Average Class Rank Under Golden?

SmokeyRone

All-ACC
Purgatory
I know his 2010 class was a rush job, but even with the cloud, his classes were all top 20, right?

This year looks like about 12-15 when all is said and done.

Anyone know? I don't follow other boards or recruiting sites, so my guess is based on memory.

Thanks

Advertisement
What's up, smokey. I've got the rivals rankings here for you.. Not sure about the others.

2010: 16th
2011: 36th
2012: 9th
2013: 20th

Last edited:
247:

2011: 34th
2012: 10th
2013: 14th
2014: 10th (current)

Tough to judge on 2011 because he was in a big time hole.

Guess the true average would be around 11th (2012-2014).

Would be nice to see the results on the field equal or better our recruiting averages.

According to 247sports.

2013: 14
2012: 10
2011: 33

Average of 19.

Average of 12 if you don't count the the rushed 2011 year.

Advertisement
Thanks guys, when I said 2010, I meant after the 2009 season, NSD 2010.

I would say that we have to produce a record and results on the field in 2014. Seems like we are playing "down" and not "playing up".

Advertisement
All I know is this staff isn't gonna out-scheme anyone so they **** sure better out-recruit other teams.

Thanks guys, when I said 2010, I meant after the 2009 season, NSD 2010.

I would say that we have to produce a record and results on the field in 2014. Seems like we are playing "down" and not "playing up".

NSD 2010 was still Shannon's class.

2011 was Golden's first. That one was the rush job and was ranked poorly

Advertisement
Well, unless these sorry *** Coastal teams like UVA, UNC, GT and Duke had better recruiting than us the last few years, I'd say thay we perform poorly with the talent we have.

I really can't hate on some of the talent that AL has brought in since he has been here...
-It is really hard to tamper my expectations with all the challenges he has...
-Only knock is he just has to be prepared to deal with the kids who may or may not qualify
and that do not want to put on for city...Got to be a couple steps ahead..

Actually teams like UVA,UNC,GT and Duke had better players than our guys like
Gaines
Porter
Robinson
Armbrister
Rodgers
Highsmith
Green

And then Morris becoming awful...

I'd say they very well could have recruited better. It doesn't take much to do better than that bunch... Bad!!!!

Advertisement
Last year was a mess. 20th according to rivals and that is with our highest rated commit never having a chance to make it in (Griffin). All he did was boost our ranking but everyone knew he wasn't going to make it. We finish 29th without his late committment.

I also think he gets way too much of a pass for 2011. I have seen other coaches make bigger impacts late in a class after being hired. **** even Shannon pulled in some big pick ups late when he was hired in 2007.

Last edited:
Interesting note for those who say rankings don't matter. Lets look at the 2012 class. Top 10 ranked players vs Bottom 10 players (247 composite)

1. Duke Johnson
2. Tracy Howard
3. Jelani Hamilton
4. Tyriq McCord
5. Deon Bush
6. Raphael Kirby
7. Erick Flowers
8. Malcolm Lewis
9. Danny Isodora
10. Herb Waters
----------------------
Highest to Lowest in bottom 10

1. Vernon Davis
2. Danny Dillard
3. Larry Hope
4. Nate Dortch
5. Gabe Terry
6. Josh Witt
7. Ladarius Gunter
8. Jake O'Donnell
9. Dequan Ivery
10. David Thompson

Obviously are top 10 are self explanatory, they are some of the best players on the team.

Bottom 10: 6 no longer on team (bad luck with Witt), only 1 impact player: Gunter, 3 guys still trying to find playing time (still plenty of time to develop): O'Donnell, Hope, Dortch

Average rating would be a better indication. When you sign 30 kids it isn't hard to be in the top 10.

Average rating would be a better indication. When you sign 30 kids it isn't hard to be in the top 10.

Not true at least with Rivals....
They take pretty much only your top 20 guys, they will include the others also but for minimum points.

Advertisement
Back