Avoiding 2018 LSU QB Situation

Prizzle

Freshman
Ok, we’ve seen this story before... OSU QB (Joe Burrow) transfers to LSU, gets named starter, the rest of the QB’s bounce... Now that Tate Martell is officially a cane, we all know the story for the next 8 months will revolve around the QBs. I think having multiple QB transfer out is a real possibility if Tate is named starter, and is the reason why the coaches just picked up Carson Proctor (new qb grad transfer), and are pursuing Lance Legendre (which would be the 6th QB on the roster.) I personally am starting to think the best case senario is Tate has to sit a year or gets beat out by J Williams. Let Enos pull the best out of Perry or Williams and see what they can do and hopefully avoid a mass exit. Having said that, I think we can all agree no matter what happens the start of 2019 is looking WAY better then how 2018 ended!
3535A48A-0C3F-4EB4-9845-C9ACC7A22B70.jpeg

Advertisement
Very good chance we enter the 2019 season with just Martell and LeGendre as the only scholarship QBs. If Tate gets immediate eligibility that is..

Advertisement
Advertisement
Tate is the starter next year if granted eligibility.

Perry will never sniff another snap and will likely get kicked off the team for another infraction.

Williams will push Tate and really improve under Enos and realize it's in his best interest to stay.

Weldon is a career scout team QB and it is immaterial what happens to him.

This JC QB probably has amazing work ethic and is why they wanted to bring him in. He'll never see the field but will show others how hard you have to work if you want a chance.

Need to recruit a freshman QB every single cycle so if that's Lance that will have no bearing on Tate or Williams.

Absolutely love the competition Diaz and Enos are creating for by far and away the most important position in football.

Very good chance we enter the 2019 season with just Martell and LeGendre as the only scholarship QBs. If Tate gets immediate eligibility that is..
Highly doubtful. IF Tate gets the waiver, I still think 1 of the 3 scholarship QB's will stay on the roster to be the backup. Any QB we bring in for 2019 will probably be redshirted.

Ok, we’ve seen this story before... OSU QB (Joe Burrow) transfers to LSU, gets named starter, the rest of the QB’s bounce... Now that Tate Martell is officially a cane, we all know the story for the next 8 months will revolve around the QBs. I think having multiple QB transfer out is a real possibility if Tate is named starter, and is the reason why the coaches just picked up Carson Proctor (new qb grad transfer), and are pursuing Lance Legendre (which would be the 6th QB on the roster.) I personally am starting to think the best case senario is Tate has to sit a year or gets beat out by J Williams. Let Enos pull the best out of Perry or Williams and see what they can do and hopefully avoid a mass exit. Having said that, I think we can all agree no matter what happens the start of 2019 is looking WAY better then how 2018 ended!
View attachment 77508

No Eddie O lied to the other QBs that he would give them a fair shot when actually he gave all the first team reps to Burrow

Advertisement
No Eddie O lied to the other QBs that he would give them a fair shot when actually he gave all the first team reps to Burrow
Well that could make since... I just really hope there is open competition. J William deserves a better shot then last year... especially when Richt said he was most accurate and that “good things seem to happen” with him but wouldn’t play him

May the best man win the job aka Tate vs Williams. If Tate wins, which he should, then I don't really care who transfers away.
Why do you think Tate beats out Williams? Williams has all the tools. Just needs a true QB coach and scheme. I'm good with anyone who wins the job outright, but I'm not jumping to conclusions before even spring ball

IMO Best case scenario would be:
-We get Legendre;
-Best man wins, hopeful Martell;
-The trio, Weldon, JW and Perry bounces during or after the season;
-We sell Carson Beck(2020 QB) on a shot to start or compete for PT right away with Martell and LeGendre.

But at the end of the day I really don’t care. I just want quality QB play, it doesn’t matter who it’s.

I want to watch a UM QB drop back and instead of expecting an incompletion or interception expect an accurate pass, maybe even a big play.

A lot of people have hopes for JW, but some things that I have heard don’t make me a fan. I heard rumors about him lacking energy on practices and getting out of shape (Mike Ryan of the Dan Lebatard show). Threatening to transfer out and having to be talked out of it. I think Stefan said on a podcast that he doesn’t think JW really wanted to be a Cane and maybe just got caught up on the hype after ND.

Perry had some special moments last year, but by the end of the year he was a mess. I’m hoping this was another case of mal practice of the Richt family and he can get back on track.

It’s way too early to know and at the end of the day we will find out in August, but it’s fun to speculate as fans.

Advertisement
Why do you think Tate beats out Williams? Williams has all the tools. Just needs a true QB coach and scheme. I'm good with anyone who wins the job outright, but I'm not jumping to conclusions before even spring ball

Wins it because he has more experience (barely), has coaching from Ryan Day, based on his film he is very good at creating plays and lastly he wasn't poisoned by Jon Richt and his nonsense that Williams had to go through for a year. If Tate was 6'1 compared to 5'11 people would not even be arguing about this topic.

I just think Tate is something we have never had here. Don't get me wrong I like Williams and hope he is great and if he wins the job, awesome! He does have all the tools but can he put it together? He basically wasted a year under Richt by having no experience and the worst QB coaching imaginable while Tate got to get experience and be coached by Ryan Day & Haskins.

Wins it because he has more experience (barely), has coaching from Ryan Day, based on his film he is very good at creating plays and lastly he wasn't poisoned by Jon Richt and his nonsense that Williams had to go through for a year. If Tate was 6'1 compared to 5'11 people would not even be arguing about this topic.

I just think Tate is something we have never had here. Don't get me wrong I like Williams and hope he is great and if he wins the job, awesome! He does have all the tools but can he put it together? He basically wasted a year under Richt by having no experience and the worst QB coaching imaginable while Tate got to get experience and be coached by Ryan Day & Haskins.

I can see your point, and I think Tate will be very good for us, but so might be Williams. Williams, like most P5 QBs, has his personal QB coach that he works with during the offseason. So while Richt jr. was pathetic as a QB coach, I can see Williams coming into Spring prepared to battle and have a legit chance. Lets see

I can see your point, and I think Tate will be very good for us, but so might be Williams. Williams, like most P5 QBs, has his personal QB coach that he works with during the offseason. So while Richt jr. was pathetic as a QB coach, I can see Williams coming into Spring prepared to battle and have a legit chance. Lets see

Can only hope so! Pains me that Williams didn't get to play over Perry & Rosier when we all know he was/is better

Advertisement
Back