Avery Huff Shuts Down Recruitment

View as article

Matthew_Suero

Junior
Premium
Linebacker is one of the biggest needs of this 2019 recruiting class. Miami already has verbal commitments from Sam Brooks, Anthony Solomon, and Avery Huff, the newest of these being Huff. After a decommitment from Jesiah Pierre, these commitments became even more important. It should please you to know that Huff is about as solid as possible.

“Like rock.”

The 6’3’’ 200 pound linebacker is looking to get bigger and hopes to be 215 pounds by the time Aquinas starts their season against DeMatha on August 25th.

“I think it will be a great game and great chance to show how hard we work and how our coaches prep us.”

This will be Huff’s first game at Aquinas. Before this spring, Huff played at McArthur. These are two very different schools and football programs. What has Huff seen as the biggest difference?

“Just a better environment and resources.”

St. Thomas just finished up their spring football.

“Most definitely increased my talent and football knowledge this spring.”

Huff will play at both outside linebacker and strong safety for Aquinas this upcoming season. Coach Diaz sees Huff playing outside linebacker, while also getting some reps at striker.

Aquinas has loads of D1 talent on their defense, so just how good can they be?

“Sky’s the limit.”

Coach Diaz and Coach Pakte double teamed Huff’s recruitment. They showed him just how perfectly he fit Miami’s system and culture.

“I just like the scheme. Just fits me. Like I was made for it.”

Schools like FSU, Alabama, UF, and Ole Miss were all recruiting Huff hard. He also took visits to South Carolina, Georgia, Georgia Tech, UCF, and LSU. So why did Huff pick Miami?

“Just had a better connection with coach Manny better than the other coaches.”

Anthony Solomon was already committed to Miami when Huff jumped on board. Did Solomon play a big role in Huff’s decision?

“No but it’s like icing on the cake.”

Before Huff jumped on board with Miami, he attended to junior day event.

“I was late but I met people like Reggie Wayne and lots of great football players.”

At the junior day, all the recruits get a chance to watch Miami practice.

“Yeah I watched their practice. Even though it was just uppers it was very physical. The linebackers do a lot. Miami likes their linebackers to be able to cover and come and hit. I think that’s why they like me and Solomon.”

Based on what Huff saw from the practice, he has high hopes for the 2018 season.

“With the squad I seen, they can go undefeated.”

How good does he think Miami’s defense can be?

“Best in the country.”

Huff is not talking to any other schools and has shut down his recruitment. He also has a message for Canes fans.

“Just wanna thank them for showing so much love.”

Advertisement
I hope he can specialize in a position this fall at STA and not get lost in perfecting his craft. Put this beast at OLB and let him feast.

Advertisement
Welcome young man. Time to eat!!
1527622108206.jpeg

we slowly but surely getting back to what a Miami defense should look like.

Advertisement
Is that because of need of Aquinas or huff just wanted to try it out ?
I do not know for sure but my guess is they are trying him a bunch of different places just because of how great an athlete he is. Also they have a surplus of linebackers. If he can play somewhere else that let's them get more talent on the field.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Good to know, this is my favorite prospect in this class. I have been wanting a true plus size linebacker that actually plays linebacker and not DE for what seems like a few years now. Great news if he is athletic enough for safety also at a power house like STA.

Advertisement
Back