseason. So while Richt jr. was pathetic as a QB coach, I can see Williams coming into Spring prepared to battle and have a legit chance. Lets see
Agreed. Don't understand why so many are just writing off Williams like he's a nobody. He was a highly-regarded recruit. He was never given an opportunity here. Just because he was a 4-star and Martell was a 5-star means nothing. Many 4 star recruits become better players than 5-star recruits. Give him an equal opportunity, with actual coaching and development, before writing him off.

No one said don’t bring in talent, just trying to have a culture where people don’t just bolt and you are 1 injury away from disaster.... but like someone just mentioned seems like once you have an elite guy, your best bet is a freshman back up waiting his turn

QBs are different than any other position in sports.

You are either the man or on the bench, with the clock ticking the entire time.

No nickel package, four wideouts or double tight ends to get you on the field for some PT.

You’re just out.

That’s why they transfer so much. And with the increase in waivers it’s only going to become more prevalent .

Advertisement
Agreed. Don't understand why so many are just writing off Williams like he's a nobody. He was a highly-regarded recruit. He was never given an opportunity here. Just because he was a 4-star and Martell was a 5-star means nothing. Many 4 star recruits become better players than 5-star recruits. Give him an equal opportunity, with actual coaching and development, before writing him off.

I don't know if everybody is writing off Williams. It's just that when you can't beat out Rosier or Perry, people are going to doubt you. Also, the fact that the coaches are actively searching for quarterback help gives you the impression that they're not exactly satisfied with Williams, Perry or Weldon.

Martell got playing time behind a Heisman finalist last year at Ohio State and played well (albeit in garbage time). Williams couldn't sniff the field and the guys ahead of him on the depth chart were pretty terrible. Maybe that was Richt's fault? Maybe the coaching change will light a fire?

Then there was the whole transfer/not transfer drama after the season that left a bit of a sour taste in a lot of peoples' mouths. I'm sure the new coaches will give him every opportunity to win the starting job. It's up to him to improve his play and stay out of trouble.

I don't know if everybody is writing off Williams. It's just that when you can't beat out Rosier or Perry, people are going to doubt you. Also, the fact that the coaches are actively searching for quarterback help gives you the impression that they're not exactly satisfied with Williams, Perry or Weldon.

Martell got playing time behind a Heisman finalist last year at Ohio State and played well (albeit in garbage time). Williams couldn't sniff the field and the guys ahead of him on the depth chart were pretty terrible. Maybe that was Richt's fault? Maybe the coaching change will light a fire?

Then there was the whole transfer/not transfer drama after the season that left a bit of a sour taste in a lot of peoples' mouths. I'm sure the new coaches will give him every opportunity to win the starting job. It's up to him to improve his play and stay out of trouble.

But the "can't beat out Rosier or Perry is not a valid, or fair, argument. Williams was never given that opportunity.

We already went through this. Jack Allison and Vinnie Jr. left too. Cannon Smith and Taylor Cook. It happens. We aren't going to worry about swapping people in (Rob Marve/JAcory Harris) to keep someone on the team.

But the "can't beat out Rosier or Perry is not a valid, or fair, argument. Williams was never given that opportunity.
What evidence do you have that says he wasn't given an opportunity? Was he not at practice with Perry and Rosier every day? Do you think the coaches purposely ignored him even though he was markedly better than the other guys? He'll get a shot again this year with the new coaches. Manny said they all have a clean slate. If he's the best, he'll play.

Advertisement
I strongly believe 2 of the 3 will leave between Weldon, Perry, and JW. Maybe not all this offseason, but they’ll transfer at some point. If Martell gets the waiver and clearly wins the job during the spring. One of the 3 will definitely transfer this offseason. I still wouldn’t be surprised to see Jarren win the job. It’s going to depend on what type of offense we want to run. You have to think Martell has the edge since they’re going for guys like Lance and Plumlee but who knows.
What’s obvious is that the coaches are smart taking steps to avoid an LSU situation by trying to get 3 QBs this cycle.

What evidence do you have that says he wasn't given an opportunity? Was he not at practice with Perry and Rosier every day? Do you think the coaches purposely ignored him even though he was markedly better than the other guys? He'll get a shot again this year with the new coaches. Manny said they all have a clean slate. If he's the best, he'll play.

Not every True Frosh can start - **** Tua couldnt move ahead of Jalen until Satan had no choice

Advertisement
Back